NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2023, 08:44 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Update on my plan… and a question for this smart group!

My adult son is my trusted advisor and partner in fun on this journey and he LOVES the 51 Bowman Mantle (logic, I already have the iconic Cobb Portait Cobb and the full body ‘33 Goudey Ruth. Solid logic!)

Here is my question - totally boring but important. Since I’ll probably need to liquidate ~$15k or so of my current collection to build funds to buy the Mantle, for tax and capital gains issues, is it worth trying to find a Mantle seller who might consider at least a partial trade?

That could lower my capital gains risk on the sale of my current cards, right?

(Sorry, told you it was boring&#129315

Jeff
Yep, pretty boring. So I guess I'll bore you to tears.

I'm not sure what you mean by "capital gains risk". But if you're trying to imply that a trade means you don't have to pay tax on your capital gains when you trade your cards in for other cards, then sadly you're wrong, at least under current law.

Having said that, prior to 2018, you would have been right! But under the last round of tax reform, like kind exchanges (i.e. trades) are now only nontaxable events for real estate assets. Every other asset is no longer eligible for like kind exchanges. For the perennially jaded, be my guest in assuming that our former president wanted to protect tax benefits for his preferred asset class, while eliminating that benefit for every other asset class to find some revenue to offset tax cuts in other areas.

All of which is a long way of saying that even if you trade one baseball card for another, you have to recognize a gain on the card you gave up if it has increased in value between when you acquired it and when you traded it. Along these lines, if you bought a card in 2013 for $5, and then today you trade it for a card that today is worth $100, then it sounds like you have a capital gain for $95.

I will concede that if by "capital gains risk", you mean to suggest that since there's no cash involved in your trade, the likelihood of anyone noticing or catching you is lower, then I suppose there's some chance that you might be right. But as a tax professional, I would never encourage anyone to flout the law simply based on the premise that the likelihood of discovery is low.

Or as Mark Twain once said: "We ought never do wrong when anyone is looking". Or when we've mused about it on a public chat board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6vvAG3xfo

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-29-2023, 11:49 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
For the perennially jaded, be my guest in assuming that our former president wanted to protect tax benefits for his preferred asset class, while eliminating that benefit for every other asset class to find some revenue to offset tax cuts in other areas.
(Deleted so as not to discuss political crap)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 03-29-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default No politics on the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Yep, pretty boring. So I guess I'll bore you to tears.

I'm not sure what you mean by "capital gains risk". But if you're trying to imply that a trade means you don't have to pay tax on your capital gains when you trade your cards in for other cards, then sadly you're wrong, at least under current law.

Having said that, prior to 2018, you would have been right! But under the last round of tax reform, like kind exchanges (i.e. trades) are now only nontaxable events for real estate assets. Every other asset is no longer eligible for like kind exchanges. For the perennially jaded, be my guest in assuming that our former president wanted to protect tax benefits for his preferred asset class, while eliminating that benefit for every other asset class to find some revenue to offset tax cuts in other areas.

All of which is a long way of saying that even if you trade one baseball card for another, you have to recognize a gain on the card you gave up if it has increased in value between when you acquired it and when you traded it. Along these lines, if you bought a card in 2013 for $5, and then today you trade it for a card that today is worth $100, then it sounds like you have a capital gain for $95.

I will concede that if by "capital gains risk", you mean to suggest that since there's no cash involved in your trade, the likelihood of anyone noticing or catching you is lower, then I suppose there's some chance that you might be right. But as a tax professional, I would never encourage anyone to flout the law simply based on the premise that the likelihood of discovery is low.

Or as Mark Twain once said: "We ought never do wrong when anyone is looking". Or when we've mused about it on a public chat board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6vvAG3xfo
Please, no political crap....

As for the most iconic prewar card, except maybe the T206 Wags, I think #144 is it.
Green Cobby is right there also and you can find really nice examples, in lower grades, to easily fit the budget. This was in the 10k range a few years back, in the BST area. Thanks again, Tony. Love this card.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Please, no political crap....

As for the most iconic prewar card, except maybe the T206 Wags, I think #144 is it.
Green Cobby is right there also and you can find really nice examples, in lower grades, to easily fit the budget. This was in the 10k range a few years back, in the BST area. Thanks again, Tony. Love this card.

My apologies to Leon and to the forum. I shall endeavor to avoid political crap in my posts.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-29-2023, 12:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

How did this one get in here?

1990 Fleer- Jose Uribe.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-29-2023, 12:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

...or...if condition isn't your priority:

Nah! You probably couldn't get a loan for this one:

Wagner card sells for 475K in Feb 2022.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-29-2023, 02:20 PM
J0hn Collin$

When I was about 25 in 2002 or so, I sold a G-ish (creased) but still fantastic looking '52 Topps #312 Jackie for 500 bucks. In my defense, I made money on it and couldn't afford what I had paid for it to begin with. Ooops. Oh well...

Today after getting back into the hobby in earnest in my late 30's, I have a fairly decent sized, 99% postwar collection. I suppose I could move the bulk of it and pair down to only 5-10 truly "iconic" cards which could include some prewar the likes of Ruth or Cobb, but so far have never been motivated to do that. I guess we'll see if that changes one day.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-29-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:02 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

For me, it's these:

1) 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson
2) 1933 Goudey #53 (Yellow) Babe Ruth
3) 1951 Bowman Willie Mays
4) 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson
5) A centered 1954 Topps Hank Aaron
Old 04-05-2023, 11:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 55% of a Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
...or...if condition isn't your priority:

Nah! You probably couldn't get a loan for this one:

Attachment 565043
850K would be the estimate (didn't this just sell?)
Old 04-05-2023, 12:34 PM
Jim Caravello

As much as I love card collecting, I would never buy a card for $15,000 unless I knew I could sell it the next day for that amount or more very quickly to more than one party...meaning, it has to be a deal....

Now, I would spend $15,000 on a game used jersey all day long......