NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Richard Simon

Here is an old SCD ad with an Eddie Collins that was a Johnny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collins-johnny.jpg (66.8 KB, 292 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
The crap that the few of us have had to endure...
You didn't seriously say that, did you, Chris?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 11-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Barry Sloate

David- I meant for you and Richard to stop arguing over your academic career, and to get back onto the topic of forgeries.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks exactly like the type of stuff Robert Prouty used to sell.

Very convincing, and priced just enough below "market", that it enticed collectors to take the required leap of faith. I wonder how many are sitting on these pieces, still believing they're real?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
You didn't seriously say that, did you, Chris?
YES, I did write that, David.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM

I know you wrote it. But were you seriously playing the martyr?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Let's assume that all three balls you have posted, Richard, are forgeries. The Gehrig is nothing at all like the other two; why do you believe that all three are the work of the same person?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
And last but not least, we know that David defends questionable pieces using the same tired words that all the bad sellers do,,, and I am not accusing him of being a bad seller, but he is using their script.
WTF are you talking about, Richard?

You tell me you and two other board members believe my ball is a fake. You tell me you "know" who made it, but won't provide a name. I point out that another (very respected by the industry; more so than yourself, I daresay) person has vetted the ball, and I, too, believe in it. (I do have a little experience, myself.)

So, without any other evidence, such as provenance, all we have here are conflicting opinions. (And not Chris Morales's opinion, but opinions of respected people in the field.)

So what tired words am I using? What script have I cleaved to? Or should I have just taken your opinion as gospel?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 11-01-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I know you wrote it. But were you seriously playing the martyr?
Did you seriously write that, David?

I wrote that comment because of your disparaging comment directed at Richard when you wrote "And I commend you for your work in those two cases. But how come no one's asked for your help in the last decade?" I found that comment very insulting and I took that comment personally even though it was directed at Richard. I have never patted myself on the back. And a lot of what goes on behind the scenes is never publicized.

David, maybe you can post a link to your website where you battle the sellers of forgeries, or better yet, post a link to your latest YouTube video.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 11-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Battle? On YouTube?

Try not to get hurt.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Would you please post a link to your site, Chris? And to some of your YouTube videos? I (and I'm sure many here) would really like to see some of your work.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Christopher Williams

And once again I will state that it's too bad that this has turned into a "pissing match."

But for those of you who haven't read this entire thread, David started it with the below comment that can be found on Page 1.

There's a new thread, Richard. Just for you. Now, will you let us all in on your big secret?

Why did you write that, David? The original thread was dead and buried. Anything between you and Richard was not known by anyone else? I just don't get it.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 11-01-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Would you please post a link to your site, Chris? And to some of your YouTube videos? I (and I'm sure many here) would really like to see some of your work.
Sure, David. Here is a link to one of my 190+ YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bgm5TJkGpU
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Christopher Williams

David, maybe I can get your opinion on the below two set of autographs:

GT-1.jpg

GT-2.jpg

GT-3.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 11-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Scott

I'm not David, but can I play Chris? They all look like the same hand, and the Ruth isn't even close anyways.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I'm not David, but can I play Chris? They all look like the same hand, and the Ruth isn't even close anyways.
Scott, has been a great supporter of my videos since the beginning. And for that, I "thank you," Scott.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Barry Sloate

Chris- I've seen quite a few of your videos too, but never made the connection that you and the guy in the video are the same person. Let me say I am very happy you do what you do, and I imagine over the years it has gotten you into plenty of hassles. It's not always easy to tell the truth.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Scott

Still, so many forgeries out there, tho Chris, Richard and others have gotten lots of crap pulled off the Bay and such, by what people post here, and his videos too.

Even JSA and PSA aren't infallible as we have seen on other threads, but their OPINIONS seem the most valued, far as TPA's go at least. I think Richard, David, Keating, Corcoran, etc add a lot to the hobby in their ways, without being big whigs.

In the end, I guess EDUCATION and avoiding OBVIOUS poor authenticators, etc is the best chance for vintage sigs.

W all the good, its too bad there is fighting now on here, that may have all been avoidable w a couple messages, rather than air it out here.

JMO

Scott Roberts
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Sure, David. Here is a link to one of my 190+ YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bgm5TJkGpU
I, for one, love Chris's videos. As a matter of fact, just recently, I asked him to continue doing them and he replied kindly with a response. This thread is a total TRAINWRECK!!

Last edited by gnaz01; 11-01-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I, for one, love Chris's videos. As a matter of fact, just recently, I asked him to continue doing them and he replied kindly with a response. This thread is a total TRAINWRECK!!
Barry, Scott and Greg, thank you very much.

I will only be doing one more YouTube video. It will be be a special one-time video that will be completed sometime in the near future. I want to thank you guys for asking.

Anyone who has watched my videos knows that I have never promoted myself in any of the videos. For those of you that don't know, I started doing my videos after years and years of writing about forgeries. I thought it was time to elevate from writing to video. I was getting so sick and tired of the sellers of forgeries that it was time to stand up to them and the support I received was most more than I expected. And for that, I "thank" everyone. Today it is a little over three years that I did my first YouTube video. Three years!!! Holy cow!!!

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 11-01-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i post stupid things on my youtube...chris is putting vids out there informing the public of all the forgeries. you can tell he's really passionate about it in the vids. like others i also appreciate his effort.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Scott

One thing w the Yankees team ball, which I got from really studying, and proving its a forgery, is the "B" in Bob Meusel and Benny Bengough. THEY R THE SAME..
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Ok David, post photos of your ball and we'll put it to the test.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
One thing w the Yankees team ball, which I got from really studying, and proving its a forgery, is the "B" in Bob Meusel and Benny Bengough. THEY R THE SAME..
Well done, Scott. That's why I posted those two photos.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Graig Kreindler

With all of the examinations of Ruth signatures and all, it got me wondering: when did he stop using the quotation marks around his name? I never even noticed that he had done so before. It's interesting to think that at some point, it was still just a nickname. And of course, now, it's almost as if it's his given name!

...granted, I know nothing about autographs (or anything else, for that matter)

Graig
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Scott S

Graig, I think it's assumed he used the quotes around Babe up until around 1927 or so, and then after that he didn't use the quotes.

I'm sure others may know more than I do, but I believe that's the case!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Well done, Scott. That's why I posted those two photos.
It also matches the "B" in Babe (sans the little "flip" to begin the B in Babe).

Last edited by canjond; 11-02-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Graig, I think it's assumed he used the quotes around Babe up until around 1927 or so, and then after that he didn't use the quotes.

I'm sure others may know more than I do, but I believe that's the case!
Here is a 1927 photo, with quotes, it is believed that he stopped using quotes in 1927.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth-pic-1927-lelands.jpg (57.0 KB, 246 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Graig Kreindler

VERY cool. Thanks for the response, guys.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Default Been there

I for one have experienced the backlash with "outing" a forger. Without getting into too many specifics, I posted on here a short narrative w/ examples of what I believed to be forged items on ebay which were believed to be attached to a long time "questionable" autograph seller. To make a very long story short, I was, in short order subjected to a prolonged email, internet, and phone attack that stretched to unbelievable depths. My young children and my wife were also viciously attacked verbally. I have family both in law enforcement and the legal community, but it still took quite a bit of time and aggravation to ease the abuse. I do not know Mr Simon personally, but when I contacted him for help, while he was unable to provide any, he listened to my story, made suggestions, and checked back with me at a later time. I also have contacted him privately with requests for advice, have purchased a couple of items from him, and have always been met with nothing but professionalism and courtesy. To attack a man who seems so passionate about helping others in the hobby is both childish and idiotic.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
I for one have experienced the backlash with "outing" a forger. Without getting into too many specifics, I posted on here a short narrative w/ examples of what I believed to be forged items on ebay which were believed to be attached to a long time "questionable" autograph seller. To make a very long story short, I was, in short order subjected to a prolonged email, internet, and phone attack that stretched to unbelievable depths. My young children and my wife were also viciously attacked verbally. I have family both in law enforcement and the legal community, but it still took quite a bit of time and aggravation to ease the abuse. I do not know Mr Simon personally, but when I contacted him for help, while he was unable to provide any, he listened to my story, made suggestions, and checked back with me at a later time. I also have contacted him privately with requests for advice, have purchased a couple of items from him, and have always been met with nothing but professionalism and courtesy. To attack a man who seems so passionate about helping others in the hobby is both childish and idiotic.
To be fair... there has been verbal attacking from both sides as I read through the thread. And just as I thought everyone had slept on it, they continued the next morning and it was not from the other party. I have never met either of these guys but have read countless posts by both. Each seem more knowledgeable that the "average Joe" and both also seem to know it … and make sure we all know it. Which, I really can't blame them for that I guess. Your story is a good one and Richard should be commended. But to be fair, I asked David for help via message(opinion on ironically a mantle signature) and below was his replay earlier this year. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hi, Ben. You've certainly got some beautiful photos!
Thant Mantle looks good to me. (Great price for the seller, too!)
Best,
David “
---------------------------------------------------------------------

This doesn't seem like a man wallowing in his “own self doubt, sadness and bitterness” to me. He didn't need to respond. For what it is worth, I bought the item and it passed psa.

This bickering back and forth does nothing for either side nor the greater good of the hobby. Anyone can look for shortcomings in others(we all have them), tear them down and improve their position. It is the weakest form of advancement in my opinion. Most of us have done it at least once in our lives. I believe most would agree it rarely works long term. Hell, I have done it more than once and I can tell you it doesn’t.
I think that most everyone would also agree that both of these guys are passionate about the hobby and would help the “ Average Joe”. So let’s all just get along and focus on strengthening the hobby. Let’s think happy thoughts fellas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4fWA1b5Trs

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.