NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 PM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

Default Question regarding PSA Grading/Miscuts......

I'm attempting to understand PSA's grading standard when it comes to the 'MC' qualifier. PSA states the following:
MC (Miscut):
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

Can anyone tell me why the Williams is not considered a miscut? Thanks for the help. (sidenote: I'm not attempting to cause an issue with the sellers of the presented cards, simply examples.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dond.jpg (76.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg tedw..jpg (77.9 KB, 198 views)
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Larry More.y

When looking at the back of this Drysdale card, the miscut is on the back and not on the front. One portion of bottom border on the stat box is missing....likely the reason for the MC. The centering on the Williams is apparently in line with the qualities associated with a "5". For a 5, here are PSA's centering requirements: Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Topps-B...item23302b868c

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 03-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Rich Klein

I believe you can also request no qualifiers on a PSA card when submitting.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Jim

PSA appears to have changed the language in the standards a bit over time - several years ago MC was defined as such

MC (Miscut):
Cards with a factory miscut, such as a diamond cut, or when another card's image is on the original card will be designated "MC."

The OC qualifier was more typically used for cards that contained the image and borders on the front along with a complete, though maybe not centered, reverse where the cut of the card was parallel to the intended borders. The degree of "off center" permissible for front and back is dependent upon the standards set for a cards of each grade (as noted above by savedfrommyspokes).
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
When looking at the back of this Drysdale card, the miscut is on the back and not on the front. One portion of bottom border on the stat box is missing....likely the reason for the MC. The centering on the Williams is apparently in line with the qualities associated with a "5". For a 5, here are PSA's centering requirements: Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Topps-B...item23302b868c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneyj View Post
PSA appears to have changed the language in the standards a bit over time - several years ago MC was defined as such

MC (Miscut):
Cards with a factory miscut, such as a diamond cut, or when another card's image is on the original card will be designated "MC."

The OC qualifier was more typically used for cards that contained the image and borders on the front along with a complete, though maybe not centered, reverse where the cut of the card was parallel to the intended borders. The degree of "off center" permissible for front and back is dependent upon the standards set for a cards of each grade (as noted above by savedfrommyspokes).

Thank you to everyone for their input. That definitely helps clear some things up for me.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
You can, but save the ink. I have subbed several that were obvious mc - not just oc - and requested on the form: NO QUALIFIERS! As every damn one came back with the Q, I've decided they either can't read, or have a hard on for mc cards.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Alex

Either grade all cards with qualifiers or grade non of them. Allowing them to be optional makes no sense.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Jim

With respect to to the OC qualifier, I believe that if you request that a card be graded without using it, then the best grade that the card can receive is only as high as the centering requirements permit (even if the card is otherwise perfect).
Old 03-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneyj View Post
With respect to to the OC qualifier, I believe that if you request that a card be graded without using it, then the best grade that the card can receive is only as high as the centering requirements permit (even if the card is otherwise perfect).
This is why we have a huge disparity in the quality of cards that all have the same grade. Ex: a card graded at a 5 vs a card graded a 5 that was a 7 oc yet graded without qualifiers. That 7 oc will be a sharp card compared to the true 5. The same is true for other grades as well. Remove the qualifier option and grade the card.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Glyn Parson

Default You can not

Opt out of mc and mk qualifiers.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
You can not opt out of mc and mk qualifiers.

According to an email I recently got from PSA you can opt out of MC. I have a severely miscut card and wanted to know what the highest grade it could possibly get if it had the qualifier. Here is the answer:

Quote:
The highest grade a card could get with a miscut is a 9 MC. The “MC” would be labeled appropriately if you choose so.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 AM
Glyn Parson

Default It must be

new policy, but just because a customer service person tells you something at PSA do not take it to the bank. They often do not truly know policy. My information comes directly from a conversation with Joe Orlando from about 3 years ago. I assume he knows/knew the policy correctly. The reasoning is the MC is outside the parameters for centering to receive even a 1 which i believe needs to be 90-10. I don't have the standards in front of me.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-31-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
new policy, but just because a customer service person tells you something at PSA do not take it to the bank. They often do not truly know policy. My information comes directly from a conversation with Joe Orlando from about 3 years ago. I assume he knows/knew the policy correctly. The reasoning is the MC is outside the parameters for centering to receive even a 1 which i believe needs to be 90-10. I don't have the standards in front of me.
I can accept that because I have never actually done it and I would take your convo with Joe O over a CSR any day.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team-of-rivals View Post
I'm attempting to understand PSA's grading standard when it comes to the 'MC' qualifier. PSA states the following:
MC (Miscut):
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

Can anyone tell me why the Williams is not considered a miscut? Thanks for the help. (sidenote: I'm not attempting to cause an issue with the sellers of the presented cards, simply examples.)
Can't you just ask PSA do not grade qualifiers and the grade is just 2 grades lower instead of a qualifier?