NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default New Policy Change at Paypal? Why would anyone use ebay/paypal going forward.

While searching the internet I came across this news item. This can't seem possible, however I did find two different sites that wrote about this policy change at paypal.

If you sell an item and the buyer believes the item is not authentic, paypal wants the buyer to destroy the item since it would be illegal to send the item back to the seller. Of course the seller will not be reimbursed and the payment will be taken out of their account.

Here is the link to one of the stories.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/04/paypal_destroys_violin/

Here is the link to a second story on this subject:

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin...325772966.html
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Ya, thats crap.
But will hopefully cut out alot of the illegitimate crap that is sold on ebay (and other sites that use Paypal). One would assume that this is their reasoning. That really, really sucks for the guys selling legitimate items though. This opens up room for scammers to "buy" an item, such as a Ruth ball or something else exceptionally rare, and get away with theft after stating to Paypal that it is a fake? They should really look into this.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Bilko Glasier

So i guess that means all buyer become "authenticators" now too
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I'm finding this hard to believe. I searched through all the paypal policy updates for the last 2 years and it says nothing about this policy.

But, let's see if there is a silver lining (if it's true): We all know certain sellers on ebay who consistently pump out crap. I'm not talking the newbie or someone who has good stuff with one bad egg, but someone who blatantly sells junk. Now, instead of just getting mad or posting it on here, we can buy it, call it out, destroy it, and do the scam artist some harm!

Of course, as we've seen in recent posts, they'll just move to local auctions or craig's list or wherever Frank/Piedmont ended up.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM

My question is, if a buyer buys a piece of crap, how does eBay/PayPal know they destroyed the piece of crap after they get their money back?

What keeps the buyer from holding onto the crap for some period of time and then listing it on eBay? Better yet, what keeps the buyer from selling it at a local auction?

If I were shady, I could make a LOT of money with this new policy. I could search eBay all day for known crap, buy it then, once I get it, file a complaint with PayPal and get my money back. After that I could take the items to local auction houses and sell them and whatever I get would be pure profit.

David
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

my biggest concern when I posted these links was that someone selling a legitimate item could get robbed by an unscrupulous buyer.

All the buyer has to do is "claim" it's not good and basically would be able to keep the item, free of charge. If the buyer is 1,000 miles away, what recourse would a seller realistically have?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Imagine if Coaches Corner used Paypal. They would be out of business in a month.

dh
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
My question is, if a buyer buys a piece of crap, how does eBay/PayPal know they destroyed the piece of crap after they get their money back?

What keeps the buyer from holding onto the crap for some period of time and then listing it on eBay? Better yet, what keeps the buyer from selling it at a local auction?

If I were shady, I could make a LOT of money with this new policy. I could search eBay all day for known crap, buy it then, once I get it, file a complaint with PayPal and get my money back. After that I could take the items to local auction houses and sell them and whatever I get would be pure profit.

David

If you were shady, you could make a lot of money buying known good material, file a complaint with Paypal and sell it wherever you wanted.

After all, being shady doesn't limit you to only ripping off bad sellers.

Fortunately I tend to think this falls in the Urban Legend category. I've seen this rumor floating around the internet regarding Ebay and Paypal for years now.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Both of those articles were in relation to a single instance (the second article actually commenting on the first) of Paypal requiring a buyer to destroy the supposed counterfeit item (a violin). They do not address whether the violin actually was counterfeit or not, but refer back to a From Paypal's T&C:

"If an international buyer purchases an item, the buyer will be instructed to provide PayPal with evidence (documentation from a 3rd party) that the item is counterfeit. PayPal will validate the documentation and then ask the buyer to destroy the item and attest to this action by signing an affidavit."

The original blog post that they are referring to is here:

http://www.regretsy.com/2012/01/03/from-the-mailbag-27/

I'll preface the rest of this by saying I know zilch about violins: My guess is that the seller's description was misleading (whether intentionally or not) as to the origin/authenticity of the violin, and their statement of "They somehow deemed the violin as “counterfeit” even though there is no such thing in the violin world” seems to point to that as well. I have encountered very few items valued in the thousands of dollars that someone somewhere hasn't tried to fake. I think the "labelling issues" that the blogger/seller refers to are what most others would call "authenticity issues."

Regardless, even if the seller was 100% in the right and truly taken advantage of by the situation, I really don't think this is a rampant issue or that one blog post and two articles referring to that blog post are evidence of an epidemic. Paypal and eBay alike have plenty of other loopholes that allow crooked buyers to take advantage of sellers (and vice versa) to get bent out of shape over this one instance. I for one won't be closing down my eBay selling over this report any more than I would shut down a brick and mortar store because I found out someone had been shoplifting.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

thanks for the clarification Lance.