NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Frank Hay-zer

Default MLB logo (1960 Topps Mantle)

Hello!

I'm not sure if this topic has already been discussed (I couldn't find any threads on it) but I have always wondered, was the MLB logo designed after the 1960 Topps All star Mickey Mantle? It always looked very similar to me.

Thanks!
-Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 topps mantle.jpg (77.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: png mlb logog.png (2.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Designed in 1968 according to wikipedia. Definitely looks similar, although the elbow protrusion seems to be the biggest difference.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_..._Baseball_logo
I had always heard Killebrew, and that's what people asked the designer. However, the Mantle is definitely close enough to be considered one of the sourced images.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 11-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Similar indeed, but I believe the logo based on an image of Harmon Killebrew

https://www.businessinsider.com/harm...-legend-2011-5

Last edited by BLongley; 11-30-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Frank Hay-zer

I see - I was looking at the sleeve, hands on the bat, curve of the bat, physique, nose, hat, and where the image is cut off.. but I never noticed the elbow! I do see the difference now.

Thanks!
-Frank
Old 11-30-2018, 02:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It looks like a dead ringer for Pete Rose, but I have always heard it was 'based' (pun intended) on a photo of 'Killer.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Time for a bit of fun with a logic tangent:
The logo was obviously designed so the player could be perceived to be either a left handed or right handed batter (I have always seen a righty), but logically speaking this 'batter' is clearly a lefty. Why? If the graphic was an actual photograph, then you would have to take into account the position of the baseball. If the batter was a righty, the ball would be in the background (and based on perspective and distance, appearing smaller than normal), and conversely a lefty would have the ball in the foreground (appearing slightly larger). (Of course, it's assumed the pitch is over the plate and not way inside, way outside or about to hit the batter.) If the ball in the logo was in the background, the size wouldn't match up at all. In reality, it would be much too big, the size of a softball, whereas a ball in the foreground (closest to the viewer) would make it much closer to the actual size it should be. Conclusion: left hander.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Time for a bit of fun with a logic tangent:
The logo was obviously designed so the player could be perceived to be either a left handed or right handed batter (I have always seen a righty), but logically speaking this 'batter' is clearly a lefty. Why? If the graphic was an actual photograph, then you would have to take into account the position of the baseball. If the batter was a righty, the ball would be in the background (and based on perspective and distance, appearing smaller than normal), and conversely a lefty would have the ball in the foreground (appearing slightly larger). (Of course, it's assumed the pitch is over the plate and not way inside, way outside or about to hit the batter.) If the ball in the logo was in the background, the size wouldn't match up at all. In reality, it would be much too big, the size of a softball, whereas a ball in the foreground (closest to the viewer) would make it much closer to the actual size it should be. Conclusion: left hander.
Fun 'tangent'! That's interesting and based on that, I agree, the batter was a lefty...unless...he was a switch hitter!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh8147 View Post
Fun 'tangent'! That's interesting and based on that, I agree, the batter was a lefty...unless...he was a switch hitter!
The bat and knuckles of the hand are behind the body. It is a righty and the profile looks like Killebrew.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Jason

Crazy, I was always under the impression that it was Clemente. Not sure if I heard that or read about it...
Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

And my logic also applies to the bat. The handle looks pretty thick, and therefore it is in the foreground, closer to the viewer. If this batter was a righty, the bat would be in the background, further away from the viewer, and would thus appear thinner/smaller than 'normal.' Again, lefty.

Casey Stengel

Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And my logic also applies to the bat. The handle looks pretty thick, and therefore it is in the foreground, closer to the viewer. If this batter was a righty, the bat would be in the background, further away from the viewer, and would thus appear thinner/smaller than 'normal.' Again, lefty.
The dudes a righty... As you probably know Brooks was unable to do the photoshoot for the logo that day so they opted, begrudgingly at that, for Killer 😬.

I agree with what you stated before that they designed the logo to view either a righty or lefty. I’ve pretty much seen a righty, but when I try I can see the lefty as well. As you probably are aware Killer used a “pretty thick” bat and he was definitely a righty.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

From the link on the first page of this thread:
Creation[edit]
According to Dior, the logo was created in a single afternoon. Contrary to popular belief, the silhouette was not modeled on future Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew,[1] or any specific player[2] but was drawn with reference to photographs of several players.[3] The silhouette was chosen specifically because of its ambiguity: the batter could be right- or left-handed and of any ethnic background.[3]

Casey Stengel

Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Growing up I always understood it to have been based on Killebrew, but then sometime later I saw on some MLB blog where supposedly MLB claimed that was not true. I have no idea. Will agree the '60 Mantle AS looks like a plausible candidate.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Frank Hay-zer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Growing up I always understood it to have been based on Killebrew, but then sometime later I saw on some MLB blog where supposedly MLB claimed that was not true. I have no idea. Will agree the '60 Mantle AS looks like a plausible candidate.
In the last few days, I read about 10 articles on this with half saying it was Killebrew and half saying it wasn't - it does look like him though!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankh8147 View Post
I see - I was looking at the sleeve, hands on the bat, curve of the bat, physique, nose, hat, and where the image is cut off.. but I never noticed the elbow! I do see the difference now.

Thanks!
-Frank
Ears a perfect match with Joe Jackson
Old 12-05-2018, 04:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Time for me to take a deep breath and find my happy place...
This thread reminds me of each and every thread in the memorabilia section where someone asks people to identify the player(s) in a picture, and the responses are so ridiculously off that I don't know what to do with myself. Apparently every picture taken early in the last century had Joe Jackson or Ty Cobb in it. Oy vey.

Please know that there is no offense intended to anyone whatsoever, but the MLB silhouette doesn't look like Killebrew at all, come on!!! How can anyone possibly believe that?? Seriously, what am I missing??? He had a round, maybe bulbous, head. This 'player' has a thin, long head with a prominently pointy nose. It portrays a slender guy. No chubbiness in the face (no offense, Killer). The artist apparently said it was an amalgam of players, but if it was based mostly on an actual player, it was Pete Rose. It's basically a dead ringer for him (and his head). Maybe it's a generational thing, but I literally can't understand how anyone looks at the MLB logo and DOESN'T immediately see Charlie Hustle (random pictures from the 60's grabbed quickly from the internet)...

gettyimages-177153497-1024x1024.jpg
th.jpg
signed_pete_rose_autographed_8x10_photo_cincinnati_reds_psa_dna_certified_p168787.jpg
pete_rose_1966_07_01.jpg
58569-11Fr.jpg

...end of rant, and another deep breath taken.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-05-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Todd Schultz

I always thought it was Killebrew, but I was an impressionable Minnesota kid who saw him bat so many times it may have just seemed logical.

Harmon had a classic but somewhat distinct batting pose, with the shoulder and elbow generally kept a bit high and the chin tucked into the sleeve/logo area when early in the AB. The logo seemed to capture that to me. The only player who I've seen bat like that since was Matt Williams.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-05-2018 at 10:14 PM.