NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Dan Paradis

Default HOF RC's A-C

A few months ago a small group of us started compiling a list of RC's for HOF'ers. Our project halted after only making it to the "C's". I may attempt to start up again when I get more time (probably the winter).

We first tried to define "what is a card". No surprise we almost didn't make it any further. Personally I like Hal Lewis' definition of "what is a card" (do a archive N54 search on the subject). I'm not crazy about calling anything larger than a postcard or exhibit card a "baseball card" (i.e. W600's) but everyone else was so we included larger "cards". We did not include any minor league cards (pre-rookie's). The cards had to display the player from their playing days (i.e. not in a minor league uniform or from their minor league playing days).

I'm not looking to start an argument as to what defines a card, should we include PRC's, etc. This is just a list with the rules we decided on. If you agree with our guidelines then use the list, if you don't agree go ahead and create your own list (or use ours as a starting point and modify as needed)!

Also, the "PSA P W" (in red) next to some of the cards indicates the card is PSA's RC choice for their HOF Player Post-War registry.

FYI. I'd love to complete the list someday and have a website (I've already reserved an address) with images for every card (hopefully from N54 members cards). I know Phil already has a website (Phil was part of our group) called: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com. However, Phil's list is more like a list of "collectibles" since it includes pins, photo's, etc. He also includes pre-rookies in his list. I don't mean any dis-respect to Phil, his website is fantastic. I'd like to have a place where everyone can go to find out what are the acceptable rookie cards for every HOF'er (according to our guidelines mentioned earlier).

Sorry the images may not be that clear. If you'd like a spreadsheet version just let me know.

If you have any additional information, corrections, additions, comments, etc. please email me at: danp306@gmail.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RC-A.jpg (79.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg RC-B.jpg (75.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg RC-C1.jpg (77.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg RC-C2.jpg (79.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Matt Wieder

How does this compare to the list on OldCardboard?
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Very Good. That's exactly the kind of list I've been trying to put together...Basically, a list of latest acceptable rookie cards.. I'm far from an expert, but I've done my share of studies. If you need any help, just let me know...

Last edited by novakjr; 08-21-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

would the 1908 E102 Ty Cobb be considered a rookie card?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How does this compare to the list on OldCardboard?
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp
We actually used the Old Cardboard list (along with other sites like: VCP) as a starting point.

I believe the Old Cardboard list (created by Phil Garry) is actually the same information as: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com. I believe baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com is more up to date since Phil is managing the site.

In my opinion: Old Cardboard (like: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com) is a list of HOF Rookie "collectibles" (I've discussed this with Phil). It includes: photo's, pins, stamps, silks, etc. which I don't believe anyone could argue are "cards". Also, it include pre-rookie cards (i.e. Hank Aaron 1952 Indianapolis Clown's card is his PRC).
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
would the 1908 E102 Ty Cobb be considered a rookie card?
Yes, good catch! Now that I think of it I don't think we finished our review of the "C's". I guess you guys will do it for us.

I'll add the E102 to the spreadsheet for Cobb.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Very Good. That's exactly the kind of list I've been trying to put together...Basically, a list of latest acceptable rookie cards.. I'm far from an expert, but I've done my share of studies. If you need any help, just let me know...

Definitely! Feel free to review what I sent out so far. Once we start up again we could certainly use more help.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

So far everything checks out with my lists...But for George Brett, I'd probably take off the SSPC. No matter what PSA says, I'm pretty sure that's a '76 issue. And obviously Blyleven is missing.

Last edited by novakjr; 08-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Phil Garry

Dave:

Here's Blyleven:

http://baseballhalloffamerookiecards...even_Bert.html
Old 08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Thank you Phil...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
So far everything checks out with my lists...But for George Brett, I'd probably take off the SSPC. No matter what PSA says, I'm pretty sure that's a '76 issue. And obviously Blyleven is missing.

Yes, I saw the N54 threads about the SSPC being from 76. That was great to hear. No one would call Brett or Eckersley's RC an SSPC. I will update the spreadsheet to remove the SSPC for Brett.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Yes, I saw the N54 threads about the SSPC being from 76. That was great to hear. No one would call Brett or Eckersley's RC an SSPC. I will update the spreadsheet to remove the SSPC for Brett.
Eckersley would still be fine with that set.. Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice all no though. Unless you wanna discount it because it was an unauthorized set..