NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default This Diamond Ring Doesn't Shine For Me Anymore

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

We have given considerable thought to the countless discussions surrounding
third party grading, subtle alterations and the entire issue of integrity on the part
of the auction houses, dealers and collectors.

What is quite astounding is there are very few aspects of our lives in which
we can not help but rely on the opinion of a third party grader.

Food companies have their beef graded, movie companies have their pictures
rated, umpires call balls and strikes all night and all season long and hundreds
of you have bought expensive diamond rings for your wives and/or significant
others.

In large part the price associated with that diamond ring was based on the grades
it received from an independent (GIA) third party grading service. As most of you
know, graded stones trade all the time just like baseball cards.

Meat inspectors, film board judges, umpires and GIA graders all make decisions.
People disagree, wrong decisions are made. Obvious flaws are missed.

The simple fact is that no system is and/or ever will be perfect. The buyers in all
cases are relying on the integrity, experience, expertise and reputation of the third
party. The vast majority of buyers will pay a significantly higher price for an item
that receives a high grade.

It is no different with baseball cards. We can complain all we wish, but unless and until
someone develops a viable alternative to grading...the beat will go on.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In my estimation, where the problem with this scheme lies is in believing that third party graders cast the definitive vote. When in actuality, they provide one piece of data valuable in the overall assesment of the item under evaluation.

For example a top color but seriously flawed diamond will be downgraded because of the flaw. And have a significant reduction in price associated with this professional's assessment. In actuality, the flaw could be a perfect ruby entrapped in the diamond. To some, there can be no better a birthstone ring gift than such an ruby. Certainly worth quite a premium (to one's wife). But the actual diamond's grade is low eventhough the overall piece's attributes are more desireable than a perfect diamond to some.

That is, a third party employs its assessment criteria. The purchaser should include this analysis in his overall determination of the desirability of the subject. In our hobby, this is not being done yet.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Gil,

Veteran hobbyists know how to grade cards because we've been doing it for 10-15 years. But the new hobbyists most of them rely solely on PSA or SGC, they have no idea how to independantly grade a card.

Peter C.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

My family was in the supermarket business for 70+ years, and I have been collecting baseball cards for over 25 years now. In all that time, I have never made any comparisons between beef and baseball cards. I do appreciate your thought-provoking insight on this.

Is America's Toughest Wantlist the Wagyu Beef of the collecting world? Please discuss.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Campy thought about beef and baseball cards too.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Most people now think that Gary Lewis could not sing. On the other hand, the songs are still good pop singles from the 60's

Regards
Rich

Old 09-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I agree. The song has been going through my head for two days now, since I read this thread.

Good post, by the way, Bruce. I agree with it entirely.

-Al

Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I agree, but those other industries all are regulated, right ? The sports memorabilia hobby/business follows the idea of (Cyndi Lauper's) song, "Money Changes Everything"

Alan

P.S.
Bruce, were you at the National ? We didn't see you.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

The diamond industry, to the best of our knowledge, is self-regulated.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Another "thoughtful" post by Bruce.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PS

The Steely Dan line, "You wouldn't even know a diamond if you held it in your hand" just came to mind.

I agree, a very interesting post. Knowing nothing about diamonds, I am just curious, is there as much room for subjectivity in evaluating them as there is in cards?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

<<The Steely Dan line, "You wouldn't even know a diamond if you held it in your hand" just came to mind.>>

And I keep thinking of Robert Palmer. "She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went!"

Old 09-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Now I have three annoying songs going through my head all at once.

-Al

Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

Actually, the diamond and graded card analogy work well in a way. For instance, it could said that the diamond in my wife's engagement ring is like a PSA 6 or 7 that looks like an 8. It has outstanding clarity and the cut is the best there it, but when closely examined there is what appears to be an onion peel right in the middle. However, that defect does not affect the look of the diamond and it sparkles something fierce due to the aforementioned cut and clarity. Plus, it was 1.4 carats and less expensive than a 1.5 carat would have been.

I can see where the ideas of objective and subjective metrics and the balance between technical and aesthetic critiques would have varying impacts on value.