NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Johnny S

Default AP All Day goes over the top wow

I love All Day Adrian Peterson and even have his jersey but am kind of shocked and disgusted with his comments on saying that playing in the NFL is like modern day slavery with how they are treated by the owners. Maybe he is a creampuff and can't play hurt is what I'm thinking after his lousy last two years and garbage mouth. What an insult to the old school players who made next to nothing,what a joke. After reading this I hope the players do strike and don't get paid s&^% next year, so if the players are getting robbed, I guess the fans are getting reamed, without fantasy football and gambling the NFL wouldn't be half of what it is, get a grip AP ! The owners need the players like they need a hole in the head,what are these players thinking ?

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...nclick_check=1

"The players are getting robbed. They are," Peterson told Yahoo. "The owners are making so much money off of us to begin with. I don't know that I want to quote myself on that."

When discussing other players feeling the same way, Peterson said: "It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money. ... The owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.' "
Peterson is set to make $10.72 million in base salary in 2011.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Yeah, I saw his comments too; Out-effing-rageous. There is real slavery going on around the world and his 10 mill ain't enough? Just another example of the mouth moving before the brain (if he even knows he was wrong).
Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Johnny S

Yeah I can't believe he is crying like this, he should be thinking about how to not fumble and hang onto the ball, how to play a full season, and finally, how to explain to the fans how they ended up in the bottom of the division with a worse record than Detroit next year.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

10.72 million? for one year? Ok, I'll work under some truly horrific conditions for that sort of money. What a spoiled whiner.

Both sides really need to wake up.
Wasn't there some other sport that was doing very well and expanding into places nobody figured it could? They had a big network TV deal too. Then there as a lockout. I don't see much of them anymore, even in a town that has a good team.

Oh yes here it is on VS network, the one that carries stuff rejected by ESPN8. It's called Hockey.

Steve B
Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
pariah1107

$10.72 million... I had no idea modern day slavery paid so well. This is an afront to REAL problems in the world.

I hope the owners lock them out and donate player salaries to relief efforts in Japan (48 X the league minimum would be a great start). One year without concussions would obviously do Adrian some good.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 AM
qualitycards

[QUOTE=pariah1107;878904]$10.72 million... I had no idea modern day slavery paid so well. This is an afront to REAL problems in the world.

QUOTE]
and that $10.72 million is over and above any $$$ the players make for making the playoffs
as each round the pot gets bigger. Plus I would venture to say AP's endorsements probably
bring in another $10 million or so annually.
Perhaps we should start a food drive for him & his family.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Steve Birmingham

That would be a great protest. Everyone send a can of soup or something to his house with a note saying how we hope he's doing ok. A few thousand cans should ge the point across. Hopefully he'd donate most of them to a shelter or something.

Alas, if I was running something like that I'd be the only one sending anything, and I'd probably get arrested and have to explain it all to Postal inspectors, FBI, and homeland security.

Steve B
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Bob B.

It always amazes me how sports fans and the public in general can side with the owners in these cases. Some athletes are making a lot of money to be sure, but in many cases ruining their bodies and you are paying to see THEM, not the owners. The owners are making Tens of millions many times over every year and not just in a few peak years like the athletes. The players aren't moving franchises in the middle of the night, taking public subsidies for more profitable stadiums. In any case the average fan is living a life much closer to that of a player than an owner.
And as far as the slavery comment, Walter Johnson said the same thing nearly 100 years ago.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
It always amazes me how sports fans and the public in general can side with the owners in these cases. Some athletes are making a lot of money to be sure, but in many cases ruining their bodies and you are paying to see THEM, not the owners. The owners are making Tens of millions many times over every year and not just in a few peak years like the athletes. The players aren't moving franchises in the middle of the night, taking public subsidies for more profitable stadiums. In any case the average fan is living a life much closer to that of a player than an owner.
And as far as the slavery comment, Walter Johnson said the same thing nearly 100 years ago.

Athletes have talent and that's it, the only reason they get paid is because the owners are already worth millions or billions and many lose money on their teams so without the legit money they have would go broke running the team. Look at the NBA, only a few teams make a profit, the rest are losing millions and the league is on the brink of going under. The owners don't need the team and neither do the fans, the players do and without it many would make minimum wage. When Walter Johnson played the players were treated badly and played under terrible conditions. These days they are spoiled and look at AP, gets paid 10 mill and can't even play a full season and still crys. How can you compare an average fan to a pro athlete when the avg fan can barely afford to go to a single game, and those who do go never pay for tickets anyways since they are all bought corporate seats handed out to favorites at the corporate jobs. Tickets are expensive and most are tax write offs and this is the owners fault, but at the same time it pays for all the salaries of the players and the fans put up with it. I hope the NFL does strike so they can see how stupid they really are. Without gambling and fantasy football the NFL wouldn't be the popular sport it is but they think it is all about them when it is all about the stats. And right now the economy is the worst it has been since the 1970s and the players have the gall to cry about money ? I'm not siding with the owners but they already built an empire by being cut throat so don't expect them to bend to what they see as a bunch of ignorant spoiled brats. Yes the players make the owners money but they don't need it as it's all gravy and that is what the idiot players don't seem to take into acct when they cry about getting robbed and ripped off. The owners don't need to budge and shouldn't, anything they lose is just a tax write off anyways. It's like us crying about taxes and saying we are not going to pay them, ask Wesley Snipes how that worked out.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Bob B.

"many lose money on their teams" - sorry for the improper use of the quote function, but this quote is not factual. Even with their cooked books the owners who "lose" money in any given year more than make up for it with the increase in equity value of their franchise. Again, I'm always amazed at the average Joe who sides with the passive Billionaire over the Millionaire busting his butt. Not to mention the fact that for every AP or Barry Bonds there's 200 former pro's working the local batting cages for 30 bucks an hour.

Edited to say I'm not including the NBA or NHL where arguably some of the owners could be put into the "hobbyist" category.

Last edited by bobbvc; 03-31-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: excusing the NBA/NHL
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Johnny S

Athletes are just pawns like any soldier, worker, ect, expendible and replaced with 10,000 others waiting in line to take their place. Whoever has the money calls the shots, I'm not siding with anyone but that is how it is. Without the owners the athletes would have nothing but they think they are the end all be all. Instead of crying and complaining they should teach each other how to balance a check book and save some money so when they retire or get hurt 8 of 10 aren't broke within 3 years.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
pariah1107

Just heard the NFLPA began to distribute $60,000 checks to stiking union members who are eligible. This is 18 days into the strike! I don't exactly see these gentlemen on the picket lines. At Inland Boatman Union strikes we were lucky to get a hot cup of coffee 18 days into a strike. You can not sell me the story the Players Union was not preparing to strike when they can afford stipends like that.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a comment

Players make the money they do for one reason. Because they make their team owners more money. Plain and simple. This is the exact reason I have given up on all Major League Pro sports and love minor leagues. I might be the only one on this board that can't name 10 Pro Football or Baseball players....But I can name 500 Net54baseball members .

Not a bad thread guys and exactly what this forum is about.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
Well, I'll try to explain it. Yes, AP works a job that is very damaging physically. And for that he deserves a decent salary, a good pension, and excellent medical care both during and after his career. He gets the salary, and then some, enough that he can afford his own medical care after his career is over. He'll also get a decent pension, not fantastic, but decent.
And yes, many ex pros don't make that kind of money.
If it was a marginal lineman facing rehab after a blown out knee with no guarantee that he'd ever play again I'd have some sympathy

Some of what the owners were intending to put in place was more health care and pension for older players whose pensions are based on 1970's salary levels. And the giveback from the cap money was also supposed to be used for the fancy facilities todays players demand.

And the owners wouldn't pay the players as much as they do if they weren't making either short term profits (Jersey sales, tv contract share, tickets, etc) Or long term profits from enhanced value of the franchise.

Now from my point of view...

I worked in industrial jobs for 20 years. In an era that was just beginning to understand stuff like chemical exposure, repetitive motion injury, etc. Overall probably not as damaging as a long pro football career. But harder than baseball or basketball, and maybe equal to hockey. Not directly equivalent, but similar. Unless one of the chemicals does its long term thing and wrecks an organ or causes cancer. No AC in the summer, little Heat in the winter.

My BESTyear was around 40K. That's about $20 an hour, less than the old pro working in the batting cage.

I'd have to work about 268 years to earn APs base salary.

And I get 0 pension, 0 post career health care. I was lucky to have some health care at the last job, but didn't have any at the previous jobs.
And I had to be there every day. Except my 2 weeks of vacation - Oh by the way please don't take them consecutively.

If APs career is "Slavery" enslave me! .... Please!

And like any business owner the team owners take the risks. Like paying big signing bonuses to guys like Ryan Leaf. Or any of the hyped guys that get hurt or can't be coached or just plain aren't good enough. So maybe they deserve their profits. Just like the guy that paid my salary deserved his profits for taking the risks of running a business.

Steve B
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Forgot to include
If AP does a poor job one day, maybe someone loses a bet, someones fantasy team loses, fans are unhappy the team lost.

If I did my job poorly best case I'd have to redo it. Worst case someone could die.

Steve B
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Johnny S

Default Players already feeling the squeeze

With atleast 10% of the league already securing high risk cash loans at 18-24% and a default penalty of up to 36% interest and another 10% of the league ready to apply, it's safe to assume that 25-35% of the players will be broke within a month or two if not sooner. Things are going to get hectic very soon as the owners sit back and put the grip on even tighter. If any good comes out of this hopefully some players will learn who their friends really are as they go to those they have helped and get the silent treatment. All of a sudden all the people who couldn't be around them enough are no where to be found, and worse yet no one cares ! These predatory lenders are even making the players take out insurance policies to guarantee payment on loans if they get hurt with some premiums costing $200,000. The fleecing of the nfl players, if this goes on many will owe more than they are going to make next year.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...-lockout-loans
Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Bruce C.

Interesting read. Thanks