NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Default EBay scam artist back at work

Posted By: Marc

Check out these fake Ty Cobb's with PSA labels and judge for yourself. There isn't anything these crooks won't try.

Item number: 120299663989

Item number: 120299661999

Old 08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. Maines

It is politically incorrect to call things what they are.
In keeping with this philosophy, PSA terms Reprints and other Fakes as "? Authenticity"
Of course, this vagueness could lead the inexperienced to make a financial error, but no one would be insulted; and the inexperienced will then become experienced.
So, everyone wins.
As Martha Stewart says: "It's a good thing!"

Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ADAM WARING ONELLO SR.

Hi, I just wanted to start off with a hello to everyone. I have been reading this board for sometime. I use it mostly for advise. However this caught my attention. I had a bad Ebay transaction myself. Long story short I purchased 3 commons GAI 2-2.5 2.5. I cracked them out and sent them SGC. I was very surprised when I received them back they wern't originals! They where purchased wait for it....You guessed it from this very seller!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Adam - Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your experiences. What kind of cards were they? Can you post some scans? Also, are you sure SGC rejected them for not being authentic as opposed to being trimmed?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

I think we are talking about the same thing in this earlier thread --

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1219993162/last-1220011994/T206+PSA+%26quot%3BAuthentic--%26quot%3B+on+eBay

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Manning

Interesting to note that he's revised the listing twice, probably as a result of this forum. The "Original/Reprint" section went from "Original" to "Uncertain" to "Reprint" within a few hours on the 29th. But that didn't stop at least 3 bidders who jumped in after the revision. Currently at $41! For Nothing. Guaranteed Nothing.

But it's their money...

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

A dead giveaway for T206 reprints is the lack of a factory # on the back. Additionally, wrong back colors, such as "Sweet Caporal" in blue rather than red, indicates a reprint.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Hi, Matt yes sorry they came back trimmed. Has anyone else had this problem with GAI graded cards? Just wondering cause GAI actually seems to have pretty good service these days. The shame of it is you just don't know if the card is any good.....

Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Adam, also, welcome to the board!

Not sure if we want to turn this into a GAI bash thread but for what it's worth, I recently crossed over to SGC, 2 pre war GAI slabs that I took a chance on. These are the only two I have ever purchased. The results were not kind. A vg 3 came back from SGC as "minimum size" and still in the GAI holder and the other did cross but it lost a grade and a half from 4.5 to 3. Use your own discretion but it will be difficult for me to take another chance....

Michael

Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I'm surprised if GAI slabbed cards which weren't originals. Although there have been times GAI cards came back in lesser grade from other grading companies, they generally are accurate with regard to authenticity.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

This is anecdotal, so you'll find people who have had experiences both ways - I've also had cards bumped a grade or half grade when crossing from GAI to SGC.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

or not, there's the exception and then there's the rule. An attempted GAI cross to SGC is not a pretty thing most often.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Jeff - are you suggesting that more often then not cross-overs from GAI fail to meet the grade at SGC? I'd certainly disagree with that based on my experience and that of others I've spoken with. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen nearly enough to be "the rule" and the opposite (a grade bump) happens as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't think GAI cards will cross to SGC evenly, most of the times. Did you happen to see the GAI Cobby graded an 8 in the last Mastro auction, vis a vis the others around it?

1909-11 T206 White Border Ty Cobb, Bat On Shoulder - PSA NM-MT 8 ... $26,000.00
1909-11 T206 White Border Ty Cobb, Bat Off Shoulder - GAI NM-MT 8 ... $4,750.00
1909-11 T206 White Border Ty Cobb Portrait, Red Background - PSA NM-MT 8... $14,000.00

There is a reason for that price. Had that been in a PSA or SGC slab I am sure it would have gone for at least 2x of what it did....and probably closer to 3x.....Personally, I will rarely buy a card graded by them.....to each their own though....regards

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

interesting. I can only offer my anecdotal experience to the contrary, but I've certainly not seen that anything close to a majority of cards submitted for crossing fail to make it. I do agree that the market tends to punish GAI cards, but I'm not sure how much of that is perception as opposed to fact.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

I am saying is that based upon my limited experience a GAI cross to SGC does not do so @ the same level or get bumped, most often it falls in grade .5 to a full grade and on occasion has also come back as trimmed.

Edited to add: I also think that if there was a widespread comfort level that GAI cards would cross @ a like level that they would sell for much more than they do.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: richie

Hey Guys, I think if a GAI card would grade same when they was crossed over to SGC. I would buy all GAI cards cross them over and make a good living.Being that GAI cards sell for a lot less then a SGC of the same grade. GAI cards are always iffy IMO. I am still new to collecting cards.I listen to this site and am gaining a lot of knowledge. I am going on what I have seen. Thanks Guys enjoy holiday.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Just like I imagine there are people who make money by cracking PSA and resubmitting to PSA, I imagine people do make money by buying GAI slabs and crossing them over, but perhaps I am naive.
time to take my kids to the air show!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Air show, I love those - so does my son. I've got my Fantasy Football auction this afternoon! Happy Holiday to all!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hey thanks guy...Like I said didn't mean to bash GAI there service is actually very good as of late. A couple of my buddies swear by them. I just think I'll stick to SGC/PSA. Pay the extra money but sleep a little better at night.