NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Default 1877 Harvard vs. Yale Base Ball Broadside Pick Up - Thayer Mask

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

For twenty years I’ve searched for sports broadsides and have found a fair amount of good ones. However, the one that has always been elusive is a c1880’s Harvard vs. Yale football broadside of at least twenty inches tall. Last week I acquired this 1877 Harvard Yale baseball broadside. It measures 9 inches tall by 5 ½ inches wide. These may have been used as either a small poster or handbill, or both. I hesitated acquiring it since I really only desire larger poster size ones, say at least 20 inches or taller. I actually found a very similar Harvard Yale baseball one, about the same size from the 1880’s, about a year ago but passed on it. This one however has certain aspects that put it over the top. First of all it’s early from the 1870’s and it’s prominently dated. Plus the type is an early more archaic style to my satisfaction.

When I got it in hand I began looking up more about the game and team, using my 1923 copy of “The H book of Harvard Athletics”. To my surprise I learned, or actually, was reminded that Fred Thayer of Harvard had invented the catchers mask in 1877. On page 188, last paragraph, the H Book had this to say about it:

QUOTE "The most important fact to be chronicled in connection with the ‘77 Nine, of which Thayer was also captain, was the appearance of the catchers mask. This was Thayer’s invention, and the idea came from the mask used in fencing. The first one was made by a tinsmith in Cambridge, and was tried out in the old (first) gymnasium in the winter of 1876-77. It was first worn by Tyng in a match at Lynn against the “Live Oaks” when comments were made that that it gave an unfair advantage. The Crimson of April 20, 1877, had the following editorial, which seems to have been the only mention made of this revolutionary invention by the college papers. “The new mask was proved a complete success, since it entirely protects the face and head and adds greatly to the confidence of the catcher, who need not feel he is in every moment in danger of a life long injury. To the ingenious inventor of this mask we are largely indebted for the excellent playing of our new catcher, who promises to excel the fine playing of those who have previously held this position” This mask is shown in the pictures of the ‘77 and ‘78 Nines." UNQUOTE
Below, 1877 Harvard Baseball team, second below, close in of Thayer mask

Below, 1878 Harvard baseball team, second below, close in of Thayer mask

Interestingly the Crimson account was published only 35 days prior to the date of the broadside. Needless to say I was surprised when I realized the close time proximity of the catchers mask invention to the broadside, and that Thayer was captain of the team.

All this prompted me to re-examine a photo I have of Fred Thayer, that I’d gotten years ago in one of the old SCGaynor eBay auction. It’s of Thayer with the 1875 Harvard crew team, bottom row on left in civies. I have it with my baseball things leaning against a spider mask.

As I understand, Thayer masks are nearly unheard of. I believe John Gennantonio told me he knew of only one. Based on the photos of the ‘77 and ‘78 teams pictured in the H Book, and from illustrations I remember, I seem to recall they stuck out quite pronounced from the face and formed a V shape, but I’m just going from memory. If anyone has one, I’d certainly appreciate some photos

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Carlton...

Mastro had an authentic Thayer Mask in one of their Catalog Auctions about 5-6 years ago. I can't find that particular catalogue, but if it turns up, I'll post the picture. I forget what it ended up selling for, but want to say it was between $3,500 - $4,000.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Now, Thayer is called a great innovator. Back in 1877 he was just called a wuss.

Rob M.

Edited to add

Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Thanks Mark,

Ramram, Interesting, let us in on your knowledge of Fred "wuss" Thayer

Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Not unlike the first football player to wear a mask or the first hockey player to wear a helmet.

Rob M.

Edit - Oops, my bad! I'm thinking about Tyng, his catcher. I'm sure Tyng caught some grief from the Old Guard when he first started wearing Thayer's invention!!