NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
A Few Wagners
Al,
Your Honus Wagner pinbacks are terrific. I especially like the Wagner Day committee pinback. Wow!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Al,
Your Honus Wagner pinbacks are terrific. I especially like the Wagner Day committee pinback. Wow!
I completely concur with Scott. Your pin and photo collections are absolutely top-shelf, Al.

Happy New Years Guys!

P.S. Hey Al... are you taking good care of my Gehrig photo?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Al

Default pins

Jimmy, Scott, Guys Thankyou much for the kind praise! I try as I just had a nice talk with Mike H. to let other people put up pics of thier collections. I really enjoy seeing what others like to collect in the way of pins. I could post all day but thats not what I want to do. I really enjoyed the 1924 picture that Stone193 posted Thats the kind of stuff I love.

Jimmy my friend Your collection is one of the best I have ever seen your photos are the best. And yes (YOUR) Gehrig burke photo is resting comfortably in my collection with your name on it! I love every thread you start when it comes to memorabilia even the beatles! Happy holidays my friend!

Im going to try and scan some items that might not be worth a ton but just to show some items that other pin collectors can keep an eye out for.
Keep posting!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Al

Default not a pin

Jimmy,
Just for you!! Sorry Mike just a little Hi Jack! for Jimmy.

Back to the pins!!!!!!!!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Al

Default pins

Here are a few I like to say keep the juices flowing.
1 a blue edged 1 1/4 white sox crossed bats
2 a very hard to find Yankees old Timers Day Crossed bats
3 a 1/14 cleveland indians crossed bats (just a little find of these over the last year or so)
4 a 1 1/4 Detroit Tigers pin with the ball on the bottom of the crossed bats
5Mike Kendall this one is for you so you can keep looking a 3 1/4 red edged crossed bats dodgers pin.
6 and you know that the sickness has really hit you when you consider this a crossed bats pirates pin.
I cant give all my secrets guys but this will keep you looking!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Mike Rothstein

I found this scan in my file - just to add to the crossed bats:

Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Babe Ruth Esso Boy's Club Pin

I know everyone is familiar with this pin - I picked them up cheap due to condition and - I believe - fear they're not real?

Here's a few:

Two "key" features are telltale for spotting the fake:

1. The threads of the ball - on the real pin - touch the 'oval' Esso (dealer stations).

2. The Font on the "R" in Ruth is different in the real vs. the reprint pin.

I don't have a fake - took this off of ebay - I wouldn't mind having a fake one but right now all of them are going for good money - and one of them is from a good seller - so - either the info I have is bad or they fool a lot of people?

Comparison of the real vs the fake with respect to the "R" font.

Real:

Fake:

Here's a cool pic of the Babe which was part of the promotion:

I picked up this companion piece - a stack of application forms:

Old 01-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone193 View Post
I know everyone is familiar with this pin - I picked them up cheap due to condition and - I believe - fear they're not real?
You might want to check out the information at keymancollectibles.

http://keymancollectibles.com/pinsbu...uthessopin.htm
Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Mike Kendall

Al,
Thanks for the crossed bats pins photos. I will be looking for the red border Dodger large pin among others. The Detroit pin with the bats and ball upside down has got to be a very scarce misprint. There is a 1.75 inch Detroit crossed bats spelled "Detriot" that Muchinsky shows in his book. This is why collecting this group of pins is so much fun for me. Just when you think you have a checklist of all the pins, someone shows you one you never knew existed.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Al

Default pins

Here is a crossed bats that is very hard , I took this scan from my good friend Andy! The pin is around but the ribbon isnt!
Mike no problem at all. You were kind enough to post yours (and I was glad to see them) this is why I love the pinback posts new items that you never see!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Mike Rothstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
You might want to check out the information at keymancollectibles.

http://keymancollectibles.com/pinsbu...uthessopin.htm
Hi Rick

Thanx - that's one of the places I got the info from. It's interesting how many times I've seen the fake in auctions - both ebay and 'houses.'
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Richard Simon

Some rare 1965 Mets pins and a jumbo sized 1969 Mets pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mets65.jpg (66.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg mets69.jpg (70.2 KB, 315 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Richard,
I like the 1965 Mets pinbacks. Cool!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Al

Default pins

Richard,
First Leon then You with pins Im in shock! Al
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 AM

What a great thread this is. Thanks for starting it Mike, and to all who have shared their collections! So many terrific pins posted by all, and I really mean that. I never get tired of looking at the vast range of such beautiful pins. By all means, PLEASE keep posting!

Like I whined before, I simply missed the boat on pinbacks. It's just to late in the game for me to plunge in headfirst, as they're too many passionate collectors to try and compete with.

Henry Yee's auctions always have plenty of sweet pins and I've even set some snipes over the last few years, but I've never even come close! So I'm sticking with Baseball photography and the Beatles... for now.

Well, at least I do have one nice pin that I always admired and picked it up several weeks ago from Bob McCann (who in my opinion is clearly one of ebay's best sellers of Baseball memorabilia).

1947ImRootingforJACKIEPin.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 01-02-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Richard Simon

Al,
I am a Mets collector, among many other things, so don't be so shocked. .
If I get around to it, I also collect various Presidential campaign pins (mostly TR and JFK) and can post some of those.
And please no mocking for my team of choice

ps. I believe the 1965 Mets player pins only consisted of those four pins. If anyone is aware of any other, please let me know.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-02-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Al

Default pins

Richard,
I would never do that ! HERE COME THE YANKEES! dah,dah,dadah.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Richard,
I would never do that ! HERE COME THE YANKEES! dah,dah,dadah.
Yeah, yeah, here dey come and dere dey go,,, another early playoff fold .
But I have to admit Yankee envy,, especially with the Mets in the poorhouse.
--
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Al

Default pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Yeah, yeah, here dey come and dere dey go,,, another early playoff fold .
But I have to admit Yankee envy,, especially with the Mets in the poorhouse.
Well you know the new phrase when you play with Bernie M. be careful not to get burned!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Love those Mets pins Richard -- I don't think I've ever seen Berra or Spahn before.

Here are a couple more I found scans of --

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boston pins.jpg (42.0 KB, 298 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Well you know the new phrase when you play with Bernie M. be careful not to get burned!
The actual saying is "play with Bernie and lose Jose Reyes."
--
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Al

Default pins

Richard,
A new twist for you ! In order for me to talk to you about the mets you must post a new pin!
O.K. as most know Im a big pin collector but I also like to try and find out as much information on them as possible. That is why I loved the picture posted by Stone193 on the 1924 washington pins. Great shot! Here are some pins that I love and dont post much but wanted to show. Then there are some in here that I would love to hear some other thoughts on.

1 Nelson fox mighty mites pin I was finally able to find out what this pin was all about so this mistery was solved.
Thanks to Dan B. who hooked me up with the original owner of it . He also gave me some great info.

2 Leo Durocher Deer Club Favorite there is also a charlie dressen pin the same
what the heck was The Deer Club? and where was it located? Maybe someone else out there has a good answer. The only thing I was able to come up with was it was maybe a hunting club.

3 Im for mantle Im for Maris 2 of the most Iconic pins to collect but here is my question. I have tracked these 2 pins for many years. Constantly hearing that they were sold at yankee stadium. I have never found one person who bought one at yankee stadium. Also if that was the case this pin wouldnt be so rare. There should be many more of them around shouldnt there? Also almost every last one of these pins over the last 6-7 years or as long as I have been tracking them on ebay has come out of California . I find that very strange!
Just some questions from a crazy pin collector!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Mike Kendall

Default Just to keep it going

How many of you have seen this pin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1002.jpg (75.7 KB, 304 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Richard Simon

Al,
My other Mets pins are the real common ones, Daily News pins and a few others.
But the originator of this thread asked for non sports also, so I will post some of my political collection tomorrow.
--
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Al

Default pin

Mike Me!:
Richard looking forward to it!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 01-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Mike H.

Mike..the only twp Waitkus day pins I recall seeing are the one in your collection and the one in Paul's book. Now that I say that Greg (sayhey24) may have one. Thanks for posting it
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Craig

Quote:
Richard,
A new twist for you ! In order for me to talk to you about the mets you must post a new pin!
O.K. as most know Im a big pin collector but I also like to try and find out as much information on them as possible. That is why I loved the picture posted by Stone193 on the 1924 washington pins. Great shot! Here are some pins that I love and dont post much but wanted to show. Then there are some in here that I would love to hear some other thoughts on.

1 Nelson fox mighty mites pin I was finally able to find out what this pin was all about so this mistery was solved.
Thanks to Dan B. who hooked me up with the original owner of it . He also gave me some great info.

2 Leo Durocher Deer Club Favorite there is also a charlie dressen pin the same
what the heck was The Deer Club? and where was it located? Maybe someone else out there has a good answer. The only thing I was able to come up with was it was maybe a hunting club.

3 Im for mantle Im for Maris 2 of the most Iconic pins to collect but here is my question. I have tracked these 2 pins for many years. Constantly hearing that they were sold at yankee stadium. I have never found one person who bought one at yankee stadium. Also if that was the case this pin wouldnt be so rare. There should be many more of them around shouldnt there? Also almost every last one of these pins over the last 6-7 years or as long as I have been tracking them on ebay has come out of California . I find that very strange!
Just some questions from a crazy pin collector!
Hi Al,

With regard to the Mantle & Maris pins, I can add that I got mine approximately 20 years ago from long-time hobby pin guy Tom Reid and a friend of mine purchased both of his at Manny's across the street from the stadium in the 60's. Hope that helps.

Craig
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Al

Default pins

Craig,
Thanks for the info . Always like to hear that..
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Here is my favorite:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan taz pin.jpg (64.6 KB, 267 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Mike Kendall

Mike H.
Unless I overlooked it, I don't see the Waitkus Day pin in Paul's book. Did he put it in a section other than Special Day pins?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Here is my favorite:
Chris,
I love that pinback. The color and the graphics are awesome!!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM

That Eddie Waitkus is a great pin, and I don't have it.
A couple more random photos --

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovalpins.jpg (74.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg morebatpins.jpg (76.7 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg Dimaggiobatpins.jpg (73.1 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg robinsonpinsandmore.jpg (77.9 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg Melepresidentpinandmore.jpg (78.3 KB, 423 views)
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Mike H.

Terrific showing as always Greg...Keep up the great work guys
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Richard Simon

A few from my Teddy Roosevelt collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRpins.jpg (77.0 KB, 411 views)
--
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default 1954 Baseball All-Star Game pm10 pin

Wow! I have seen some incredible pins - this has been a real treat!

The charm sometimes attracts my eye more than the pin - I didn't really want the pin - as such - but I couldn't resist because of the charm. I just picked this up on ebay.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
That Eddie Waitkus is a great pin, and I don't have it.
A couple more random photos --

Greg
You're a stud, Greg. How come I've got the feeling that I've only seen a small percentage of your collection...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
A few from my Teddy Roosevelt collection.
WoW! Those are remarkable Richard. Well done.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Ok, my collection is not anything close to what has been posted but here goes....
WilliamsPin.jpg

SoxPin.jpg
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Banned

Finally got around to snapping photos of some of my Indians-related pins. Pardon the inclusion of the pencils clips, which aren't pinbacks but could be considered at least not-too-distant cousins.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Finally got around to snapping photos of some of my Indians-related pins. Pardon the inclusion of the pencils clips, which aren't pinbacks but could be considered at least not-too-distant cousins.

Rob,
Impressive collection!!

BTW, I was fortunate enough to see Rob's Indians collection in person in December. He's truly put together a spectacular Tribe museum. Congrats again Rob!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM

What a tremendous assortment of Indians pins Rob!

Greg
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Mike H.

BoSox, ALL of our collections began with one or two pins...thank you for posting yours

Rob...you have an impressive collection of pins, many of which, I havn't seen before.

Here are a few additions I made this week. Thank you to Rick (Oldtix) for making the first two available. The third came from ebay.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Val Kehl

I'm not much into pinbacks, except for those that pertain to the players whose cards I collect. I always thought it strange that the images of WaJo are so different on the 2 Sweet Cap pinbacks. Can anyone tell me if there are any other Pete Runnels pinbacks in existence?
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pinbacks-3WaJos&2Runnels.jpg (78.9 KB, 414 views)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Bob Lemke

Does anybody have a "BEAT MUDCAT" pinback, circa 1961? I'd like to get a scan for a write-up based on some stuff I found in Sporting News.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM

I do. Glad to help you.

Paul
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Al

Default pinbacks

Paul,Paul,Paul,
If you only knew how to work the scanner! We would all be in for a treat!
Your friend Al
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Question on large size 3 1/2" team pinbacks

We recently received a group of the larger sized 3 1/2" team pinbacks in consignment for our next auction and not being familiar with them I wanted to post and get a better description of them. I assume these are stadium issued, they appear to be from the late 50's thru the early 70's. No mfg. markings of any kind.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img628.jpg (77.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg img629.jpg (76.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg img630.jpg (77.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Scott,

You are correct in your dates. The MLB logo first appeared in 1969 (the last two pins). The Houston Colt .45s became the Astros in 1965. I can't tell you for sure that any pin is definitely from the 1950s, but it is possible the Cubs pin might be.

Paul
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Mike H.

Just added this monster to my collection. I could serve a ribeye and potato on this dandy.