NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

Default 2017 National

I know it's still a few months away, but I was thinking about attending the National for the first time this year. I just had a few questions about it that people might be able to answer from experience...

How much time is enough to experience everything? Mainly, how long do the autograph lines take for the higher caliber athletes? I'd like to do a lot of browsing cards, as well as maybe get some autos. Trying to figure out if one day is enough as I need to be able to fly back via standby for work Monday. Also, do they typically autograph anything? Was considering picking up a rookie card of some of them to try to get signed... I'm sure it varies based on who it is but I'd like to hear some stories. I've seen videos of the National and can imagine how long I'll take to browse through all the material. Just have no idea on the autograph guests.

Probably a stupid question, but I've only ever bought online. Do dealers/tables take cards or am I going to have to bring a bunch of cash in with me?

Thanks for any input!

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
I know it's still a few months away, but I was thinking about attending the National for the first time this year. I just had a few questions about it that people might be able to answer from experience...

How much time is enough to experience everything? Mainly, how long do the autograph lines take for the higher caliber athletes? I'd like to do a lot of browsing cards, as well as maybe get some autos. Trying to figure out if one day is enough as I need to be able to fly back via standby for work Monday. Also, do they typically autograph anything? Was considering picking up a rookie card of some of them to try to get signed... I'm sure it varies based on who it is but I'd like to hear some stories. I've seen videos of the National and can imagine how long I'll take to browse through all the material. Just have no idea on the autograph guests.

Probably a stupid question, but I've only ever bought online. Do dealers/tables take cards or am I going to have to bring a bunch of cash in with me?

Thanks for any input!
I think you need 2 days just for browsing all the cards/booths that are there. Unless you have a really narrow focus. But my focus is a bit... multi-focused. I don't do autos or corporate promos, so I can't speak for them.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Owen R

I agree with the above post, 1 day is way too short to see most of the stuff and get autographs. The auto guest will probably sign 99% of items they might exclude certain things though, due to deal with Steiner and so on. Closer to the show the national website will have info on what the athletes will/won't sign and their prices.

You should assume that most dealers want $$$ for their cards, I'm sure there will be some who accept trades, but definitely bring cash. Some of the bigger dealers might have credit card machines too. If you're planning on staying at the show all day, a packed lunch might be a good option. There is a cafe inside the convention center but there is little to choose from an is very expensive.

Hope some of this helps,

Owen
Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM

I don't know I went last year to the Atlantic City show and was in and out in about 3 hours. I guess it depends on what you're after. The autograph line took the longest but I was only there for one autograph. I spent about two hours walking the floor. Most of the things I looked at were overpriced like most shows. I did one lap and left, but I did visit every table.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM
M@rk Lu7z

I haven't been to the National for many years, but I am planning to go this summer. In the past, I found that some dealers took credit cards and, of course, they all took cash. I would carry some bills!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
John D.

Atlantic City was my first National and we were there for two full days without any autographs and it was just barely enough. I could have used 2 1/2 days.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

This time last year half the board was in a lather about how violent Atlantic City is and how you couldn't walk the streets, etc., etc. Was the wild west all of a sudden. No one's commented on Chicago's 183 murders yet. Yeah, I know, like in Atlantic City they are not neighborhoods you are likely to be in. So far AC has 5.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM

At least the National is during the summer. Otherwise you guys would have to deal with "dibs" during the winter. I've never seen anything as absurd as the dibs system in Chicago.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
This time last year half the board was in a lather about how violent Atlantic City is and how you couldn't walk the streets, etc., etc. Was the wild west all of a sudden. No one's commented on Chicago's 183 murders yet. Yeah, I know, like in Atlantic City they are not neighborhoods you are likely to be in. So far AC has 5.
Yeah, the vast majority of those murders in Chicago are on the South and West Sides, many miles from Rosemont, where the convention is held, and downtown, where out of town visitors are likely to go if they leave Rosemont. Rosemont is basically an island, run for the last 60 years by the Stephens family, that's about as safe a place as you're going to find.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default National

I spent 2 days at the Chicago national, and it wasn't enough. No autographs. The first day I went from booth to booth fairly quickly and made notes of tables that I wanted to return to. On the second day I spent a lot of time at some of the tables, dug through a lot of bins and boxes. I was there 8-9 hours per day on Thursday and Friday and I wish I could have stayed for Saturday and Sunday.

Some dealers will trade, and I have done well in the past selling cards to dealers. Some take credit cards and PayPal, but cash is king.

My wife and I will be there in July, (she is a saint!), and we plan on spending 2 days at the show. My plan is the same as always - spend most of my time on the perimeter of the show, or way in the back, working with the smaller dealers, where some good bargains can be found.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 PM

I will be attending the National for the first time since Anaheim in the mid-80s.

Here are the confirmed baseball signers for the show:

Alex Rodriguez
Andre Dawson
Cal Ripken Jr.
Dave Winfield
Dennis Eckersley
Eddie Murray
Frank Robinson
Jim Rice
Kerry Wood
Lou Brock
Mark Grace
Ozzie Smith
Pedro Martinez
Pete Rose
Reggie Jackson
Scott Williamson
Steve Carlton
Steve Trachsel
Tony LaRussa

Not sure who wants ARod's auto but to each his own.

Last edited by sreader3; 04-26-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I should mention, with what I know now and if it doesn't change, I think we will have our best Net54baseball National Dinner ever. It will be on Friday night and more details and an rsvp thread later on. As for me, will have family in tow for the first time and not be setting up at all. Pure fun and walking around with no table to be tied to this time ..That being said, I might be the guy going as "The Anonymous Collector" with a brown bag over my head, with eyes cut out to see, so I don't get distracted by too many acquaintances and friends. ...can't wait.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I spent 2 days at the Chicago national, and it wasn't enough. No autographs. The first day I went from booth to booth fairly quickly and made notes of tables that I wanted to return to. On the second day I spent a lot of time at some of the tables, dug through a lot of bins and boxes. I was there 8-9 hours per day on Thursday and Friday and I wish I could have stayed for Saturday and Sunday.

Some dealers will trade, and I have done well in the past selling cards to dealers. Some take credit cards and PayPal, but cash is king.

My wife and I will be there in July, (she is a saint!), and we plan on spending 2 days at the show. My plan is the same as always - spend most of my time on the perimeter of the show, or way in the back, working with the smaller dealers, where some good bargains can be found.
My experience coincides with the above. Two days is usually sufficient for me, but my focus for each National tends to be somewhat narrow with regard to the cards (tables featuring new or modern cards are given only a quick glance). I don't do autographs at all, though.

Best of luck to you at Chicago,

Larry
Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I should mention, with what I know now and if it doesn't change, I think we will have our best Net54baseball National Dinner ever. It will be on Friday night and more details and an rsvp thread later on. As for me, will have family in tow for the first time and not be setting up at all. Pure fun and walking around with no table to be tied to this time ..That being said, I might be the guy going as "The Anonymous Collector" with a brown bag over my head, with eyes cut out to see, so I don't get distracted by too many acquaintances and friends. ...can't wait.
Sounds great, Leon. The Net54 dinner in 2015 was tremendous! For those of you who have never been to one (and that's the first one I went to), I think it will be well worth it.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Leon,

Any idea on the location--even if tentative?

Scot
Old 04-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

We should consider Florida..
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The room is already booked/reserved for Friday night of the National at the Rosemont Embassy Suites, connected to the Convention Center. All members are invited and an RSVP thread will be in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Leon,

Any idea on the location--even if tentative?

Scot
Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
The room is already booked/reserved for Friday night of the National at the Rosemont Embassy Suites, connected to the Convention Center. All members are invited and an RSVP thread will be in a few months.
Great!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Not sure if this has been answered, but do you need a VIP ticket to get in on Wednesday. Looking at the National schedule, shows general attendance doesn't start until Thursday.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't think I would spend TOO much time browsing around, but definitely a lot. Sounds like two days will be a good plan if I can make it out there

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Is that the same building (maybe not the same room) where it was held in 2015?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Is that the same building (maybe not the same room) where it was held in 2015?

No, it's a different hotel from where we had the dinner in 2015. 2015 was at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. This year, it's at the Embassy Suites, which is next to Gibson's Steakhouse and the Doubletree Hotel.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
je.sse @rnot

Is anyone thinking about catching the Cubs vs. White Sox game on Thursday?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Jeff P

Two days is the minimum in my book. The time you need also depends on what you want to get out of it. Sure you can buzz through all of the tables in a day but can you dig through binders, boxes, etc. looking for the gems you need? I can't.

Also, for me the National is a social event and an opportunity to catch up with collectors / dealers I only see once a year and talk about cards. That takes lots of time away from browsing too.

Highly recommend you spend more than one day there.

jeff
Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

One day at the National would be like reading the first chapter of a novel. I think more than 1 day is necessary just for visiting with friends .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Two days is the minimum in my book. The time you need also depends on what you want to get out of it. Sure you can buzz through all of the tables in a day but can you dig through binders, boxes, etc. looking for the gems you need? I can't.

Also, for me the National is a social event and an opportunity to catch up with collectors / dealers I only see once a year and talk about cards. That takes lots of time away from browsing too.

Highly recommend you spend more than one day there.

jeff
Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I try to stay for all five days, or at least four. Last time I did two days was the 1996 Anaheim show and it was not enough time even to browse the show. You find a good table and you can spend hours looking through stuff.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-13-2017, 01:15 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Made the leap and I am in, including the Net 54 dinner. I need. A ballcard fix like a junkie need heroin. Hope to see all there.

Kmac
Old 05-13-2017, 05:34 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Not sure who wants ARod's auto but to each his own.[/QUOTE]

maybe if they add J. Lo to the ball? This guy won't go away.....
Old 05-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Default Net54 dinner

For this years Net54 dinner, what Leon should do (Hi Leon !!!) is set up a different collection theme at each of the tables, so one table would have a sign saying T206 cards, another table Goudey/Play ball cards, another table sign saying E cards, Type cards cards, vintage autographs, vintage memorabilia, vintage photos, etc,... and then each members can sit at the area they're are interested in to discuss those particular topics after the speakers finish. Leon can decide on the table headings or just have a vote for them.

Just a thought.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
For this years Net54 dinner, what Leon should do (Hi Leon !!!) is set up a different collection theme at each of the tables, so one table would have a sign saying T206 cards, another table Goudey/Play ball cards, another table sign saying E cards, Type cards cards, vintage autographs, vintage memorabilia, vintage photos, etc,... and then each members can sit at the area they're are interested in to discuss those particular topics after the speakers finish. Leon can decide on the table headings or just have a vote for them.

Just a thought.
Great idea! Makes sense to sit with guys that collect what you collect.

Fred
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post

Just a thought.
Wow, I can sit at T, E, and W tables....a regular social butterfly.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Only the very front table will possibly be reserved; and that for speakers, at the Dinner.