NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Default Help, please, with these 3 unknowns

I can't identify these, can anyone help? The first two came from a mostly-Indians lot, and the last from a mostly-Phillies prospects lot.

Thanks, Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0278.jpg (72.1 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0262.jpg (67.4 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0049.jpg (69.3 KB, 282 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I think the first is Curt Schilling
Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

You know what, I think you're right! I'm so used to his sig where the last name looks like a B.

Thanks!
Ken
Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM

First one is Schilling and the last one is Nomar Garciaparra.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM

I hope I'm not being insulting, but I never will understand how people can care about scribbles like these.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I hope I'm not being insulting, but I never will understand how people can care about scribbles like these.
David, since you post something about scribbles and "who cares" just about every time I ask a question like this, I'm pretty sure you DO mean to be insulting.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Well, Ken, you're wrong.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Well, Ken, you're wrong.
Good, I hope you don't want to be insulting. So why post this so many times? What does it add to anything?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 PM

Nothing, I suppose. I didn't realize I was posting many times.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I think the second one is Jose Mesa.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Bill H@e1ig

The last one is Miguel Tejada
Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I hate to tell you with autographs like that there garbage I don't know why anyone would collect them.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Thanks, guys, Tejada and Mesa it is.

Kevin, thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the thread.

Ken
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Kevin O'Gara

guys we go through this time and time again it gets old and tired looking at the garbage that is signed these days by the guys that don't care about penmanship. KEN sorry for hurting ur feelings.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
guys we go through this time and time again it gets old and tired looking at the garbage that is signed these days by the guys that don't care about penmanship. KEN sorry for hurting ur feelings.
It's a sign of the times, penmanship isn't what it used to be. Bread isn't a nickel a loaf anymore either. That doesn't mean people can't collect it or come here for help though, right?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Michael I.

Quote:

+1 with David here....Hard to see why anyone would collect scribbles for autographs. There is something nice about an athelete who takes pride in giving a fan a nice autograph he or she can show off to future generations aka Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, Cobb. If I have to ask a forum to help me identify an auto then what is the use of collecting it...Just my opinion for what its worth...sorry if that offends.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:58 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

While I do not like or admire the signatures or lack of penmanship of today's athletes it is a fact that we must accept , even grudgingly so. If you want autographs of the majority of , if not all of today's top athletes you have to put up with the sloppy signatures and for the most part a bad attitude as well.
We will never see the clear legible autographs like we did until the last 15-20 years or on the vintage pieces out there that we so love to see and collect.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Steve Zarelli

I don't buy the "they don't teach penmanship" argument. I work with plenty of 20-something interns, many of whom have excellent penmanship and sign their names legibly. Plus, even if you struggle with script, one could still write their name stylishly and legibly in print style letters.

In my opinion, it has more to do with the attitude that a messy signature is a status symbol ("I'm too busy and important to care") and the notion that a clean, legible signature is old-fashioned and uncool.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 02-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Scribbles???

How does the Jose Mesa look like a scribble? Seriously? That is one of his better examples and is downright smooth.

I've seen folks say Jeter's auto is a mess and all I see is a flowing piece of art every time I see a real Jeter. Cmon. Cool autos.

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 02-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default huh?

Quote:
I hate to tell you with autographs like that there garbage I don't know why anyone would collect them.
Now there's an intelligent and well thought out attack.

This thread started innocently as someone trying to figure out 3 signed baseballs.

Why the hell don't you guys (you know who you are) start a little "scribbles club" or a "little bitty scribbles thread" and just talk to yourselves for awhile.

Assist or shut the hell up.

Peace, Mike
Old 02-03-2015, 05:21 PM

You've got it wrong, Mike. We guys (we know who we are) are the ones who would not be members of the "scribbles club."
Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ....

Quote:
You've got it wrong, Mike. We guys (we know who we are) are the ones who would not be members of the "scribbles club."
We got it. You do not like scribbled autos. They are all scribbles when you get right down to it. Each is a unique piece of art. I understand you collect other forms of art than the thread involves but the point is....we don't care. So if you are so clear on not collecting these scribbles then why do you feel the urge or need to jump into a thread that is quite simply just asking for a little help.

It was a simple thread to ask for opinions about the players who signed those baseballs, not a forum to let others know that you are a "master collector" and that you can't figure out why people collect scribbles.....really?

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 02-03-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Really, Mike? I'm glad that others here don't hold your rather limited idea of what a free exchange of ideas should be. "Unique piece of art"? Please.

Collect all the scribbles you want, if that's what makes you happy. Just make sure you have them well-labelled, so that a year from now you'll still know what you have.

And, BTW, take a gander at the upper-left-hand corner of this web page. It says "Net54baseball.com Pre-WWII Baseball Card & Memorabilia Forums." Pre-WWII: When ballplayers didn't scribble.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-03-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

The first one looks like the certified Curt Schilling I have at home.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
I don't think it's that collectors actually like the way players are scribbling their sigs...but what are we supposed to do if you want to collect their autographs? Players' signatures (and yes, a generalization fits here) seem to be getting worse and worse every year..but collectors like me still want to collect them. I do miss the era when you can actually identify the players' sigs. Maybe it's because our schools don't teach the art of handwriting anymore.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i always chuckle when someone comes into a thread and states what a horrible chicken scratch of a scribble that sig is...thank you captain obvious we never noticed it before! it's an art form to be able to scribble the same way everytime, look at ichiro. newer guys like miguel sano changes their scribble every month.

i can tolerate the scribble...up to a point. look at these supposed hollywood ip graphs. now THESE guys dgaf.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:14 PM
J@son.K

Ha! OK...now, that Al Pacino/Scarface one.... now that one takes the cake! You can probably add Robin Williams to that celebrity list of great penmanship (may he RIP).

Last edited by djson1; 02-09-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I don't think it's that collectors actually like the way players are scribbling their sigs...but what are we supposed to do if you want to collect their autographs? Players' signatures (and yes, a generalization fits here) seem to be getting worse and worse every year..but collectors like me still want to collect them. I do miss the era when you can actually identify the players' sigs. Maybe it's because our schools don't teach the art of handwriting anymore.
Maybe it's because the players don't give a shit. You can bet your ass they sign legibly on their multimillion dollar contracts.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Ironic... One of the most desirable/valuable autographs is a scrawl that couldn't even be read by the player who drew it (Joe Jackson.)

I have a signature that is hard to read. One time I was cashing a check and the teller complained about my endorsement signature. He asked me to write it legibly. I told him sure, but then it wouldn't match my signature that's on file with the bank, or any of my other signatures. He didn't care - he just wanted to be able to read my name.

So I signed very slowly, carefully, and it's a signature that does not look anything like anything else I've ever signed.

Bottom line, if a player has a sloppy signature and you collect autographs, an authentic sig from the guy will be sloppy, and that's what you'd want & expect, isn't it? From Joe Jackson to Curt Schilling and everyone in between.