NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Default New member from MN

Hi everyone- New member to New54 here. I'm not new to the hobby at all, as I've been collecting for over 10 years now, just new to this forum. Some of you may know me from Blowout, where I spend a lot of time now, or SportsCardForum, where I used to be pretty active but like so many others don't go there much anymore

Anyways, I've been telling myself for years I should try to get into vintage more, but never really have. Well, I've finally made up my mind that I'm actually going to soon. I'm not super knowledgeable about vintage yet (although I wouldn't say I'm a complete newbie), which is why I joined here. I'd like to learn as much as I can about vintage and then slowly work my way into the vintage world of collecting- There's already a few sets I have in mind that I'd like to try and go after

Looking forward to my time here, just thought I'd introduce myself quick. I'm sure there's some threads out there with some basic information for people looking to get into the vintage world, and I'll be searching for those myself soon, but if you have anything to link me too, I'd definitely appreciate that. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

From a fellow Minnesotan, welcome to the board! Lot of knowledgeable people on here regarding vintage for sure

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Pete Sycks

Minnesota guys unite, welcome aboard.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM
pete ullman

st paul here...welcome!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Hi everyone- New member to New54 here. I'm not new to the hobby at all, as I've been collecting for over 10 years now, just new to this forum. Some of you may know me from Blowout, where I spend a lot of time now, or SportsCardForum, where I used to be pretty active but like so many others don't go there much anymore

Anyways, I've been telling myself for years I should try to get into vintage more, but never really have. Well, I've finally made up my mind that I'm actually going to soon. I'm not super knowledgeable about vintage yet (although I wouldn't say I'm a complete newbie), which is why I joined here. I'd like to learn as much as I can about vintage and then slowly work my way into the vintage world of collecting- There's already a few sets I have in mind that I'd like to try and go after

Looking forward to my time here, just thought I'd introduce myself quick. I'm sure there's some threads out there with some basic information for people looking to get into the vintage world, and I'll be searching for those myself soon, but if you have anything to link me too, I'd definitely appreciate that. Thanks!
Where in MN are you? I'm in Oakdale.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
st paul here...welcome!
I should have read the other replies before commenting. Wow.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Welcome, Hollywood.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, all! Looks like Minnesota is well represented here. I live about a half hour south of the Twin Cities, though I go to a college in Iowa during the school year- 1 semester left until I graduate!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nice to meet you on this side; I'm mjohnatgt over on blowout.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Iowa guy here, but huge Twins fan. Enjoy your posts on Blowout as well, glad you're here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Welcome!!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

I'm not from Minnesota but welcome anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Ben

welcome to net54. Lots of good stuff on here. 99.999999% of the time you will get answers to your questions. If you are looking for a card, you can pretty much guarantee that someone on here has it. But the tricky part is: Will the owner/s give the card up for the right price?

Last edited by VintageBen; 04-26-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Welcome

South Minneapolis here...welcome to the forum!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:39 AM
Michael S

Welcome!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hello whatever your name is!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Welcome. Good to have another MN guy here. I am just south of Rochester

Member since 2009
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Thanks again all, good to see some familiar faces usernames, as well as meet some new ones!

Not entirely sure where to post this as I don't feel this merits a new thread, but wanted to share some of my eventual plans for vintage. I have literally no real timeline on starting any of these projects (all are unstarted at this point)- I could just as easily pick up my first cards today as I could a year and a half from now. But, I would like to get all of these vintage projects started eventually, and wanted to share a bit about what they all are-

Baseball
Twins sets- So this one is actually already started, as I do have some vintage Twins in my Twins PC- Nothing high value or high grade though. I've been mainly focused on the Topps set from each year, though I would like to get some others as well. Would be super cool to have a complete Twins run of Topps cards from 1961 on!
T206 Minneapolis Millers- I feel like I'm almost obligated to get a few T206s in my collection. Plus they are just super cool. I won't be able to afford any of the better names, but I would like to get some of the cards, so as a Minnesotan I figured that going after the Millers from the set would be a nice way to break into the set. Should be easier and a lot more affordable. I believe the best name from the Millers is Jimmy Collins, which will be cool to have a HOFer. Maybe from there it will turn into getting a few other HOFers/other good names from the set. Who knows! Would prefer lower grade PSAs or SGCs for these at this point
1933 Delong- I've seen some posts in pickup threads across a few different forums, and some guy posted a bunch of Delongs that he acquired and they were beautiful. I'd love to start slowly building the set in PSA low grades
1934-36 Diamond Stars- This is just another cool looking set that I wanted to pick up some cards for. However, the checklist also looks pretty nice too- A lot of affordable guys I haven't heard of, but a few HOFers mixed in as well- Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey, Lefty Grove, Rogers Hornsby, Hank Greenburg, Jimmy Foxx, Tony Lazerri, Charlie Gehringer, and more are in the set. I'll be going after low grade PSAs to start this one as well- Affordable, but will be looking for eye appeal cards. Will be cool to have nice artwork, as well as some cards of some of those HOFers I mentioned without shelling out big bucks for them
1941 Play Ball- Again, just a really nice looking set and a cool checklist. Some bigger names in this one, including Dimaggio, Pee Wee Reese, and Ted Williams, so that might be a bit of a step up from the Diamond Stars set. Really like the way PSA holders look with these, so again will likely go after low grade PSAs

Basketball
1971-72 Topps- I don't collect basketball at all really, but I bought a huge lot of cards from my neighbor's husband that passed away a few years ago, and while the majority are junk era cards, there's a decent number of vintage finds in there (nothing huge). Among them are a good number of '71-72 Topps basketball, and I just really like the set. Such a '70s feel with the team name on the front of the card. Just really fun cards to look at. Probs will go raw with these for better affordability and easier storage

Hockey
1971-72 Topps- Pretty much the same as with '71-72 Topps basketball, I just really like the design and how these look. Thinking raw for these for the same reasons as above

Dunno, just wanted to share my plans. Again, don't know when I'll actually start on these, but I'm looking forward to getting going!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Erik

Welcome! I just posted yesterday for the first time, too! From MN (white bear lake), but now live in Omaha, NE. Always love talking 'SOTA' with people!

Take a look at my introduction post and see my MN pennant collection!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238889
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Bry@n

Welcome!

A quick tip: there is a ton of great info on this site but the search feature isn't much good. To find info on pretty much whatever you are after, type

search site www.net54baseball.com

into your browser followed by whatever you want to search for. This way you can use quotes and all of the other search tools that Google provides.

Last edited by Jobu; 04-27-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Very nice! Not my cup of tee, but I can certainly appreciate the content!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Welcome! I just posted yesterday for the first time, too! From MN (white bear lake), but now live in Omaha, NE. Always love talking 'SOTA' with people!

Take a look at my introduction post and see my MN pennant collection!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238889
Thanks for the tip! Never would have figured that out on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Welcome!

A quick tip: there is a ton of great info on this site but the search feature isn't much good. To find info on pretty much whatever you are after, type

search site www.net54baseball.com

into your browser followed by whatever you want to search for. This way you can use quotes and all of the other search tools that Google provides.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Welcome Hollywood24! Great group of people here. I'm local {Minneapolis}.

Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats, Uniforms & Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...apolis+millers

Uniforms of the American Association of Baseball (1902-1962)

https://net54baseball.com/showthread...58#post2008658