NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Home Run Balls

Posted By: Glen V

I was at the AZ Diamondback game last night and got a HR ball. A couple minutes later a PR staff member came over and got my address. They take the ball, have the player that hit the HR sign it (S. Drew in my case), then mail it to the person who caught it. What a cool thing for the team to do!!! Guess I've never known anyone that got a ball. Do all the teams do this?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The team packaging, along with the ticket, serves as good documentation of authenticity. For autographs in particular, a mailing envelope from the player or team is considered strong evidence of authenticity. Obviously if they include some sort of COA, even better.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Perhaps it's the teams way to take the real homerun ball and give it to the player and switch it out with another ball if the player wants to keep it???

Old 09-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Toronto does the same thing. They give you an LOA as well. It's real neat! Good to get a rising star like Drew too. Congratulations on getting a home run ball. Not too many people can say they have.

DJ

Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've seen modern home run balls with COAs from different teams, which means MLB teams are prepared to process home run balls. And the balls were normal, every day home runs from normal players, not big records or special Barry Bonds balls

Old 09-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I'll be in the right field stands at Citizens Bank Park on tuesday to catch Ryan Howards 60th homer so ill let you know how they handle that when i get home that night

Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

John: maybe you will catch all three.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

The D-Backs have been doing that since they started.
Cool idea.
I met a guy that caught some RC's first HR and the D-Backs offered him an auto bat in exchange so the play could have it.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Dan,

Such a pessimist... that's exactly what I thought too... they could exchange balls on you. It could be some rookies first HR ball. It could be the next Hank Aaron's first home run ball... 20 years later you're telling all of your friends about this guys first HR ball you caught and then you see Sotheby's or whomever auctioning off that same persons FIRST HR ball. For 20 years you thought you had it but all you had was a BP (batting practice) ball with the guys signature on it.

John,

If I'm in the stands and I catch Howards 74th HR ball there is no way in hell that I'm going to give it to any usher or anybody for that matter. They're going to have to pry it from my hands after they kill me.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Gil if i catch 3 HR balls by Howard on tuesday ill give you one,and ill give Fred the other.He better do something soon,altho it would be exciting,catching homer #57 just doesnt have the same feel as #60. Howard has been striking out at record pace recently(163 on the season now),probably trying too hard for that homer.I saw and followed him alot in the minors and i expected a .280 hitter with 40 homers who would strikeout alot and couldnt field or run.Well i got the last 3 right but hes hitting .315 and passed 40 awhile ago

Old 09-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I think it has to be frustrating for him right now, as he's getting nothing to hit. He was on fire going into that Florida series, but he got walked so many times in that series, seems to have cooled him off a little. I think he'll turn it on again, especially at home.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Gil, The first thing that popped into my head when he said the D-Backs take the ball and then send it to you is "How can you know you're getting the same ball back?", "What if they take the ball and the player wants to keep it?"

Can you imagine Barry Bonds ever autographing a homerun ball and giving it back to a fan? Doug Mintkeidufosudfoiusddkfsk of the Red Sox wouldn't give the Sox the final out ball of the 2004 World Series saying it was going to put his kid through college...as if his salary wasn't sufficient to send his kid to college already. I would never trust todays greedy players to do the right thing. JMO.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ItsStillOnlyGil

Yeah John, if you catch a ball for me - you sign it. We will know its authenticity. And thats all I need.

Edited to add:

Plus, I will pay for your admission ticket, provided that you get that tightwad Judge to pay for your transportation to the park + a beer - when you turn over his ball. But wait - if you are catching HR balls, you are out deep. I will throw in a beer as well. (And we are talking full on ballpark beers: the price of a six pack anywhere else, not those cheapo $5 hotel beers).