NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Scott

Default dimples

dont forget the cards that are DIMPLED (not physically but colorwise)

hint ..look at the Peaches Graham for this "dimpled" style are work
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Frank Wakefield

Well what I didn't manage to say very well up there is that what if 10 or 15 cards that we think of as relatively common were actually printed from 2 separate sets of lithographic stones or plates? The cards are very, very similar, so much so that we've not noticed. And then the 'other' cards from each set of stones are only on one or the other, not both, making them less plentiful.

It would be neat to get several hundred of each of the subjects, spread them out on a table with some good light, and us gathered around... then we could bunch them different ways and see what's there.

Last edited by Matt; 03-21-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Reverted
Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Scott- that dimpled style is very telling. Many of the scarce cards have a dot matrix pattern that cards from other series do not.

Ed H. and others: do you think one artist was responsible for drawing all the images on a given sheet, or do you think more than one was involved? I know we can't say for sure.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Question for the E90-1 Experts

Barry,
I very much doubt that we could attribute all the subjects on any given sheet to one artist. If we postulate 30 card sheets, I don't think that we could identify 30 subjects drawn in the manner of Duffy, Mitchell et al. Given the number of different poses and the compressed time frame involved, it would seem that several artists were employed on the project and the manufacturer simply chose from the images available.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Ed. Makes sense.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default E90 set

Rob A

Regarding your......
" However, 25 card sheets might make sense for this set since the back itself states "100 subjects." "

The T206 set's last series of cards states "460 Subjects"....however, there are 522 subjects and 2 error cards.

Let's consider a bigger picture here. Preceding the E90 set is American Caramel Co's (ACC) E91 set. Each series
of the E91 set consists of 33 cards. We have seen horizontal strips made up of 11 cards across. I think it is fair
to conclude that these sheets were an 11 x 3 array.

The E91 set was printed some time in 1908 (judging by player/team representations). The E90-1 set must have
been designed and printed in late 1908 (judging by player/team representations).

Therefore, I don't think ACC's printing firm drastically changed its printing track to accomodate only 25 cards on
a sheet for the 1st series of the E90-1 set. If anything, the E90-1 cards were printed on 33-card sheets.

Subsequently, ACC printed the E90-2 (Pittsburg team set) and it consists of 11 subjects.

If you guys, don't like my 30-card sheets, then how does 33-card sheets sound ? At least my theory is plausible
based on the configurations of the three ACC sets that I have cited here.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 03-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Question for the E90-1 Experts

Ted,
I am in agreement with your 30 card sheet theory. I just don't view them as four distinct sheets comprising four distinct series. I have always been curious; why do you suggest that the initial printing took place in late 1908? Some cards that I view as first series make a bit more sense if they were printed in early 1909.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default E90-1 set

Ed

One of the reasons for identifying the 1st series as a late 1908 issue is that CYoung was with Boston (AL) till FEB 1909.
There are also some other player transactions that indicate the 1st series cards were designed and printed Fall/Winter
of 1908.

Also included in this 1st series of cards are Ty Cobb and Joe Jackson. Why Joe Jax ? I base this on the fact that Connie
Mack and Daniel Lafean (founder of the American Caramel Co.) were very close friends. American Caramel was based in
Philadelphia. So, I don't think it is just a mere coincidence that most of the A's were issued in this 1st series.
Here are those A's......

HR Baker
Jack Barry
Chief Bender
Eddie Collins
Jimmy Dygert
Joe Jackson
Eddie Plank
Ira Thomas

TED Z