NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I know this set is not broought up much but I would like to know who out there is collecting the set?

Who has a complete set?

Who has any information on there production?

Any miscut or printer scrap?

Any information would be nice and help,

Lee

Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

A great and unique set, IMO. I only have four cards (Cobb/Moriarty, Speaker/Wood, Matty/Meyers and Tinker/Evers/Chance). I regret not having not collected the whole set earlier but it is not something I'm working on now. I imagine that there are quite a few complete sets out there since T202 is popular, relatively small and available, and filled with stars from the tobacco era.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Jim Harkins

It's been a week since Lee posted this thread and I been waiting for you vintage card collectors to educate us about this interesting set. But nothing but silence. Doesn't anybody collect thest unusual cards? Here's two observations to ponder. Checking old price guides, T202's were much more expensive 25 years ago relative to T206's, than they are today. aprox. 4 to 1 in 1982 for commons vs. 1.5 to 1 today. Is this do to lack of interest in T202s or to the increased interest in T206's? I was collecting T202s in the early 80s and they were much more difficult to find than T206's.
Could some of the lack of interest in T202's be do to the difficulty of grading these cards. I believe they were produced folded, cut to size folded and for the most part collect and stored folded. Most of the ware and discoloration is in the folds.
Hopefully, some of you T202 collectors will chime in on this.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: leon

T202's just don't receive much attention. I think it might have to do with their size. It's a hobby mystery but it seems like smaller T cards are more in demand than larger ones....T201 comes to mind too....

Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Jason L

as well...I just purchased my first T202 and my first T201 this week, and I have to say that I find each one infintely more interesting than the T206s!
...more intricate designs, actual information on the card backs, and still plenty of stars.

I would be very interested to learn more if we have any resident experts on these issues...I am looking to assemble Cubs team checklists for these sets, as well as the T207s! So far, I have the team checklists for the T205, T206, and of course, the T200

Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Steve f

I like 'em, especially the center pane. They're kinda large, fragile and cumbersome. Also, like the T205s, the pictures are more 'cartoonish' -these may be some reasons for the low desirability. I have just two, for the action shots Cobb/Jennings with "Cobb sliding" psa1, and Johnson/Knight with I strongly believe is Honus Wagner psa2. Any other opinions?..

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Rob_L

I am getting close to finishing the T201 set which has always been my favorite. Some of the unusual poses when you fold the cards are awesome Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these cards (along with the T205) are the first that had stats.

Rob L

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Given your familiarity with the T201 set (congrats, by the way!), can you confirm for me how many Cubs (or Chicago-Nat'l) cards are in the set?
My cursory glance only turned up 3...can that be right?
Brown/Hofman, Evers/Chance, and Kling/Cole

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Rob L

Jason,

You would be correct. Only the 3 Cubs cards (6 players).

Rob L

Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

in your travels with this set, any interesting oddities, stories, or things learned along the way? it's a neat issue.

and that is excellent news! - I only need the Evers/Chance to to complete the Cubs team set!!! sweet.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Rob L

I haven't found alot of unusual things about this set. I guess the miscuts are always interesting. I just picked up this Baker/Downey card for my collection only because it is a common card and the miscut is great.

It is commonly thought the Lord/Dougherty card is a short print and the toughest card of the set but I did not find that to be the case. I actually had a harder time tracking down the Lajoie/Falkenberg card.

I'm always amused by the looks of the players faces. Some of them are a very reasonable rendition of the player while others look nothing like the player. The Cobb would have been okay had the nose been done correctly and he had a fielders mitt on. Evers and Chance look like kids.

Still a great set.

Rob L

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: jay behrens

Dougherty/Lord isn't terribly tough, but I didn't see it as often as most cards from the set. I had 3 complete sets of t201s at one time. Lajoie/Flakenberg was always a very easy card for me. I loved that card cuz the folderover was Falkenberg sitting and it looks really odd.

I cheated putting together my first set and bought it complete in Ex-NM for $225 in March of 1982 Willow Grove show along with some other neat stuff like some high grade 34 Canadian Goudeys of Dizzy Dean and Leo Durocher and a nice n162 Caruthers for a whole $5

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: J Levine

Geno Wagner, a regular board poster and all around great guy, is actively collecting t202s and nearly done. In fact he is doing a master set with all three back variations and has a lot of interesting information concerning distribution of the cards and backs. I think the reason he has not posted yet is that he is in the process of moving back to the States from Great Britain (he is some kind of super pilot in the Air Force).

Joshua

Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Geno

Joshua --

Nope, I'm still here - my household goods don't get picked up for another couple of weeks! Somehow, I just missed this post along the way. Actually, the original poster, Lee, is the expert - I just hang out on the periphery. I completed the T205 basic set, which is an awesome set in my opinion, but then fell in love with those center panels on the T202s. I'd love to get a master set of all three backs, however, I no longer think that they exist for every card. Of course, that makes it hard to know what a master set actually is!

I wish I could find a few baseball stragglers on this side of the Atlantic, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen before I get posted back home. That's OK, I'm just looking forward to getting back and watching baseball. I miss stadium mustard after three years abroad...

Take Care, Geno

Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Jason

picked it up this week...I have no idea why these aren't more popular...they have SO much more to offer than T206s: 3 images, action photo, b&w as well as color photos, and a ton of info on the reverse...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Anonymous

I forgot to post on this thread as well. I also collect T-202s very actively. Lee has done a significant amount of work compiling information about the various backs out there. And as noted above, Geno* is even attempting to assemble set(s) that involve the various backs. I have always been far more interested in the fronts than the backs of T202s (and just about every other set)

I believe that an article that Lee worked on with the Old Cardboard editors (which I helped a bit on) provides a more information about the set.

One of the things I have always been intrigued by is that while the side panels on the T202s are almost entirely confined to subjects** in the T205 set issued the year before, the center photos include great players like Lajoie and Crawford who were not included in the T205 set and consequently are not on any T202 panels. There are no center photos of Honus Wagner or Eddie Plank though. I vaguely recall that one or both of them are in fact mentioned in the text on the back of one of the photos (have to check on that).

It is also interesting that in the case of T205 subjects like Bresnahan, Wallace and Eddie Collins, who all have two very different T205 portraits, both T205 portraits appear on side panels in the T202s. Also there appears to have been some thinking behind the various pairs of panels. For instance, many combos are pitchers along with their catchers. This is why Chief Meyers, the Giants Catcher is the most frequent "panelist." He appears with Matty as well Marquard and some other Giants catchers. A vast majority of the panel combinations are teammates. Some of the other panel combos that are not teammates suggest some knowledge of earlier baseball history such as McGraw/Bresnahan and McGraw/Jennings. That may be it.

I'm sort of "winging it" since I don't have a checklist in front of me. If there are any mistakes or omissions I apologize.
------------------
Notes:
* Geno: I sent out your card a few days ago -- I have no idea how long it takes to get you wherever you are.

An exception is Smokey Joe Wood who is not in the T205 set. On the other hand none of the minor league players or the (then) recently departed Addie Joss are in the T202 set. There are other exceptions but these are the most prominent.

These are two of my favorite combinations and center photos:

Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Nice to see some replies finally, I don't know how it got divererted to T201's but it seems back on track.

Old Cardboard #7 has the article I helped Lyman with. If there are people out there that have questions fell free to ask. I certainly have questions yet that I can not find answers to and was hoping to find anyone that could expand on the set.

Does anyone know where you can find information on hassan or even the factories where these cards were printed?

The cards had to have been cut when they were folded, would like to know why this was. They were also folded in the box, I think this was so they could fit in the box. A curiousity is that I have some cards with fold lines in the middle (they are not creases, which are common).

Lee

Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Jim Harkins

Check out the article about T202s in the latest (May 18th) SCD.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

For those that are interested, here's the three different back variations. This is the only card that I have all three of, and unfortunately, the Black 30 is in sad shape. They are in order of scarcity (649, Red 30, and Black 30). As Lee said, I'd love to know where these were made and anything about the sheets they came on. I have never seen a miscut card to give any clues...

Take Care, Geno

Old 05-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Jeff

I too am collecting this AMAZING set. I have always thought it was simply one of the coolest prewar sets. There's more to see, more to read, color, black/while...a classic.
I'll also add that when I show these t202s my friends who don't collect, they too always find these cards to be their favorites.

I don't have a ton of special knowledge to offer, but wanted to add another person to the list of those who love the t202s.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Anonymous

While I am putting a type set together, caramel and tobacco sized cards first, i havent even bothered looking seriously at T201 or T202. Their size turns me off as well as not really fitting the typical card format of the time. Some may actually prefer them for those reasons, just a personal preference. But obviously im not the only one as these sets arent talked about or collected with the tenacity as other sets from the same time period.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

in your listing...is it the 649 or the Black 30?

Dylan, agreed, I have to say, I don't care much for the giant PSA slab that my first one is in...are there pages made for these?

Lee, thanks for your info...I will need to get ahold of the VCBC article. I have to say, since I have started collecting vintage era cards, these T202s have proven to be the most rewarding discovery thus far. They make the T206 seem downright boring!

edited to say that the backs are the real hook for me...the action photo on the front is cool, but I find the descriptive period-style writing on the reverse to be alot of fun...adds some life to the players and the game of the time...

Old 05-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Dylan

I do like the T202's more then T201's for sure. The backs have interesting info, and i enjoy some of the photos in the middle. I dont know, but doubt if there are insert pages specifically made for these cards, that'd be a nice idea, but i doubt there's enough demand. Look how long it took for those small mylar plastics to come out for all the various prewar sets(including t206!) they can be used for!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

I would like to add that the toughest common is NOt the Birmingham Home Run as indicated on most checklists. There seems to be 8 commons tha are definately tougher. The Matty/Devlin variations are the toughest overall but I believe the Rustler versions are tougher than the Giant versions, contrary to price guide writings and pop reports, I also have owned more Giant versions at reasonable prices.

I enjoying reading the backs every know and then, They seem to give a grasp of the feel for baseball at that time.

Lee

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Thanks for sharing

Old 05-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: John S

Lee,

A great set without a doubt. Although I have no preference for slabbed cards, I have encased my T202's in SGC holders as the black background really sets off the center panel and the SGC holders are better storage options than some of the top-loaders.

My favorite:

My cheapest, <$50 recently (its trimmed and beat but great images of Matty, Meyers, & Mac)

Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Jason --

The 649s are by far the easiest to find, with the Black 30s being very tough.

Take Care, Geno

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

You will find that most of the HOFers are cheaper in this set then most sets. My favorites are the 2 Wood/Speaker, Tinker/Evers/Chance & the Cobb/Jennings w/Cobb Sliding center panel.

A curiousity of the T202 set is the inclusion of Joe Wood & Walt Blair. Wood was a star of his time, but Blair, the guy did not do much in his career.

This is one of the few variations I have found in the set, the Evers here is a turquoise, it is suppose to be green.

Lee

Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Although just a common in the set, I like cards like this one. The center photo is Harry Davis and Wahoo Sam Crawford, two big stars of the day, that for some reason didn't make it into the T205 or T202 set as singles. At least we still get to see them in action!

Take Care, Geno

Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Steve, I don't think it could be Wagner because I am almost positive they never played each other.

Lee

Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Steve f

Lee,

Yeah, It's just wishful thinkin'. These teams they never met in a Series 'til much later. The Senators were dreadful forever it seems.

Incidentally, Knight is dressed in NY Highlanders garb -traded to Wash in 1912. Again, these teams hadn't met but that other fellow's uni sure looks 'Pirate'.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Brian

Not too long ago I posted a similar thread on T202 - made a mistake though and posted in the BST section. Anyway, I picked up a Tinker/Evers/Chance a few years back and immediately fell in love with the set. Recently decided to try putting a set together - hopefully psa 5 and above. Anyone have some dups their looking to trade or sell?

Old 05-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: mr. moses

Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

I thought that collectors of T202s might be interested in this poster advertising the T202 set. Curiously Plank is pictured and not even in the set.

I believe Lyman with Old Cardboard has them for sale.

Lee

Old 06-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Default T202 Collectors

Posted By: Dylan

Ya know its really a shame they actually didnt produce a card like the one advertised in the poster with Cobb on one side and Matty on the other with the "Ty sliding into third" middle piece. That would of been one helluva baseball card!