NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Dan Studebaker

Default Cards stolen, please look out for D310, D380, Mono, and Derby Cigar

Hi All,

Sorry to bring up unpleasant topics, but we were the victim of a home burglary today in San Diego. They got a couple of laptops, camera, pile of cards, spare change, juice boxes, girl scout cookies, and backpacks. I was hoping you could keep an eye out for the following cards. (Please note there are multiple D310s, but I only pasted a picture of one)

Derby Cigars Snodgrass
D380 Lagoe
D310 Ables
D310 Akin
D310 Byram
D310 Carlisle
D310 Holland
D310 Pfyl
D310 Rapps
D310 Ross
T217 Chadbourn

Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Brad Green

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can track them down. The important thing is that you and your family are okay.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Barry Sloate

So sorry to hear this Dan, and in a beautiful safe city like San Diego! Very upsetting news. Hope somebody finds those cards (they can eat the cookies).
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 AM
martin

Very sorry to hear this. A phone call to the local card store(s) would be a place to start. Good luck
Old 09-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Jeez, that is a horrible shame.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Brian Wolf

Default an idea

So sorry to hear that.

You might want to consider posting the graded cards' registration numbers, if you have them. This would allow people to check if they are buying your exact cards.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Not to be funny but....

if they stole juice boxes, girl scout cookies and baseball cards, good chance your thief is a neighborhood kid. Start asking all the neighborhood parents which of their kids didn't eat dinner after the crime occurred, they were probably full from their take.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Dan- that sucks! I am really sorry to hear of this. Perhaps you could post scans of all the D310s as I always check out 310s and 311s on ebay and in auctions.
tbob
Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
if they stole juice boxes, girl scout cookies and baseball cards, good chance your thief is a neighborhood kid. Start asking all the neighborhood parents which of their kids didn't eat dinner after the crime occurred, they were probably full from their take.
That does actually sound like a valid point. The laptops, camera, spare change, juice boxes, cookies and backpacks all sound like stuff a school aged kid would take. The cards are the only thing that really doesn't fit in.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Matt Hall

Spare change actually sounds like something a Meth addict would take. The drug has been running rampant in my area lately and if I accidentally leave my car unlocked, my spare change is missing. Sad, really. I would check the local hobby shops. PJ's is the only one I can think of down there. (its been a while) Also check pawn shops.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Dan Bretta

That sucks Dan...sorry to hear it. Hopefully your local PD will catch the lowlife scumbag(s).

Edited to add: I stuck it to the top so this thread doesn't migrate to the bottom too quickly.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-15-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Bad economy = More crime

I feel terrible for you, I hope you recover your cards and belongings. It just has to drive home the fact that we as collectors need to keep our items secure and safe.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Dan,
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear it.
JimB
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Barry Arnold

Default stolen

Dan,
i'm so very sorry to hear this and will certainly keep my eyes open for you.

wishing you all the best,

barry
Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
JJ

Default Sucks So Bad

I know it wont replace anything but hopefully you had insurance. I will and I know the others on this board will be on the lookout. The fact that it could be a child is a very valid point and good insight. How old are your children if you have any? Is there any chance that when Dad isn't home they show off your cards? Also pawn shops and stores and one other had mentioned are a good place to start. You can pm me or post any serial numbers you have here and I will keep an eye on ebay. If we all work together and secure the cards maybe we can pinpoint the mailing address. Good luck and I am sorry to hear that this happened.
-John
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Stolen cards

Dan,

Hope you are able to recovery everything.

Best Wishes,

Patrick
Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Jim D

I would make up a little flyer with what was missing and drop a copy off to every card store and pawn shop....

Suggest they "stall" by looking up the cards, and then call you and the police, and keep stalling!

Pawn shops are more then happy to do this as they are the ones who generally lose out the cash they paid to the crack head.

To me it sounds like 16 year old boys or crack/ meth heads!!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM

sorry to hear this...will certainly keep an eye out for them.

Ricky Y
Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
D.B. Cooper

Running daily searches for anyone selling very old baseball cards on Craigslist for the San Diego and Los Angeles areas might be beneficial, as well. I'd assume the most likely sections they'd be listed in would be "collectibles" or "sporting." I've done so the past 2 days, but haven't noticed anything yet.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 09-16-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Bill Hedin

Default sad to hear of the theft

Hi Dan, Sorry to hear you lost some of your collection. I hope that you recoveer them and press charges and get restitution and/or your cards back.
I had a similar thing happen way back in 1984 when my store was robbed of what was left while we were at a show. Never found the culprits and insurance screwed us big time.
I just want to say that we should thank God it was not a home invasion armed robbery. As long as your family is safe, that is all that counts.
Good luck and again, best wishes from the Boston area.
Bill Hedin
bh3443@aol.com
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
James Gallo

Dan

Been there and recently.

My suggestion check your local card stores, pawn shops, antique stores any place like that.

I had better luck tracking my stolen cards down myself and I knew who took them. The cops didn't seem to do too much in my case. I would also alert some of the big auction houses as they will almost always help with stuff like this.

best of luck and I hope you get the stuff back.

James G
Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Brad Green

Dan:

My sister was robbed several years ago. Her car was broken into in a hospital parking lot. About 13 CD's were stolen. She put up flyers. The parents of the kids who took the CD's figured out that their kids had taken the CD's. The parents wisely took the CD's, wrapped them in a paper bag or envelope, put my sister's name, address and phone number on them (from the flyer) and took them to the nearest post office after hours and left them by the door. That way, it was never discovered who actually took the CD's, but my sister got them back. Nobody went to jail (unfortunately).

You might consider an approach like that, especially if you think that some kids took your cards. Put out some flyers in your neighborhood. Maybe the cards will turn up at your local post office. Who knows.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Tom Papa

This really stinks Dan. Shit like this really scares everybody. We see too many events like this and it's frankly the reason I got most items of value out of the house. I just don't trust alarms system enough. The worst part about this approach is you can't enjoy the items when they sit in a bank vault.

I hope these turn up and suspect they eventually will. They are rare enough they will get noticed by one of us when they do.

Did you happen to let grading companies know? I don't know if they would ever look-out for people crossing stolen cards but it sure would be great if they did.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
Dan:
You might consider an approach like that, especially if you think that some kids took your cards. Put out some flyers in your neighborhood. Maybe the cards will turn up at your local post office. Who knows.
Sounds good, but you might be inadvertently telling other bad people you have vintage baseball cards!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

This is horrible Dan! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. If there is anything I can do, please shoot me an email thanks. Dan Mckee
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Dan Studebaker

Default Update

Thanks a lot for all the support. It is very much appreciated.

Life has gotten back to normal and it seems to have had little affect on the rest of the family. No leads on the cards or anything else yet, but I am not worrying about it constantly anymore. As time passes it will get much easier. In the end, I still have everything that is important to me, and whomever did this is desperately looking for their next score.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Dan Studebaker

And Dan, thank you very much for sticking it to the top!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Robert A

Dan,

This is horrible. I will surely keep an eye out and contact a few folks that I know in SD to also watch out. I really hope you get these back and sorry it happened.

Rob
Old 09-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Dan- just saw this...so sorry this happened to you & your family. hopefully they'll find who did this, and that you'll get all your items back. best of luck.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 09-26-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default moving this thread

Since it's been almost a month and a half since the last post I am unsticking this thread. In a day or two I will move it to be stuck on the BST side for another month or so. Hopefully these cards will be recovered and we can help a bit in the matter. best regards
Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Dan Studebaker

Thanks to the moderators for sticking it and leaving it up as long as they did, I very much appreciate it. Nothing has been recovered despite a potential lead unfortunately.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default No worries Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Thanks to the moderators for sticking it and leaving it up as long as they did, I very much appreciate it. Nothing has been recovered despite a potential lead unfortunately.
And to reiterate, this will be "stickied" on the BST page, live auction space (I think), for quite a bit more time......Please be on the lookout for these cards to help our fellow collector out. best regards
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Jon Canfield

Any update on these (hopefully a happy one)?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Dan Studebaker

Sorry Jon, nothing.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default around 3 mos now

It's been around 3 mos so I unstuck this thread. Hopefully the cards will be recovered....