NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Dan- do the graders know if a card they are examining is being submitted for the twentieth time? Would that kind of pressure them into finally giving it that hoped for bump, especially if it is a good customer?
I don't know about pressure, but what about incentive? A dirty grader (and I believe there are some) might be tempted to bump a card if he knew the submitter and there was something in it for him - say like 5% ($19K) or 10% ($38K) of the profit?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I were the authorities and had any inkling of wrongdoing, or was investigating the hobby, I would probably have a conversation with the grader that bumped the card, the submitter and the graders manager. It wouldn't hurt to to see what they would say...

And if it's true that the card went from a 9 to a 10 after that many bumps, then I really don't know what to say about the people playing the "10" game. I wouldn't want to be the last one holding that potato though.

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

I give the owner credit for persistence.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Barry Sloate

Dan- I realize submissions are supposed to be anonymous. But take a high profile card like that, and assume the same grader has seen it at least a few times over that period, and it's really not all that anonymous anymore. When you are working at a company full time, you get to know alot about what is going on, and most would certainly recognize that card. I mean, we're talking about the same card in the grading room twenty times!

David- I've always been concerned with graders accepting money under the table. That's why it's so difficult to take any of these grades seriously. Of course, I have no idea what may actually go on.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That's why it's so difficult to take any of these grades seriously.
I believe if you agree with a grade, take it seriously. If not, then don't. We grade the graders with our choices of what specific cards we choose for our collections.

Sometimes the card meets the stated criteria and looks great. Sometimes it meets the criteria, but lacks eye appeal. Sometimes the card is under graded, and merits a bump-- if one wants that third-party validation or enhancement of their financial outlay, or is just out to flip it for profit. TPGs are just rendering their opinion, that's all it is, end of the day. And different graders will assign different grades to different cards on different days. It's also a business for profit; hence it's in their best interest to err on the side of stringent grading, so as to spur submissions for reviews or crack and resubs.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-09-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

It really is bizarre in one sense that putting a different flip on the same card makes a $375 K difference. But there is a market for flips that is now just as strong as the market for cards, so that's how it goes. PS In my opinion there is no meaningful difference between a 9 and 10 other than the flip. But in a market for flips that is a meaningful difference.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-09-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Frankly, IMHO, this is the stupidity of buying 10's when there is often little if any difference with a 9 other than 10X the price tag.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It really is bizarre in one sense that putting a different flip on the same card makes a $375 K difference. But there is a market for flips that is now just as strong as the market for cards, so that's how it goes. PS In my opinion there is no meaningful difference between a 9 and 10 other than the flip. But in a market for flips that is a meaningful difference.
You know what they say....in the land of the blind a one-eyed man is king!!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I don't know about pressure, but what about incentive? A dirty grader (and I believe there are some) might be tempted to bump a card if he knew the submitter and there was something in it for him - say like 5% ($19K) or 10% ($38K) of the profit?
That is inherent in third party grading.