NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Wanna bet?

Some of you are old enough to have experience playing simulated season replays with APBA or Stratomatic dice driven board games or both. Some of you may still do.

If you were a stat freak in doing so, compiling statistics in the ante-computer era required time, diligence and was fraught with unintentional errors.

For example after several hundred games, you would discover that the sum of the pitchers’ strikeouts was different than the sum of the batters’ strikeouts.

If you were obsessive compulsive and encountered such an inconsistency, you could spend hours reviewing hand scored game sheets to find your error.

At the end of a season those linked stats between batters and pitchers just had to match.

Older real baseball records have been corrected years later with the advent of retrosheet and other computer assisted compilations. But if one returns to the nineteenth century or Negro League baseball many games are not completely recorded.

You could also consider vintage minor league stats, which can be virtually non-existent or at least not preserved. Finding even a correct roster for the 1909 Rocky Mount Railroaders is a challenge.

Let’s define major leagues as the American and National League only without nineteenth century stats from other AL precursors.

So here’s the bet. Using any sources available for all major league games only, do you think you can prove that the total number of pitchers’ strikeouts equals the total number of batters’ strikeouts and that that number is correct. I say “No”.

Wanna bet?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Bob Andrews

I doubt it.

But your post really dredged up some fun memories. My Strat leagues were a ton of fun in the 60s and 70s. I used this to find averages....

Figure1_Multiplication_C-D.jpg

...until I discovered this!!

s-l1600.jpg

It was life changing.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:18 PM
Barry Sloate

I played Strat-O-Matic compulsively in 1964 and 1965- Brooks Robinson was my 1964 MVP- and I always used Batting Averages at a Glance to do my calculations. And I still have my slide rule in the top drawer of my desk, and I l know how to compute a batting average using it. I guess we are both about the same age (67).

It doesn't answer Frank's question, however.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I played Strat-O-Matic compulsively in 1964 and 1965- Brooks Robinson was my 1964 MVP- and I always used Batting Averages at a Glance to do my calculations. And I still have my slide rule in the top drawer of my desk, and I l know how to compute a batting average using it. I guess we are both about the same age (67).

It doesn't answer Frank's question, however.
I'm just shy of 67

And my answer (if I'm understanding the question correctly) is that I doubt I could reconcile the two totals.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would need some aggressive odds to bet against you on this one. And even then I don't think I'd wager much.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I'm just shy of 67

And my answer (if I'm understanding the question correctly) is that I doubt I could reconcile the two totals.
We used a slide rule in Chemistry class to do the various calculations. That was 1967-68. The pocket calculator wasn't in service until 1971.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of my favorite lyrics from one of the great songs of all time.

Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know one and one is two
And if this one could be with you

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I confess to my own OCD with regard to my OP. I was introduced to APBA in 1953 at the age of 6. Soon thereafter I began compiling stats from the game. Somewhat later I completed a 1956 season replay. With hours of reconciliation I was able to maintain a stat balance, but managing to “reality” was another problem. The best example of this was keeping Joe Adcock from hitting too many home runs. He hit 53 all together, but I played Frank Torre at first base for most of September, so Babe Ruth’s record would not be broken. I think Adcock ended up with only about 400 ABs to accomplish this goal. Babe thanked me.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:35 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of my favorite lyrics from one of the great songs of all time.

Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
..... What a wonderful world this would be

Sam Cooke

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yup. If it gets much better than that, I haven't heard it. His early loss is right up there with Buddy Holly's, one can only imagine how many great songs they still had left to write.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I confess to my own OCD with regard to my OP. I was introduced to APBA in 1953 at the age of 6. Soon thereafter I began compiling stats from the game. Somewhat later I completed a 1956 season replay. With hours of reconciliation I was able to maintain a stat balance, but managing to “reality” was another problem. The best example of this was keeping Joe Adcock from hitting too many home runs. He hit 53 all together, but I played Frank Torre at first base for most of September, so Babe Ruth’s record would not be broken. I think Adcock ended up with only about 400 ABs to accomplish this goal. Babe thanked me.
My brother and friends played relentlessly in the early 70s. APBA came out with "extra" cards that as I recall you tore from a perforated sheet and there were some real anomalies like Ken Brett having 6 "1s" on his card that led to endless disputes about what was fair.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-23-2019 at 04:00 PM.