NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Dan Bretta

Default Hanna Batrite with the Winged Bat Logo

Are these bats worth picking up if they are kid's size (26 inches)?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
John Harrell

Default Hanna bat

Dan,

The logo, I think, is one of the most distinctive of any bat maker and it is Hanna's first label. I have one of these bats and while it's not especially valuable, it's one of my favorites. I'd say go for it.

John
Old 05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Dan Bretta

I got the bat in today and it's more like a mini-bat. I assumed when I bought it that it was like a little leaguer bat, but this is definitely a mini-bat. The slightly larger bat in the photo is a Superior mini-bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanna1.jpg (73.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg hanna2.jpg (31.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Shawn England

Default Hanna Mini Bats

Hi Dan,

I found this article a couple of years ago while trying to research my Hanna "Georgia Cracker" bat... It may shed some light and is a great article.

Shawn

Magill: Basement cleaning brings legendary batmen to mind
Athens Banner-Herald | Story updated at 5:24 pm on 11/20/2008

Special
Johnny Mize

Special
Bob McWhorter

Dan Magill
The other day, while cleaning out my basement, I found two old Batrite bats made by the Hanna Manufacturing Company of Athens. Hanna was one of the nation's largest makers of baseball bats for five decades (1926-1976).

One of the two bats I used in intramural softball games when I was at the University of Georgia.

Hanna was the No. 1 maker of softball bats when almost every town in the country had softball leagues. Athens' games were played on the old Athens YMCA's athletic fields (located where the Holiday Inn's main parking lot is now). Various stores in town had teams. When I was a boy, the No. 1 team was McGregor's and its star pitcher was Hugh O'Farrell. He later was a World War II hero in the Battle of the Bulge, and a tank commander in the Second Armored Division.

Members of these teams were older citizens who had been athletes in high school and college. One of them was Georgia's first All-American in football (1913) Bob McWhorter, who later served as longtime Athens mayor.

Incidentally, I saw "Mr. Bob", as I always called him, hit the longest softball home run in history. It was in the spring of 1941 in a game between UGA's intramural all-stars and the faculty all-stars. I was the centerfielder representing Chi Phi fraternity and "Mr. Bob" was one of the faculty all-stars (he was a law school professor then).

We played on old Herty Field. Home plate was close to the chapel bell. "Mr. Bob" hit a ball that went way over my head in centerfield and over the "Old Beanery" building smack into Lumpkin Street.

The Hanna family lived on McWhorter drive (just a block from my home on Woodlawn) and next door to the home of Johnny Broadnax, UGA assistant athletic director. I knew members of both families, and often visited the Hanna factory at an old train depot behind the Classic Center site now.

The Louisville Slugger was the most famous bat ever made (used by Ty Cobb). It was manufactured by the Hillerich and Bradsby Co., in Louisville, Ky.

The Hanna Batrite, at one time, was the second most popular bat in baseball. It was the favorite of the great Johnny Mize of Demorest, famous home-run hitter with the St. Louis Cardinals, New York Giants and New York Yankees. He his 51 homers in 1947 with the Giants and starred on five straight World Series champion teams with the Yankees in 1949-50-1-2-3.

The greatest use of the Hanna bat, in my opinion, occurred Nov. 16, 1935, in Sanford Stadium when LSU blanked Georgia, 13-0, en route to the SEC crown.

But Georgia definitely won the free-for-all fight that erupted after the game when the LSU ROTC cadet corps, which had accompanied the team to Athens, stormed the field intent upon tearing down the goal posts for souvenirs. However, quite a few of the red-blooded Georgia students had anticipated this event and met them at the cross roads: the goal posts.

The Georgia students were armed with miniature Hanna baseball bats. They were 15-inch bats that Hanna gave away to fans as souvenirs.

There were several good fights. One of the star Georgia fighters was the Bulldogs' conference welterweight boxing champion, Mickey Radutzky of New York, a knockout puncher. He didn't need a bat.

The Georgia boys defended their goal posts, forcing the LSU cadet corps to withdraw and retreat to the train station at the north end of College Avenue, the Georgia students chasing them all the way.

I was 14 years old at the time and tagged behind the students, brandishing my bat.

Originally published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Sunday, November 23, 2008