NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM

Default Barry Larkin signed HOF Plaques

Looking for a Barry Larkin signed HOF plaque to add to your collection?

Evidently, he has an exclusive signing contract with Steiner. Here's what you can get, to display along with all your other plaques (which probably don't have a sticker).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Larkin plaque.jpg (81.2 KB, 273 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Steve Zarelli

Utterly ghastly.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Yuck...that thing is disgusting...What's the price on something like that?
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Yuck...that thing is disgusting...What's the price on something like that?
I couldn't find it on the site, but 8x10s are $159... So it's safe to assume the HOF Postcard is similarly priced.

As Brandon Steiner would say, "You gotta have balls!"

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 07-31-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I got the email advertising them.
On sale, they are $100.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Richard Simon

What an ego Brandon Steiner must have to stick his name on the front of a HOF plak.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM
keith janosky

Steiner is no different than PSA and JSA sticking those stupid stickers on the front of photos, 3x5's and other items. No thinking on there part except for advertising. I would think most people would not want that crap right on the front of there item. They don't care cause if they did they would put it on the back.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Wayne Walker

Good god what a giant eyesore! Put it on the back if you gotta put it somewhere, man.

See, when PSA and JSA puts these things on items, it is at the request of the submitter. You can have them render an opinion, with a letter, without using that ugly ass sticker. I would never choose one, but some collectors or dealers do. Is Steiner giving collectors a choice here, or not? People who collect autos only on a single medium tend to be OCD in my experience, and I don't see that eyesore pleasing many of them.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 07-31-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
People who collect autos only on a single medium tend to be OCD in my experience, and I don't see that eyesore pleasing many of them.
Right. I think the type of collector who collects HOF plaque postcards is not going to be the same type of buyer who is enthralled with a Steiner hologram. What ever happened to knowing and serving the customer?

The TPAs at least give one the option, and when I have seen them stickered they have been on the back.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 AM

For $100, I would hope that Barry would be a little more careful how he signs the plaque. On the example shown you can barely see his signature.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeltz View Post
For $100, I would hope that Barry would be a little more careful how he signs the plaque. On the example shown you can barely see his signature.
Some guys want so much for their money .
Be glad that Steiner gives you the opportunity to buy such a great item for only $100. .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM
James Wymer

I like Barry, but I hate that plaque.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Everybody can knock Steiner on their prices, me included. But one thing I am thankful about with Steiner is everything they authenticate is something they witnessed. You're paying a premium dollar, but you don't have to question authenticity. You're paying for the autograph and the security. Tri-Star did/does have that same approach and I like their models best.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Everybody can knock Steiner on their prices, me included. But one thing I am thankful about with Steiner is everything they authenticate is something they witnessed. You're paying a premium dollar, but you don't have to question authenticity. You're paying for the autograph and the security. Tri-Star did/does have that same approach and I like their models best.
I used to say the same thing and I own a lot of Steiner stuff but they dont follow that premise very strictly anymore... They have "Steiner approved vendors now" which they also Cert. Also google "Muhammad Ali" and "Steiner". Made me a little worried about what I already own. And if I am wrong, please correct me. I would feel alot better about what I have.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna82 View Post
I used to say the same thing and I own a lot of Steiner stuff but they dont follow that premise very strictly anymore... They have "Steiner approved vendors now" which they also Cert. Also google "Muhammad Ali" and "Steiner". Made me a little worried about what I already own. And if I am wrong, please correct me. I would feel alot better about what I have.
This is something I was not aware of. Steiner puts their cert on autographs that they don't witness?? Wow,,,
Anyone else know about this.
--
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
This is something I was not aware of. Steiner puts their cert on autographs that they don't witness?? Wow,,,
Anyone else know about this.
Years ago they used to have some vintage material (Mantle, etc) that they likely did not witness. I recall seeing the items in the Roosevelt Field store with their hologram.

More recently, I've seen material on their site that my sense was they obtained through another source. For instance, signed balls with the MLB authenticated hologram and a Steiner sticker.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Richard Simon

I guess we can trust the MLB hologram, but are they using other vendors for signings? That is the main question.
--
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I guess we can trust the MLB hologram, but are they using other vendors for signings? That is the main question.
They sell tons of JSA and PSA stuff now though I don't think they sticker it Steiner. My Koufax ball has a "Steiner Approved Vendor" sticker (not the normal one) but is also is MLB authenticated. They sell Greer Johnson Mantle items, Willie Mays "Say Hey" items etc...

My Joe Dimaggio ball is a Yankee Clipper Enterprises product but is also stickered and certed Steiner. I have been under the impression these were not Steiner witnessed but bought later on...though I have not been able to verify it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Richard Simon

So you way overpay to buy something with a Steiner sticker but it was probably authenticated by PSA or JSA?
Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,
--
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
So you way overpay to buy something with a Steiner sticker but it was probably authenticated by PSA or JSA?
Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,
These days I think I'd rather buy something from PSA or JSA and have it authenticated by Steiner. On second thought, it's probably all about the same actually.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I have a Larkin plaque postcard on order thru a private signing for $75. It is supposed to be signed this weekend. I will post a pic when it is returned.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I finally received my Larkin HOF plaque postcard from a recent Steiner signing. It is not a perfect auto, but at least it is in the yellow part of the postcard and I can see it!! And the Steiner hologram sticker is on the back, not on the front. It also came with a Steiner Credit Card COA.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
J@RR0D

Matthew, at least the auto is well placed and there is no sticker on the front. Looks like itr had been a long day of signing for Barry, huh? Very cool piece.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Jeff

The Steiner version looks like he drew bunny ears on himself.

.....but at least it has that neat sticker on the front.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-30-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
Matthew, at least the auto is well placed and there is no sticker on the front. Looks like itr had been a long day of signing for Barry, huh? Very cool piece.
Yeah, the auto is a bit shaky, but I guess that is because he squeezed his auto into such a small space. Someone needs to let him know that he can sign on the left part of the postcard where there is more 'yellow space' to work with.

This is also from a Steiner signing. The postcard that was posted at the beginning of this thread was signed during HOF induction weekend. Mine was signed at The National. I guess somebody let them know how to sign these in the interim and to put the sticker on the back!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to knock this one off my list.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Yeah, the auto is a bit shaky, but I guess that is because he squeezed his auto into such a small space. Someone needs to let him know that he can sign on the left part of the postcard where there is more 'yellow space' to work with.

This is also from a Steiner signing. The postcard that was posted at the beginning of this thread was signed during HOF induction weekend. Mine was signed at The National. I guess somebody let them know how to sign these in the interim and to put the sticker on the back!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to knock this one off my list.
Do you typically get the guy right after the HOF induction in case he unexpectedly passes? Are you going for the full 'set' (whatever that entails)?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Do you typically get the guy right after the HOF induction in case he unexpectedly passes? Are you going for the full 'set' (whatever that entails)?
So I have all the living HOFers and most of the deceased ones into the 1970's. Missing Mickey Mantle and Kirby Puckett.

Puckett is the main reason that I now try to get them pretty quickly. I kept pushing him off and he unfortunately passed before I added him. His postcards now command hundreds of dollars, which is more than I am willing to pay. The funny thing is that he signed at the Iowa Cubs Winter Convention a few months before he passed for $25 a pop, which was 75% off his regular price. They wouldn't take mail order, and I couldn't find anyone to help me out. Oh well.

I really started to get them sooner than later in 2010 with Doug Harvey. There were rumors that he was pretty sick, so wanted to get him taken care of. Now I just try to get them signed within 6 months of induction.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

I've always been interested in how to collect the Yellow HOF plaques and Perez Steele PC's. As you mentioned, I got to a point with PS where I had to pay hundreds for common sigs (Grimes, Ashburn, etc) simply due to release date of the PC and the player's death. I just couldn't justify dropping $500 on Ashburn!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:18 AM

I guess I have a serious case of OCD since I collect both the plaques and the Perez Steele hof set. I have mostly completed the plaques set, save a couple of the newer guys, and am missing only Satchel Paige, and a few of the later inductees (Fisk, Lasorda, Brett, etc) from the Perez Steele set. I have pretty large stockpile of duplicates, both encased and not, of the plaques and would LOVE to sell or trade my stockpile. As for the Larkin cards from Steiner, you could request the sticker on the rear of the card.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Nice Larkin plaque!

I also try to collect the HOF Plaques, but over the past few years it's gotten tougher. Some of the newly elected guys have started charging premiums for them: Alomar, Blyleven, and Harvey come to mind immediately. Carter did for a little bit after his induction as well, and then dropped them to $25 on his website. Blyleven is cheaper if you go through his site/foundation. But the resell (and I know collectors shouldnt be concerned about resale, but still....) is low on these. A guy on SCN had a bunch of Harveys he was trying to unload for $30 shipped with a holo from the Bob Feller Museum. And another guy on there claimed he had Killebrew's collection. They all looked legit to me, and he was selling the Ashburn for $75.

These are great to collect, I do so myself, but between players upcharging for them and the resale being terrible it's tough.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I agree. I am pretty fed up with these marginal HOFers charging a mint to sign HOF postcards. Although, it should be noted that both Gary Carter and Roberto Alomar had the same rep, Mead Chasky. So I would suspect that he is the one who decided to upcharge for plaque postcards. Outside of those two players, I can't think of anyone else that charge extra high prices for HOF postcards. I actually ordered an extra Carter for my collection from his website about a week before his initial announcement of his cancer, but I never got it or heard back from them.

Harvey has an exclusive deal with the Bob Feller Museum, and it sounds like the Museum took a bath on that deal. They have been dumping them onto the market over the past few years. Not sure why they thought he would be a hot commodity. Other than die-hard collectors, why would the average baseball fan want a Doug Harvey signed plaque postcard?! He will sign anything for free thru the mail except the plaque postcards.

Blyleven has a weird pricing structure, but not sure he really charges extra for the postcards. He just puts them into the category of 'everything else', which is $40 on his website.

This year might be the last I keep up with the game, as I am sure Piazza and the ones who follow after him are going to be $100 plus.