NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
If the idea of not harming animals offends you. please seek help.
Harming animals offends me as does the propaganda filled webpage you linked to that is filled with a lot of complete BS. I do agree the large scale farms are horrible beyond what most could imagine. I feel very differently about the small scale family farms they are also bashing.

Also hope you know that it has been scientifically proven plants feel pain. So when you cut off that piece of loose leaf lettuce or pull that carrot you ARE causing stress to the plant. I have attended The university of Arizona, Mississippi State University, Missouri Western State University, and The University of Wisconsin on every imaginable aspect of plant growth. So I am not just throwing out unsubstantiated opinions like the website you linked to.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have always said I don't want to hurt a plants feelings; while I am eating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Harming animals offends me as does the propaganda filled webpage you linked to that is filled with a lot of complete BS. I do agree the large scale farms are horrible beyond what most could imagine. I feel very differently about the small scale family farms they are also bashing.

Also hope you know that it has been scientifically proven plants feel pain. So when you cut off that piece of loose leaf lettuce or pull that carrot you ARE causing stress to the plant. I have attended The university of Arizona, Mississippi State University, Missouri Western State University, and The University of Wisconsin on every imaginable aspect of plant growth. So I am not just throwing out unsubstantiated opinions like the website you linked to.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I thought pulling the carrot relieved stress?

It's really interesting all the arguments regarding eating some meats, eating all meats, eating no meats, etc. I was in the middle of a 'fishetarian' diet when I first read 'The Paleo Diet'. That book turned me back to including red meat in my diet. Then I read 'I am a Strange Loop' by Douglas Hofstadter and decided I needed to re-think any meat-eating; however, it had no lasting impact. The helicopter pig hunt reminded me of Hofstadter's thoughts on animal 'souls' and I hate to say it, but I'm giving up bacon. 'Bottom Feeder' completely revamped my seafood eating and I think anyone who eats seafood should read it - you will learn some scary things, plus it's just plain fun to read. If you are going to put something into your body that is used to build more cells in your body, you really ought to have an idea of what it is (on all levels).

I've had extensive conversations with Mike, and also with Robert - I can't imagine getting angry with them about anything. The internet is loaded with garbage with a little bit of information mixed in. As a representative of what I stated in that last sentence, I believe this post qualifies as one of Hofstadter's strange loops.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I thought pulling the carrot relieved stress?

It's really interesting all the arguments regarding eating some meats, eating all meats, eating no meats, etc. I was in the middle of a 'fishetarian' diet when I first read 'The Paleo Diet'. That book turned me back to including red meat in my diet. Then I read 'I am a Strange Loop' by Douglas Hofstadter and decided I needed to re-think any meat-eating; however, it had no lasting impact. The helicopter pig hunt reminded me of Hofstadter's thoughts on animal 'souls' and I hate to say it, but I'm giving up bacon. 'Bottom Feeder' completely revamped my seafood eating and I think anyone who eats seafood should read it - you will learn some scary things, plus it's just plain fun to read. If you are going to put something into your body that is used to build more cells in your body, you really ought to have an idea of what it is (on all levels).

I've had extensive conversations with Mike, and also with Robert - I can't imagine getting angry with them about anything. The internet is loaded with garbage with a little bit of information mixed in. As a representative of what I stated in that last sentence, I believe this post qualifies as one of Hofstadter's strange loops.
We are all passionate about different things. I think a lot of time we convey and interpret things posted on forums wrongly. I am sure most that posted in this thread are very wonderful people and in person we could have some wonderful conversations despite our different beliefs. It would be a boring place if we all though the same way.

Leon, even with being 25% Indian(NA for you younger folks) I don't even believe in the craziness of plants having those type of feelings.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 PM
+0m J()rd@N

OK to post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ted fishing.jpg (27.9 KB, 160 views)
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
OK to post?
Really depends on who posts and what day of the week it is. Beautiful card, can't wait to get mine back.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Guys really no harm was meant! My local paper had pictures of me and deer in the paper and not one person complained. I guess maybe where I live its more acceptable to hunt.
This thread got just odd. I would agree is started a little off by title and pic(not expecting it) but man.. all this backlash... babe would be rolling in his grave. So many compassionate people here.. who would have thought?!?

Congrats on your hunt; glad you were able to have the experience and provide food for your family. You now understand/hands on what eating meat entails.
Those posting pictures of fish, dogs and pussy (cats), maybe not eating meat should be a New Years resolution.

OP: pm me, let's compare stories.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Leon; 12-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Really depends on who posts and what day of the week it is. Beautiful card, can't wait to get mine back.
No, actually it doesn't depend on who posts and the day of the week. As I recall the last person (before this) who posted a dead animal is banned. As for the Ted fishing card, not the same.

Last edited by Leon; 12-28-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Closed Thread