NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Deans Cards

Last Christmas my wife snuck one of my "needs" list and used Deans to finish out a set. I was surprised and pleased as well. She couldn't stop talking about how he helped her and the excellent customer service...

The cards were in the VGish range, a little less than I wanted (my wife has no clue and does not care, lol) so I asked her how much she spent. She refused at first, but after looking at some of his stuff on ebay and his website, I HAD to know. Well...she spent at NM+ pricing and was totally taken. I could have got the cards for easily 1/3rd on BINs in better shape. I lied to my wife and said all was good thanking her deeply for caring enough about my hobby (the gesture is AWESOME) and secretly replaced all the cards.

In my eyes...he took advantage of my wife, he can go f himself. Just my .02$. He knew he had a clueless wife, and acted accordingly. They spoke direct on the phone.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Last Christmas my wife snuck one of my "needs" list and used Deans to finish out a set. I was surprised and pleased as well. She couldn't stop talking about how he helped her and the excellent customer service...

The cards were in the VGish range, a little less than I wanted (my wife has no clue and does not care, lol) so I asked her how much she spent. She refused at first, but after looking at some of his stuff on ebay and his website, I HAD to know. Well...she spent at NM+ pricing and was totally taken. I could have got the cards for easily 1/3rd on BINs in better shape. I lied to my wife and said all was good thanking her deeply for caring enough about my hobby (the gesture is AWESOME) and secretly replaced all the cards.

In my eyes...he took advantage of my wife, he can go f himself. Just my .02$. He knew he had a clueless wife, and acted accordingly. They spoke direct on the phone.
Wow, did you ever call and address this issue with him? Seems like it would be worth a discussion that should give him a chance to to the right thing.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 09-21-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Dean's Cards

Harliduck, thanks for sharing, but I have to say I don't agree with your assessment. I have zero connection to Dean's Cards...never even bought from him. His prices are online. If someone wants to pay retail prices, and not negotiate, I don't believe the seller should be badmouthed. That's how retail business operates. That's just not fair to the seller. We all know an ungraded 1985 Topps Mike Schmidt in less than gem condition (Phillies fan, and just throwing out a rough example) is barely worth the paper it's printed on, but someone will pay $1 or $2 for it. Like you said, this was a gift, and it was a great gesture by your wife. If you feel he actually charged her more than his listed price, then that's another story, and I could agree with you.

Rob Wis.hn.ick

Last edited by Leon; 09-21-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
Harliduck, thanks for sharing, but I have to say I don't agree with your assessment. I have zero connection to Dean's Cards...never even bought from him. His prices are online. If someone wants to pay retail prices, and not negotiate, I don't believe the seller should be badmouthed. That's how retail business operates. That's just not fair to the seller. We all know an ungraded 1985 Topps Mike Schmidt in less than gem condition (Phillies fan, and just throwing out a rough example) is barely worth the paper it's printed on, but someone will pay $1 or $2 for it. Like you said, this was a gift, and it was a great gesture by your wife. If you feel he actually charged her more than his listed price, then that's another story, and I could agree with you.

Rob
I disagree with this. For one thing, it sounds like these were a bunch of commons that John needed for his sets. So, the prices were most likely not posted anywhere online. The dealer could tell that she didn't have a clue about fair prices. She was essentially handing him a blank check for the cards on the wantlist. In my opinion, he has 2 choices:
1. Sell them to her for a fair price, or
2. Charge her a ridiculously high price.
He had the opportunity to name his price, and he chose to take advantage of her. If he had given great customer service, and a fair price, he would deserve to have a post on here talking about how great of a dealer he is. With the way he chose to do business, he deserves the post that says "he can go f himself". All of this, imo of course.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Robert Williams

When I was new to the hobby many years ago, I used Dean's cards to buy some Red Mans. I paid around $8-$10 for commons with no pictures. The cards I got were in really rough shape (P-F) and could have been gotten on Ebay for around $1 each. That was my first and last dealing with Dean's cards. I have never looked back.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

From Dean's Cards website

"If you will give us the opportunity to earn your business, you will be glad that you did. We guarantee it. We love this hobby and work very hard to insure that orders are shipped 100% correct, mailed within one business day and that the items sent are conservatively graded. If you are not happy for any reason, you may return your order for a full refund".

Your wife may never buy you another card, but the above paragraph from their website would suggest that you had another option.

Giving them the opportunity to earn my business with their pricing is another story all together.

As to grading your own cards, I do not have a problem. Unless you are into TPG grading VG commons, grading cards yourself would seem to facilitate inventory management.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 09-21-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I'm fine with the prices Dean's Cards charges. They offer a streamlined and guaranteed service that is appealing to many.

I have sold a few decent cards on eBay and been surprised when the auction was over that the winner was Dean's Cards. So he's buying inventory at eBay market values and then reselling. He's got to make a profit.

The service may not be for everyone. My wife only buys cards twice a year as gifts and I know she has used Dean's Cards. I know she is probably paying more than one could get the same cards on eBay but she prefers that for piece of mind. She has said she is not confident buying on EBay and I totally understand that. Dean's has a great, easy-to-use website, great customer service, and guaranteed (as close as possible) authenticity. Ebay is a tough market for novices with scams everywhere. If she's only buying cards once or twice a year as gifts she wants to do so in an environment that is safe and reliable. You pay extra for that security and reassurance. And all the card she has bought were PSA graded for added assurance.

I have looked at his website and think it is pretty nice. And I would not disparage one of the strongest card shops in America doing fantastic business -- it is not an easy market anymore and plenty of people on this site have criticized the old mom and pop card shops going out of business for failing to adapt to the internet.

And.rew Co.rso

Last edited by Leon; 09-21-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Why is it when some people defend these rip off artists (and it's not just Dean's Cards), they use terms like 'guaranteed customer service" and "probably paying a little more" to make their point?

Please tell me what is "guaranteed customer service"? If I buy a card on eBay from seller XYZ and it arrives in the condition as stated within a reasonable time, isn't that great customer service? Should I expect more? What separates Dean's Cards' customer service from seller XYZ's customer service? You say it as if it makes you feel better about your purchase for spending double or triple the price with Dean's Cards than you could have paid with another dealer.

Me: "I just bought this new Toyota Camry at a dealership on the north side of Houston for $27K"

My neighbor: "Well, I just bought the same Toyota Camry at dealership on the south side of Houston for $36K, but the customer service was excellent."

Seriously, don't you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You're justifying the high price with their customer service. Sure, I realize some things in life are worth spending a little more for given their reputation for excellent customer service (like a nice hotel or restaurant), but we're taking baseball cards here. If it gets to you in the condition that is was described, in a timely manner, then that's all that matters, right? I'm not sure why some people equate paying more for a baseball card with the customer service they received.

And as far as "probably paying a little more," there is no probably to it. Can someone show me a card in his inventory that isn't priced at 150% of what the card should normally sell for? And most of them are priced 2 to 3 times retail value.

But in the end it is your money and if you want to spend more of it for a card you can get somewhere else a lot cheaper, by all means go for it.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Richard L.

Interesting to hear opinions from both ends of the spectrum. Personally, can't understand why anyone would snag a buy it now, as the same card could be found elsewhere in the same condition for a fraction? This MUST have been a gift from the wifey

http://tinyurl.com/l5ethmc
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post

I am sorry that this happened to you ...as a collector, I realize my wife wants to help my collection also. To avoid something like this from happening, I ask for paypal gift certificates. Wife still feels like she helped, I pick the cards.