NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Default FritschCards.com

Anybody use this place before???....FritschCards.com....Good?...Bad?...Ug ly?
I did a "google" search last night for a 1957 Hollywood Stars George Witt minor league card I'm looking for and got a "hit" on this place. Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance...Also, if anyone has this card, I'm looking to buy one. I have a thread in the B/S/T section, but I'm sure not everyone looks there...Thanks again...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Al Richter

Default Fritsch

Long time sports card dealer. Old school type. I don't think they sell on ebay or deal much in graded cards but have long had a Catalog sales business. I have bought stuff from them in the past with no problems. Their prices tend to be high and they may overestimate the condition of their cards, but they are honest and dependable
Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Jeff

Longtime dealer Larry Fritsch (deceased) now operated by his son. I will echo Al's thoughts; I bought from them for many years but came to realize with a little patience I could buy the same cards for less and in better condition in most instances. I probably never had a larger order from them that I didn't have to return a portion because of overgrading IMO. I will add that it was never a problem making a return as they have a great buyer-friendly no questions asked return policy.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Thanks guys...Yeah, the card I'm looking for is listed in his (his son's) catalog, but not on the website...I have all of the cards in this set except for the George Witt, which I've never been able to locate...He wants $100 for it (which isn't bad if it's in NM condition as claimed)...IDK...maybe I'll just keep looking...
Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Jeff

Dan,
You are going to most likely need a very liberal definition of Near Mint, on the other if you've never seen it and you need it, what's $100?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Dan,
You are going to most likely need a very liberal definition of Near Mint, on the other if you've never seen it and you need it, what's $100?
EXACTLY...I mean, if he's got it and I want it, I gotta pay right???.......IDK....maybe I'll just sell the other cards and find something else to collect...I've got 22 of the 23 cards....And, hey...one of them is "Spook" Jacobs!!!....I know, it's not Mantle but what's a guy to do???...Who wants some 1957 Hollywood stars baseball cards???...
Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Al Richter

Default Spook

I have a Topps 1956 Spook Jacobs Hocus Focus card.

I think you need to finish the set. It would put you in a select circle of elite collectors

You have posted this in post war post 1980. Some guys who collect post war pre 1980 may not wonder in here. You might want to mention you are looking for one in the other forum
Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Fritsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Long time sports card dealer. Old school type. I don't think they sell on ebay or deal much in graded cards but have long had a Catalog sales business. I have bought stuff from them in the past with no problems. Their prices tend to be high and they may overestimate the condition of their cards, but they are honest and dependable
I agree with Al. No problems here either.

Z Wheat
Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
I have a Topps 1956 Spook Jacobs Hocus Focus card.

I think you need to finish the set. It would put you in a select circle of elite collectors

You have posted this in post war post 1980. Some guys who collect post war pre 1980 may not wonder in here. You might want to mention you are looking for one in the other forum
Yeah, I think "Spook" jumped back and forth from the majors/minors a few times. I'm pretty sure he was the same guy who started a huge brawl with Tommy Lasorda in a game "back in the day"...And, yeah...thanks for letting me know I'm in the wrong section...DOH!...Total rookie mistake.......
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I agree with Al. No problems here either.

Z Wheat
Thanks "Zach"...(cool username!)...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Rich Klein

Default Spook

In something not related, the 1956 Topps Spook Jacobs card was the first one Dr. James Beckett ever pulled from a pack back in the day.

Rich
Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Al Richter

Default Spook

Neat factoid Rich. Did he reveal how he chose to develop the card. You actually had no idea what you had when you first pulled it :-)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Yeah, that's interesting info. on Beckett. If I can figure out how to upload a photo to this site, I'll post a pic. of "Spooks" card. He's got a pretty messed up "grill"....probably wishes they'd taken another picture........
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Al Richter

Default Spook

Here is Spook in 55 and 56. The 55 is rare air stuff

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Here is Spook in 55 and 56. The 55 is rare air stuff

I guess he's pretty proud of his "grill"...
So, hey Al...can you tell me how to add a picture to a thread like you've done??? I've done "attachments" to threads on other boards, but never been able to figure out how to show the actual photo in a thread.......
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Al Richter

Default Pictures

I upload pictures that I scan to my computer to photobucket, which is a free service site. Then I edit the pictures on photobucket. Then click on the picture, choose the copy image option, then click the envelope icon above the reply or post box, paste the image in, then post. Other folks may have other methods to suggest
Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
I upload pictures that I scan to my computer to photobucket, which is a free service site. Then I edit the pictures on photobucket. Then click on the picture, choose the copy image option, then click the envelope icon above the reply or post box, paste the image in, then post. Other folks may have other methods to suggest
Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. I attached a couple pics. to this message...not sure if you'll be able to open them up or not...the cards aren't all that nice...they have some corner wear and such...the backs are blank so I didn't take any pics. of those...Thanks again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hollywood stars 001.jpg (77.0 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg hollywood stars 003.jpg (78.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg hollywood stars 004.jpg (79.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Spook

Neat cards... but Spook does have a mouthful
Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Frisch

DP,

Neat cards. What a set of teeth as Al said. For photos go to the Additional Options / Attch Files box below the normal Sumbit Reply box. Select Manag Attachments. It will bring up a separate window here you can browse for photos you want to upload and then select Upload.

You will know if the phot has been uploaded by the file attachment added to your message. Then hit Submit Reply.

Z Wheat
Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
DP,

Neat cards. What a set of teeth as Al said. For photos go to the Additional Options / Attch Files box below the normal Sumbit Reply box. Select Manag Attachments. It will bring up a separate window here you can browse for photos you want to upload and then select Upload.

You will know if the phot has been uploaded by the file attachment added to your message. Then hit Submit Reply.

Z Wheat
Thanks Zach...I think I've got it figured out but, if not I'll probably have to get further clarification. And yeah...the whole set is pretty cool. Probably 50% of the 23 players in the set played MLB at some point in there career either before or after their stint with the Stars...I could list the names of the other players if anybody is interested in knowing who they were. Just let me know...Thanks...

Last edited by D.P.Johnson; 08-19-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Al Richter

Default Set

I would like to know the checklist
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Hey Al, the cards are unnumbered, but here's an alphabetical checklist:

1. Jim Baumer*
2. Carlos Bernier*
3. Bill Causion
4. Chuck Churn*
5. Bennie Daniels*
6. Joe Duhem
7. John Fitzpatrick
8. Bob Garber*
9. Bill Hall*
10. Forrest "Spook" Jacobs*
11. Clyde King
12. Nick Koback*
13. Pete Naton*
14. George O'Donnell
15. Paul Pettit*
16. Curt Raydon*
17. Leo Rodriguez
18. Don Rowe*
19. Dick Smith*
20. R.C. Stevens*
21. Ben Wade*
22. Fred Waters*
23. George Witt*

The names with an asterick next to them played MLB. I think Clyde King was the manager for the team as his player days were over. I don't believe he ever played MLB, but I think he managed the Giants for a few years in the late 60's...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Al Richter

Default Thanks

By the way, got my Fritsch Catalog yesterday. i had forgotten that they purport to charge a 5 % convenience fee if you order by phone of fax.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:

By the way, got my Fritsch Catalog yesterday. i had forgotten that they purport to charge a 5 % convenience fee if you order by phone of fax.
Yeah, I just can't bring myself to buying a card through a catalog sight unseen; regardless if they have a return policy or not...I'm gonna hold off buying the Witt card for now...If I don't complete the set it's not the end of the world...I'll just sell what I have and move on...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Topps Hocus Focus Cards

I believe the Hocus Focus cards were one of the significant sets Topps featured in the History part of their website. I thin they have it listed as containing 19 cards, if I remember correctly.

Personally I would not worry about the price or convenience fee. I am sure Fritsch would work with you. They have seemed pretty proactive in the past. Best of luck either way.

Z Wheat
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Default Fritsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Thanks "Zach"...(cool username!)...

Thanks DP
Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Al Richter

Default wheat

What's cool about wheat...gluten free !
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
They do sell on ebay,
but mostly or maybe only unopened graded packs which happen to be the most authentic you can find anywhere, many believe Fritsch created the
first baseball card mail-order outlet in the country! i know i made many deals with them since the 1970s
here is there info;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-B...item2ec834d146

Last edited by pepis; 08-19-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Al Richter

Default Fritsch

I think they are honest and have a load of unopened stuff that will hit the market someday
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM

I have purchased from Fritsch Cards. The cards I received were properly placed in card savers (a rarity on eBay in my experience) and were in supreme condition. I'll be burying from them again. They do have an eBay store here.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Robert

Default another great seller

Battersbox does the same thing. Great place to find your raws you need for any set building.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Don't understand why long-time/old school dealers like this still cannot grade a card. Can't tell you how many times I've seen this. NM means Near Mint and that means no fuzzy corners, 95/5 centering or a long print line through the player's face.

Get with the modern definition of grading or get out of the business.

Last edited by RobertGT; 09-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.