NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default Perfect Game Pitchers Collections

I have been collecting autos for a while now, but I never really thought to collect "groups" of players. I used to live in Seattle, and with Felix just throwing a perfect game, I decided to look more into the Perfect game, I came to the realization that since 1950, there have been 18 Perfect Games, and I have 13 of them, which I think is pretty darn good. To brag, I have linked to my collection.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/te2r8n6ytb79hda/fadR3DMJbp

If you have any of the 5 I dont have (Witt, Halladay, Braden, Cain, Humber), send me a PM
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
J Stone

Issac - nice idea.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think at least 5 of those aren't signed by the pitcher's they represent:

Koufax
Bunning
Hernandez
Cone
Rogers

I could be wrong. Rogers is near impossible to get.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Is Kenny Rogers that tough now? I got him a bunch of times at Tigers spring training when he was on the team.

Wow. He sells for a lot on eBay. I had no idea.

Last edited by packs; 08-21-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Is Kenny Rogers that tough now? I got him a bunch of times at Tigers spring training when he was on the team.

Wow. He sells for a lot on eBay. I had no idea.
The thing with The Gambler is that he infrequently does paid signings. The last time he did, his asking price was somewhere around $125. The Rogers ball that was posted on this thread features an extremely long "y" and "g" that I am not familiar with either. I have managed to get Rogers' sig once while on the Rangers and twice while on the Tigers. None of these sigs looked like the one on the ball.

Isaac,

I would agree with Packs that a couple of the perfect game pitchers mentioned appear to be "drawn" on some of these balls, not signed. Further due diligence would be helpful.

I'm with you that this is a fun theme to collect since the number of perfect game pitchers Don Larsen and beyond is definitely attainable.

Here are a few perfect game pitcher sigs that I received in person, just as a means of comparison.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Scott - I know this is getting repetitive at this point, but I'll say, once again, that love that Koufax signed ticket!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Scott - I know this is getting repetitive at this point, but I'll say, once again, that love that Koufax signed ticket!
Thanks Mark. I really love the way the ticket turned out too.
I've actually owned the stub since the mid 1990's and it's one of my favorites in my collection.

It came out of a collection of 15 no-hit and perfect game tickets that I acquired and was the crown jewel. This same collection also contained a ticket stub from Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964 that was vintage signed in ball point pen in the 1960's.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

It came out of a collection of 15 no-hit and perfect game tickets that I acquired and was the crown jewel. This same collection also contained a ticket stub from Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964 that was vintage signed in ball point pen in the 1960's.
Got a scan?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Default Bunning vintage signed PG ticket

Mark,
Here you go! I have posted this once before, BTW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Bunning vintage signed perfect game ticket.jpg (76.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Sorry this took long to respond..

The Rogers I got in person at a game the 3rd time he played for the Rangers (2004) I believe

The Cone I got in person when he was at a rehab assignment in Norwhich in 1996

The Martinez and Koufax could very well be fakes since I got them from a guy with some other baseballs.

The Bunning I bought at a show a while back, no cert so I got a good deal and it looks real good to me, issue is that the marker is fading...

Thoughts everyone?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Actually now that I think about it, I have a Tristar Cert for the Bunning I believe, I have to check.

Oh and the Felix I got in person at Seattle Mariners fan fest 2 years ago, got a hat signed by him too, if anyone wants to see that.

Last edited by isaac2004; 08-22-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Isaac,
The Dennis Martinez is fine and is a nice example.

I mostly was concerned with the Rogers because I don't recall him signing like that. Since you got it in person, you should have no concern.

Bunning looks a little different that I've seen him sign, but it's unlikely that anyone would fake him since his sigs are readily available.

I don't have any experience with Felix Hernandez, so I can't comment on him.

Koufax is a commonly forged autograph, but I don't feel 100% confident commenting on yours, one way or another. You may want to have others give you their 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Isaac,
The Dennis Martinez is fine and is a nice example.

I mostly was concerned with the Rogers because I don't recall him signing like that. Since you got it in person, you should have no concern.

Bunning looks a little different that I've seen him sign, but it's unlikely that anyone would fake him since his sigs are readily available.

I don't have any experience with Felix Hernandez, so I can't comment on him.

Koufax is a commonly forged autograph, but I don't feel 100% confident commenting on yours, one way or another. You may want to have others give you their 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us!
Only thing that sucks about that Rogers ball is that there are some other sigs on it that I have no clue who they are (help with that would be nice)

Yea I have always been worried about the Koufax, big give away is the S.

Sandy usually didnt put that upline through the circle and I have a few like that, and I always thought they were fake. I have seen a few with JSA on ebay with the line through, so I started thinking they were rushed or his autographed changed. Never know.

If there is a Sandy expert here, I would love their opinion.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
J Stone

Isaac -

I stand corrected, and am happy to be proven wrong in this case. You can't beat an in-person signature, just goes to show how difficult this hobby can be sometimes. I agree with Scott that the Martinez is fine. No worries there.

You are lucky you got Rogers when you did. Someone must have really pissed him off at some point because he just stopped signing cold (except for big money of course).
Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Isaac -

I stand corrected, and am happy to be proven wrong in this case. You can't beat an in-person signature, just goes to show how difficult this hobby can be sometimes. I agree with Scott that the Martinez is fine. No worries there.

You are lucky you got Rogers when you did. Someone must have really pissed him off at some point because he just stopped signing cold (except for big money of course).
I dont remember the story that well but I know I was out of clean balls and he didnt seem to mind there were other sigs on it. It was also during warmups so he may have not even noticed
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

And I just got a Halladay!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Actually now that I think about it, I have a Tristar Cert for the Bunning I believe, I have to check..
Might want to double check the Bunning. It's on a China ball and I doubt Tristar would use one of those for one of their signings.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Steve Zarelli

I'm not a Koufax expert, but you can clearly see this signature is slowly drawn. Look at the loop of the S, and the right side of the K to see the slowness. Based on that alone I'd say it's almost certainly bad. Sorry.

How did you obtain the Larsen? Perhaps it was signed a long time ago, but it seems much smaller and tighter than he has signed in quite some time.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I'm not a Koufax expert, but you can clearly see this signature is slowly drawn. Look at the loop of the S, and the right side of the K to see the slowness. Based on that alone I'd say it's almost certainly bad. Sorry.

How did you obtain the Larsen? Perhaps it was signed a long time ago, but it seems much smaller and tighter than he has signed in quite some time.
Steve (Zip),

This was my initial impression on the Koufax as well. I also want to note that I didn't realize at the time that I could blow up the size of the signature on the image. Once I read your comment, I looked at it again. When blown up it becomes pretty obvious, FWIW.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Steve (Zip),

This was my initial impression on the Koufax as well. I also want to note that I didn't realize at the time that I could blow up the size of the signature on the image. Once I read your comment, I looked at it again. When blown up it becomes pretty obvious, FWIW.
I suspect if you had it in hand, the Koufax ball would smell like fresh Florida sunshine and sand.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

I actually have 2 Larsens, one is on a ball with yogi berra and the other is on a ball with David wells.

I got both at shows a while back, not sure on the years of the signatures
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Default china

Tristar did use China balls unfortunatley. Believe Its from a hidden treasures product remember getting a berra if memory serves.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFautosChris View Post
Tristar did use China balls unfortunatley. Believe Its from a hidden treasures product remember getting a berra if memory serves.
I just looked, the Browning I have is tristar. There is no cert for the Bunning.