NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Ne@l K

Default Deans cards and some eBay pet peeves

After coming back into the hobby after a few years away, I realized that the new pricing method is to divide Deans BIN by two ....

Also, what happened to scanners? I get the cell phone thing, but rarely is there a pic taken of the card at a proper angle.

Are all the good Mantles, Mays, Aarons, etc being hoarded, or are they just being auctioned off through PWCC?

carry on

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Al Richter

Default Hobby

Well it was you who decided to come back. Grin and bear it
Old 04-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Richard L.

I vote to divide by 3
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
After coming back into the hobby after a few years away, I realized that the new pricing method is to divide Deans BIN by two ....

Also, what happened to scanners? I get the cell phone thing, but rarely is there a pic taken of the card at a proper angle.

Are all the good Mantles, Mays, Aarons, etc being hoarded, or are they just being auctioned off through PWCC?

carry on
1) Some of Dean's cards are listed cheaper through COMC. And there are some cases where he has PSA 7s priced less than his raw NM cards... ? I actually bought a Rollie Fingers autographed rookie card from him on COMC.

2) Don't get people started on scanners. ;-) Sometimes the settings can overexpose the card, washing out wrinkles and creases or spots. I use a 16 MPIX camera myself.

3) PWCC and Probstein get so many because their prices realized are strong, and they have deals with eBay to keep less of the take than eBay's normal 10%+3% paypal, and pass those savings to the consignors.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Divide Dean only by two?? Yowza. If you divide his dumbass pricing by 10, you're still going to pay double what a normal human being would charge.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Sam Lemoine

I actually bought a lot from Deans a couple months ago. The cards were accurately graded and cheaper than the competition. It happens.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Well it was you who decided to come back. Grin and bear it
Having a blast Al!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Al Richter

Default Back

Great , Neal
Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Pretty scintillating dialogue between Neal and Al, keep it coming.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Al Richter

heh
Old 04-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Tony Conte

Its tough finding nice cards at nice prices these days. Spaeth bought
all the good stuff months ago.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Its tough finding nice cards at nice prices these days. Spaeth bought
all the good stuff months ago.
Not tough at all unless you are chasing the same early Mantles that everyone else is.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Ryan Waggoner

You want an eBay pet peeve?

Sellers listing cards as REPRINT under their title, but under year they have 1962.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
You want an eBay pet peeve?

Sellers listing cards as REPRINT under their title, but under year they have 1962.
I see nothing wrong with that. That is what the card represents. Sorry, but on some cards, no way to tell what year they reprint was manufactured. At least they are honest enough to say reprint!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Ryan Waggoner

It's an issue with me because the card isn't from 1962 and by listing it under that date it means that it gets listed with all the real 1962 Topps cards. Like I said, it's a pet peeve.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Tom Boblitt

Put -reprint in your search and it will exclude all the items with reprint in the title.......
Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Thanks, I'm aware of that and since I found out about it I've been doing so, but it's still a pet peeve.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome back, Neal.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Larry More.y

My ebay pet peeve is when an ebayer has buyer's remorse and the ease in which this .001 of ebayers operate.....added one tool to my BBL a few years back for this and sure enough, he used his other/another ebay ID to circumvent the block and buy more so he could then.....guess what....ask to return some more cards. I do not comprehend the fact that if you disagree with a seller's subjective grading enough to return a card, why you would continue to purchase from that seller.

Over the years, I have had so very few returns of this nature (actually much less than 0.001%, however, two in the past week) that it is probably not worth the time I took to type this, but it is still a peeve none the less. In almost every case I have had a buyer's remorse situation occur, a quick google search of the buyer's ebay ID reveals a chronic habit of this discussed in a series of chat room rants.

In both cases this week these tools opened NAD cases, but because these they either offered no tangible reason for the return, or offered a reason/flaw that was clearly depicted/described in the listing, ebay agreed with my assertion of buyer's remorse and both slime balls are returning their purchases on their dime, not mine.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:52 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Put -reprint in your search and it will exclude all the items with reprint in the title.......

This was a game changer for me...I HATE all the reprint listings along side the real deal. Drove me nuts...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-19-2016, 05:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

I've said it before, Global shipping is a ripoff and I dislike the "May ship to Canada" listing only to find out they don't.

Just had a seller cancel a transaction I won and paid for after she posted the shipping fee I asked for.

In her reply, after she provided the shipping cost and I made payment, she said they don't ship to Canada??

All toll, it was a $9.00 card including shipping, but it was graded and a card I liked.

I asked her why the change/cancellation after the fact but she has not gotten back to me.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I've said it before, Global shipping is a ripoff and I dislike the "May ship to Canada" listing only to find out they don't.

Just had a seller cancel a transaction I won and paid for after she posted the shipping fee I asked for.

In her reply, after she provided the shipping cost and I made payment, she said they don't ship to Canada??

All toll, it was a $9.00 card including shipping, but it was graded and a card I liked.

I asked her why the change/cancellation after the fact but she has not gotten back to me.
Irv,
You should get a COMC account and have cards sent to your COMC mailbox in the US. They will then mail them to you from their Canadian warehouse... look it up at www.comc.com
Old 04-19-2016, 06:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Irv,
You should get a COMC account and have cards sent to your COMC mailbox in the US. They will then mail them to you from their Canadian warehouse... look it up at www.comc.com
Thanks Swarmee, I will be sure to check them out.

I appreciate the info!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Robert Williams

Exactly...Ebay makes it so difficult for sellers to ship to Canada. All it takes is to get ripped off a couple of times via the "I didn't get my item" bullcrap to make sellers stop shipping there. Anything to make it easier for Canadian's to get their cards, I am all for.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Exactly...Ebay makes it so difficult for sellers to ship to Canada. All it takes is to get ripped off a couple of times via the "I didn't get my item" bullcrap to make sellers stop shipping there. Anything to make it easier for Canadian's to get their cards, I am all for.
All my cards to date have been purchased state side and I have yet to have a problem paying far less than what Global charges.

Not saying problems don't exist where people claim they didn't get their card, but I bet the same problems exist state side as well.

Just received this again from my transaction yesterday. Shipping went from $3 to $9.50 all of a sudden with some B.S. mubble jumble I can't understand? Needless to say, this transaction will be cancelled, again, as I think the seller has issues.

"we have a block on out of us buyers by ebay but it hasn't worked plus we didn't look at your address just assumed you were us buyer sorry if you want the card shipping as per usps is $9.50 to Canada"
Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Scott Russell

Don't understand what the big deal is shipping to Canada. I charge $6 for a single card (taking a small loss same as I do on my US shipping of $2.50), don't use global shipping, and have never had a problem or complaint.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-18-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I can't escape the never ending listing in my followed searches ! It's a waste of my eyes sight . Everything that is listed from deans cards is way overpriced . It seems even more then usual . It's like he wants to pay for a over priced card plus his eBay fees plus extremely high shipping . Rant over
Old 08-31-2016, 05:54 PM
j.oe b.

Never looked, but are his buy prices that high ?

I was checking out a card that everybody else has listed for $12.99, $15, $17.99. He has the same card listed in a grade lower at $75 BIN. What a deal.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I actually bought a lot from Deans a couple months ago. The cards were accurately graded and cheaper than the competition. It happens.

Thanks Dean.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

He's went on a listing tear, so now no matter what you search for, a hundred of his dumbass, 1000 times the price of what any normal human being would pay for a card, show up on top. Just do what I do. Add "-dean" to all of your searches (except for the ones looking for Dean Chance cards ) and this blight will be stricken from your life. Good riddance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Deans

How do Dean and Levi stay in business ? Are they crazy ? Why do they not lower their prices to what we want to pay ? Don't they read all these threads here, on CU and elswhere and know how stupid they are ?

I always wonder about those cold sales calls I get at home. They keep coming. Does someone actually buy stuff from them ?
Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:

Yes, this!

I live in Japan and its way worse over here, the vast majority of (card) sellers either don`t ship at all to Japan or charge like 30$-$40 just to ship a single card.

I don`t necessarily blame the sellers, USPS rates are out of their control and some might just feel more comfortable dealing with domestic buyers. But it is frustrating when I see a card I want but can`t have.....
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Yes, this!

I live in Japan and its way worse over here, the vast majority of (card) sellers either don`t ship at all to Japan or charge like 30$-$40 just to ship a single card.

I don`t necessarily blame the sellers, USPS rates are out of their control and some might just feel more comfortable dealing with domestic buyers. But it is frustrating when I see a card I want but can`t have.....
That's a crazy price but I have seen $51 dollars just to ship one low dollar card here before!

I was looking at it on E-Bay (not logged in) and thought it would be a great card to purchase and noticed shipping was only $3.00 dollars. I logged in and the shipping went up to $51!!

I mentioned this in another thread but got no feedback. Long story short, when searching for particular cards or years of cards (52 Topps) in E-Bay, do you have to specifically type in exactly what you want to see?

I received an e-mail the other day from "invest in baseball" and noticed the cards were listed on E-Bay so I threw some early bids in on them via the e-mail.
I knew the first cards were ending last night beginning at 8:20 but when I entered through Leon's "post war" link at the top left, those cards were not there despite there only being about 10-15 minutes left?

I typed in 1952 topps in the E-Bay heading and there they were, ready to run out of time?

My question is, are there different auctions going on at E-Bay, (even though 52 Topps cards are post war) that can be ending around the same time? It surprised me these cards didn't show up even though other post war cards that I could see were ending around the same time?

If I never typed in what I did, I would have sworn the cards were removed or the auction stopped for some reason?

Last edited by irv; 08-31-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Thanks Dean.
I can't stop laughing
Old 09-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Yes, this!

Sorry friend but its such a pain in the rear to ship outside the US. Thats just how it is which makes me a US seller only for sportscards. Do you have a friend in the US? I see lots of people get stuff mailed to friends and once they accumulate the friend throws it in one big package and off it goes. Wish you the best.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
Sorry friend but its such a pain in the rear to ship outside the US. Thats just how it is which makes me a US seller only for sportscards. Do you have a friend in the US? I see lots of people get stuff mailed to friends and once they accumulate the friend throws it in one big package and off it goes. Wish you the best.
+1
Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Not disputing your claim, just don't understand how it is such a PIA?

90% of the cards I have purchased (30+) have come from the U.S. and I haven't had a problem yet with shipping or receiving my cards.

My only gripe, which has nothing to do with U.S. sellers, is usually the price it costs to ship up here and sometimes getting stung for duty.

Global shipping is by far the worst and I won't even look at sellers cards if they use Global.

Just curious why, for some, they have no problem shipping up here, but for others, such as yourself, they find it a pain or a hassle?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Not disputing your claim, just don't understand how it is such a PIA?

90% of the cards I have purchased (30+) have come from the U.S. and I haven't had a problem yet with shipping or receiving my cards.

My only gripe, which has nothing to do with U.S. sellers, is usually the price it costs to ship up here and sometimes getting stung for duty.

Global shipping is by far the worst and I won't even look at sellers cards if they use Global.

Just curious why, for some, they have no problem shipping up here, but for others, such as yourself, they find it a pain or a hassle?
I have not shipped to Canada for around a year so don't know if it has changed. Normal $2.62 shipping in a bubble mailer shipped in the US gets free tracking. Same thing shipped to Canada does not. Also we have to fill out that damn customs form. Not really a big deal to fill out except when there is a long line. So no tracking and extra paperwork for the same price.

Is there any differance from shipping inside Canada to shipping from Canada to US?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have not shipped to Canada for around a year so don't know if it has changed. Normal $2.62 shipping in a bubble mailer shipped in the US gets free tracking. Same thing shipped to Canada does not. Also we have to fill out that damn customs form. Not really a big deal to fill out except when there is a long line. So no tracking and extra paperwork for the same price.

Is there any differance from shipping inside Canada to shipping from Canada to US?
I have only heard about that Customs Form but know nothing about it?

I have sent only a couple cards south and it wasn't a requirement to fill out anything like that, (unless the girl behind the counter did on my behalf?) and it has been real cheap, even with the current exchange rate.

Are you guys required to go to some place different, other than the Post Office, to fill out a Customs form? I too would find that a PIA if that was the case?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I have only heard about that Customs Form but know nothing about it?

I have sent only a couple cards south and it wasn't a requirement to fill out anything like that, (unless the girl behind the counter did on my behalf?) and it has been real cheap, even with the current exchange rate.

Are you guys required to go to some place different, other than the Post Office, to fill out a Customs form? I too would find that a PIA if that was the case?
No the custom form is filled out at the Post Office. It is the little extra form attached to the package. The thing that says what is inside the package and the value.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Canada shipping.

Yes, a touch more expensive to ship from Canada to the U.S. as opposed to inside Canada. (like 25 cents more).

A pwe from the U.S. to Canada costs $1.25, say 3 cards in the envelope with thin cardboard protecting them .......so this $9.50 shipping, or worse Global eBay shipping ($16 or whatever it is) is just a complete ripoff. Gouging at its best. And tracking STOPS at the border, ....I have followed tracking from Florida to several other spots in the U.S., and it tells me the package was last checked in at wherever airport in the U.S. Then I check my mailbox and it is sitting there....go figure.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 09-01-2016, 07:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
No the custom form is filled out at the Post Office. It is the little extra form attached to the package. The thing that says what is inside the package and the value.
I see it now looking at a couple bubble envelopes. The customs info is typed on the white customs sticker.

Like I said, unless the girl did it behind the counter, (which is a possibility) I didn't have to fill out anything other than tell the girl where the package was being shipped too.

I know a recent transaction with a member on here cost me less than half what it cost him, but his envelope did weight slightly more.

The price of things up here compared to things south are usually quite a bit more so it surprises me something like this is cheaper for us.

To mail cards in a padded envelope up here is $2-$3 dollars at most but IIRC, I think it was only $3-$4 to send one state side?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Paul

If you ship from USA to Canada, put the cards in a bubble wrap mailer(with cardboard attached on both sides of the card to protect it inside the mailer), fill out the deceleration form and put (printed matter)

Putting the card in a box, is way more expensive...
Old 09-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
I`m kind of curious in what way is it a pain in the ass? Do buyers from some countries cause trouble? Or is it just a pain to calculate the different shipping or deal with the Ebay program? Or does the USPS give you trouble?

There are a few Ebay dealers who will ship to Japan at a reasonable price and I am happy to give them all my business, but sometimes I`ll see a card they don`t have which I want from another seller and that "US shipping only" barrier is just a pet peeve of mine (to each his own, I`m not criticizing sellers who do that for their own reasons, but from my point of view it is a pet peeve).

I also think its kind of self-defeating for the seller since they are basically passing up what would otherwise be a sometimes quite significant sale every time that happens.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 09-01-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

COMC has a mailbox service that will collect your deliveries in the US and then package them all up and mail in one box overseas. Worth looking in to, and also has 12 Million cards for sale (12,000 are mine).