NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Default Koufax's...

Curious what people think of these? This eBay seller posts tons of stuff, but a ton of it is Steiner with hologram only (no certificate/cards). While undoubtedly people lose the certificates/cards sometimes, and I know Steiner holograms are supposed to be a no brainer, it seems strange when nearly everything a seller sells is hologram only.

The S's on these, especially the 2nd one, also don't look right to me. I've never seen the tail rounded off so much on any ball from a legit source, usually it's more of a horizontal finish to the letter.

On edit: Fwiw, I'm not looking to buy from this guy, as I already own a Koufax ball. Purpose of the post was just to gauge opinions on whether people think a ton of listings with hologram only is a red flag, especially when combined with questionable looking sigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mattjc1983; 07-01-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 PM

No on both of these, IMHO
Old 07-02-2016, 04:14 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

There are lots of items currently on eBay with Steiner holograms and no COA card that are fake. I would stay away from this seller.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Christopher Williams

I have emailed Steiner Sports at least a dozen times on obvious Derek Jeter forgeries on EBay with so-called Steiner holograms.

They do not want to get involved.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...-jeter-forgery

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...all-coa-not-st
Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Richard Simon

Pretty soon we will see ebay auctions just for the fake Steiner holograms,,, "sorry but I lost the Steiner COA cards."
It has always amazed me that Steiner has zero interest in keeping their brand clean.
Ken Goldin goes after those crooks with fake COA's from his old company and his old company is not even in business now.
Why can't Steiner?
Hey Brandon, stop counting your money for five freakin' minutes and do something about this crap.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-02-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Default Koufax's...

With all these companies, it's 1) laziness and 2) not wanting to admit that anything associated with their name might not be legit (i.e. opening a can of worms that could hurt future business). Same reason PSA is just as obstinate/non-responsive on this subject.

Last edited by mattjc1983; 07-02-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
With all these companies, it's 1) laziness and 2) not wanting to admit that anything associated with their name might not be legit (i.e. opening a can of worms that could hurt future business). Same reason PSA is just as obstinate/non-responsive on this subject.

3)I would call it sheer stupidity. If you do not want to protect your company's name/property/reputation then why would anyone want to spend $$ on the overpriced products you are attempting to sell.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:22 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Plus it dilutes the market on items that Steiner is purposefully limiting. Other people are making money using the Steiner name to sell fake items for far less than Steiner is trying to sell the real deal for. Doesn't make sense.

Tom C
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Steiner, does not care. The reason is that he sells all of his Jetter stuff for a high profit and he can not keep up with the demand. If you buy it cheaper than he sells it for then you should know that it is authentic.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
3)I would call it sheer stupidity. If you do not want to protect your company's name/property/reputation then why would anyone want to spend $$ on the overpriced products you are attempting to sell.

Fair point
Old 07-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Richard Simon

Steiner could get pro-active with ebay and this crap would vanish in a short period of time.
Just do an ebay search for the word Steiner and report the thieves to ebay.
Like I said earlier Ken Goldin has actively gone after a number of ebay thieves and there is no way that Steiner should allow this to continue. If Goldin reports fake certs to ebay, they remove the item based on his word.
It just amazes me that someone who makes so much money in this hobby would not lift one finger to try to keep it a bit cleaner, especially when their own name is being dragged through the mud by a bunch of lowlifes.
But from the past experiences of my friend Chris, with Steiner it is like banging your head against a brick wall.
Maybe if we all chipped in and paid $teiner to do it, then he would do it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-02-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Steiner could get pro-active with ebay and this crap would vanish in a short period of time.

Like I said earlier Ken Goldin has actively gone after a number of ebay thieves and there is no way that Steiner should allow this to continue. If Goldin reports fake certs to ebay, they remove the item based on his word.

It just amazes me that someone who makes so much money in this hobby would not lift one finger to try to keep it a bit cleaner, especially when their own name is being dragged through the mud by a bunch of lowlifes.

But from the past experiences of my friend Chris, with Steiner it is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Also, Steiner still has absolutely no look up system for their certs at all correct? For all we know the UPC's on their plastic certs could just be for show right?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
+1
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Kevin

Hey all, if there is a 13 digit alphanumeric code on the cert card, you can punch it into their website (make sure letters are input in all caps). If the item is still available for sale it will appear on the site. You can also call but they need to update their database.

Last edited by Kco; 07-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Steiner has switched to a serial numbered hologram sticker and they will be searchable on an online database in the near future. However they just switched last year. They obviously know about the problem and are quietly fixing the issue. But to Richards point, they would never admit publicly that there is a problem, as that would hurt future sales. They could care less about us, since the majority of the members of this board are very educated about the hobby. I would venture to guess that their largest demographic is rich businessmen who could care less about price or the everyday joe that just wants to meet their favorite player in person or wants to buy a Derek Jeter item for their kids.

Also, there are lots of high priced items on eBay with fake Mounted Memories and Schwartz Sports COAs. Thos do come with both the sticker and COA credit cards. If they don't have a serial numbered hologram sticker, I would stay away. They always have the old style non serial numbered sticker.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:07 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
. They could care less about us, since the majority of the members of this board are very educated about the hobby. I would venture to guess that their largest demographic is rich businessmen who could care less about price or the everyday joe that just wants to meet their favorite player in person or wants to buy a Derek Jeter item for their kids.

I agree 100% with you .
Old 07-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
This is the bottom line... A company Brand is the most important thing they have and the good ones protect it fiercely. I am working with a client this month on a GIGANTIC waste to energy disposal of....EMPTY PACKAGING. This includes empty glass jars, tubes tops pumps and cardboard shippers that package the item with their name on it. They are paying 60K with-out batting an eye lid. They will send a security team rep to watch the trucks get loaded, follow it to the destination and watch it get thrown in the hopper. All this to PROTECT their Brand. And this isn't even bad finished product. Its only empty packaging that they don't want to get in the wrong hands.

Steiner is a 3rd rate operation. That's saying something in this business. They are IDIOTS for letting this harm their brand like this. Short sighted Jack asses.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Steiner is a 3rd rate operation. That's saying something in this business. They are IDIOTS for letting this harm their brand like this. Short sighted Jack asses.
++++++++

Brandon Steiner,
Wake up and smell the roses. You are damaging your brand and the hobby.
DO SOMETHING about this mess.
Only a dumb ostrich keeps its head buried in the sand.
Do you enjoy seeing criminals stealing money and damaging your name all at the same time. Or are you just a 3rd rate operation? Just like Fuddj says.
--
Old 07-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Steiner has switched to a serial numbered hologram sticker and they will be searchable on an online database in the near future. However they just switched last year. They obviously know about the problem and are quietly fixing the issue. But to Richards point, they would never admit publicly that there is a problem, as that would hurt future sales. They could care less about us, since the majority of the members of this board are very educated about the hobby. I would venture to guess that their largest demographic is rich businessmen who could care less about price or the everyday joe that just wants to meet their favorite player in person or wants to buy a Derek Jeter item for their kids.

Also, there are lots of high priced items on eBay with fake Mounted Memories and Schwartz Sports COAs. Thos do come with both the sticker and COA credit cards. If they don't have a serial numbered hologram sticker, I would stay away. They always have the old style non serial numbered sticker.

For an organization that considers themselves an industry leader, that's amazing that it's 2016 and they're just now getting into the matching certs.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The bottom line is they don't care. It cost them money to protect there product. Money they will not spend.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
The bottom line is they don't care. It cost them money to protect there product. Money they will not spend.
Very shortsighted, very sad and very true.
It is obvious that if it does not put $$$ directly into Brandon Steiner's pocket than it is of no interest to him.
--