NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Bill foster cut signature on index card

Can anyone tell me the rarity and value of his auto
Thanks for your input
Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Hunt sold one yesterday for about $2,000, I would say $1,500-$2,000.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:47 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Here's the link to the item
https://www.huntauctions.com/live/im...t_qual=&closed
Old 04-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Very rare

From what I've been told (including by Spence) this is a very/extremely rare autograph. My best guess is that there are less than twenty authentic Bill/Willie Foster signatures out there. I know of two signed 1970s Negro League All Star cards, one property tax form, two index cards, a written and signed card, a couple of checks (I think), and another government form. I suspect, and I cannot say why other than a gut instinct, that there are a few more out there, more checks or government forms, etc., but for now its pretty scarce. Given the very recent Green Diamond sale, I'd say that a solid Bill/Willie Foster signature by itself on a non-government form would be i the $2000 range. Anything that embellishes it with more writing, I think is $3000+. A ball? Fuggetaboutit, sky's the limit. If you've got one, consider yourself lucky. It makes the HOF set complete, and is truly one of the scarcest HOFer signs out there.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:47 PM

I had two signed letters on official documents and got in the $2000 each range for them. One sold last year in REA. There are more than twenty out there, he was a willing signer through the mail for years but the interest level was low at the time of his death. In the mid 1980's you could buy him from autograph dealers for about $5 each and several dealers had 3x5 cards and cuts on hand (reputable). Still though, even if there are a couple hundred out there, that is still a VERY low number for a Hall of Famer and the demand is high. Many are tucked away in pretty advanced collections. I know of at least two single signed balls that are authentic and have wonderful provenance of personal meetings with Foster in the mid-1970's. I would bet there are less than five known but probably a few more in collections that nobody knows about.

Last edited by prewarsports; 04-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 PM

Foster also attended a very early Negro League reunion where he signed. I recall one multi-signed baseball from this event which he autographed, humbly adding "for Rube Foster" underneath his signature.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 04-14-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:41 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

About 5-7 years ago, the family auctioned his personal bible which contained three full signatures (William H Foster), along with the full name of his son (William Douglas Foster). Ron K. and I had a debate whether or not the son's name (William Douglas Foster) constitutes an autograph (I said yes, he said no). I know that at least three are owned by members of this board. Here is my signature from the bible

Last edited by tazdmb; 04-15-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:37 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

He is difficult to find but my no means impossible or ultra rare or scarce , in fact in my experience/opinion I wouldn't place him in the top 25 rarest HoFers. In my collection I now have 2 but at one time I had 5 of his signatures in my collection on a 3x5, a check,a mortgage deed,a tax form , and a newspaper article naming him as one of the next Negro Leaguers who should be in the HoF. Bill Corcoran from 2001- 2007 was a great source of Bill Foster autographs , and I purchased most of mine from him privately. Also Jim Stinson offered a few as well.
With Foster all you need is patience to acquire him and upgrading his signature is possible and he is a very affordable autograph unlike Rube whom you take what you can get when he comes to market and be prepared to pay, and who truly is a top 12 in rarity.

PS Frank I've always liked the bible in your collection.

Last edited by Klrdds; 04-15-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:02 PM

Default Foster

I have a Foster 3x5 I would be open to selling if anyone interested.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:55 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4602 View Post
I have a Foster 3x5 I would be open to selling if anyone interested.
Did you have a price and pics/any LOA/provenance behind it?

You can private message me if that’s easiest.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:13 AM
Michael

The Laughlin is signed on back n(no picture with me). I see them pop up at auction. Just don't see Rube Ever
ZHof Foster, Willie.jpg

Foster, Willie 1974 Laughlin signed back.jpg