NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default '65 Topps Banks

Random discussion starter: Does this card look "weird" to you because of the profile shot and close cropping? I've seen that mentioned in another thread somewhere, to the effect that people were disappointed that Ernie's pic wasn't the more traditional profile shot or some batting or action stance. One commenter even described the picture by saying that his head looked like it was a balloon in a parade.

I happen to really like this card, but probably mainly because I'm a Cubs fan and the '65 Topps set is my favorite of the decade. But that being said, the picture doesn't bother me - I think it's kind of neat. That famous "Let's Play Two" smile is still on display... Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28184a_lg.jpg (77.8 KB, 226 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Random discussion starter: Does this card look "weird" to you because of the profile shot and close cropping? I've seen that mentioned in another thread somewhere, to the effect that people were disappointed that Ernie's pic wasn't the more traditional profile shot or some batting or action stance. One commenter even described the picture by saying that his head looked like it was a balloon in a parade.

I happen to really like this card, but probably mainly because I'm a Cubs fan and the '65 Topps set is my favorite of the decade. But that being said, the picture doesn't bother me - I think it's kind of neat. That famous "Let's Play Two" smile is still on display... Thoughts?
agreed...great card / image of Ernie - LET'S PLAY TWO!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Al Richter

Default 1965

If you painted him gold this pose would have been perfect for the Embossed set that same year
Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Johnny MaZilli

John I'm with you, I really like this card. I have one of this same card signed in blue ink, Ernie Banks 1967 Cubs.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:34 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Even as a Cardinal fan I have always thought this card was cool. Ernie is hard to dislike!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
Even as a Cardinal fan I have always thought this card was cool. Ernie is hard to dislike!
+ 1
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
If you painted him gold this pose would have been perfect for the Embossed set that same year
That's the exact thought I had!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Al Richter

Default 65 Toop Embossed

Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM
J0hn Collin$

I had moved some things around recently and wound up buying two '65 Ernies (both about EX-MT) - figuring I'd just keep the one I liked best and get rid of the other one somewhere down the line later on. Now that they're here, I think I've decided I like the card so much I'll just keep both of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

John, I am a Cardinals fan but like Ernie a lot. As a young collector, this is the Banks card that always made me stop and stare...just something about it. Anyway, now I am building this set. I haven't found the one for my set yet, but I can't wait until I get it!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default '65 Topps Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
John, I am a Cardinals fan but like Ernie a lot. As a young collector, this is the Banks card that always made me stop and stare...just something about it. Anyway, now I am building this set. I haven't found the one for my set yet, but I can't wait until I get it!

I'm a Cubs fan, but because of guys like Sandberg and Dawson and Grace. Ernie had already been retired for six years by the time I was born, but of course I got familiar with his generation of greatness rather quickly. That is one thing I like about collecting the vintage Cubbies, other than some of the early Banks cards, everybody including Ron Santo and Billy Williams remains very affordable...

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-15-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'm a Cubs fan, but because of guys like Sandberg and Dawson and Grace. Ernie had already been retired for six years by the time I was born, but of course I got familiar with his generation of greatness rather quickly. That is one thing I like about collecting the vintage Cubbies, other than some of the early Banks cards, everybody including Ron Santo and Billy Williams remains very affordable...

I grew up watching the Cubs as well...Sandberg, Dawson, Grace, etc. I will always have a soft spot for them.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Dave Foster

Not to be a contrarian, but I always felt this was one his worst looking cards. I mean why the super tight close-up where even his hat is cropped? Why didn't the photog zoom in even tighter to show all the pores in his face? Sorry, just a lousy image of Mr. Cub.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default '65 Topps Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Not to be a contrarian, but I always felt this was one his worst looking cards. I mean why the super tight close-up where even his hat is cropped? Why didn't the photog zoom in even tighter to show all the pores in his face? Sorry, just a lousy image of Mr. Cub.

Valid opinion, and why I posted the thread. Hard to say 50 years on why Topps used that shot, I would imagine. I don't know, but it's possible that the original pic and variants of it are still around somewhere, sometimes this kind of thing comes up in the Topps vault auctions, though to my knowledge nothing like that exists for this particular card. Interesting different collectors and their take on things like this. Another example is the '73 Topps Johnny Bench card, which is also one of my favorites. The card pictures Bench in full catching gear, running almost into the other team's dugout to catch a foul ball. His back is turned and you can't see his face at all. I love the card, it's a great action shot - but was surprised to learn recently just in looking online that there are many collectors that have quite a disdain for it - including Bench himself apparently, who thinks it's so bad that he refuses to sign it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-16-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Great pose! Love this card. Yet another unique moment with the Topps photographers.
There are a lot of great Topps Banks cards through the years.
RayB
Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Ne@l K

Weird? Not at all

Poor choice of image? Yes.

Banks is one of my all-timers that I have never seen play. I love his cards, but this one would only be in my collection if I collected Banks, the 65 set, or if it was given to me as a gift from a friend!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I've always loved Ernie Banks, but that card always reminded me of the big heads the costumed characters wear while walking around Disney World.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.