NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Default Holland Ice Cream

Posted By: jay behrens 

Putting the final touches on my player database I noticed that the Holland Ice Cream set is listed as being issued in 1926, but Ralph Miller only played for the Senators in 1924. Nothing on the back indicates a 1926 date, so how was this date arrived at?

On a side note, this Ralph Miller's only card, so if anyone has one they want to sell me cheap, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hi Jay,
The top of the Holland Ice Cream cards say "World's Champions" which the Senators were in October 1924. In 1925 the Senators lost the Series. So Im with you, the Holland set should be relisted as being from 1925. Frank

Old 05-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Your arguments make sense; we'll make the date change in the Standard Catalog data base, though I'm not sure it will show up in the next book since we're past deadline. It's exchanges like this that make this forum the best of its kind on the Internet.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

Yes, an update is planned, hopefully this weekend.

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 05-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Just for the sake of argument, couldn't this set conceivably have been issued in 1924? Sure, almost all baseball cards over the years have been issued during the baseball season, but I can think of a couple of examples where they were issued at the end or after the season was complete. The later series of cards in the 1933 Goudey set is one example--the players from both World Series teams (Giants and Senators) were issued in the last series, and according to Lew Lipset, at the end of October. Also, the Koester Bread issue from 1921 pictures that years World Series teams, the Yankees and Giants. Perhaps it is possible that these Holland cards were a 'commemorative' set issued shortly after the Senators won in 1924, since it does picture a player who was not with the team in 1924.
Just a theory...but thought I would bring it up for discussion before the set's issue year is set in stone.

Brian

Old 05-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

That last part should read "that the player was not with the team in 1925."

Brian

Old 05-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

I would think one argument for a 1925 vs. 1924 date would be...

Why would a company located in Canada issue a promotion which is redeemed for "a brick of Ice Cream, 3 Holland Banquets, 3 Snowballs, or 5 Holland Delights" sometime between October and December?

Based on this, I would assume it was issued during the following season.

But then again, well, who know...

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm