NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Default BST Gripe

OK everybody, here goes. I just need to vent this.

HOW COME SOME PEOPLE DON'T PUT PRICES ON THEIR CARDS THAT THEY ARE SELLING ON THE BST! IF THEY WANT OFFERS AND A CERTAIN PRICE, WHY DON'T THEY EITHER PUT THEM ON EBAY, CONSIGN TO AN AUCTION HOUSE, OR OPEN THEIR OWN AUCTION COMPANY!

Now let me defend myself before some people kill me on the board by stating that I'm not saying this because of any one seller or member who has offended me. It is just that I go to the BST to shop and possibly buy things because I know exactly what I have to pay for it, unlike an auction or ebay. Look, I hope no person takes personal offense to this, because I am not talking about any particular member; it just seems that lately, many sellers have gone to "Make Offers". Sorry if I'm wrong, but I didn't think this was the intention of the BST.

Best Wishes Everyone!
Tim Kindler
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Jeff

Some people are salesmen and some are fishermen.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Paul

Default private auctions

Some people like to run their own private auctions without having to purchase auction software,
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

It only slightly annoys me when the BST has a bunch of make offer ads. But it's not a huge deal. I can live with it.

A "taking offers" section would be a nice thought to add to the BST, since the listed items aren't necessarily for sale. Only potentially for sale.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I've noticed this too.. maybe people are afraid that their asking price is going tp be less than what they can actually get for it. Who knows?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Jeff

To me it's no more than a minor aggravation at this point.
I have bought dozens of cards on the BST over the years but I don't recall ever making an offer. I typically interpret these type of listings to mean, "I don't really want to sell this but if someone is willing to overpay I might."

All in all, I don't see it as an issue. Maybe we just rename it, the Buy/Sell/Trade/Fish Page.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default slightly annoying

The make-an-offer listings are slightly annoying to me. I generally won't make one (unless I need the card "real" bad).
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Default I do feel better!

I guess after venting, I do feel a lot better and really now I realize that it isn't that big of a deal! I guess I just needed something to gripe about since I had a colonoscopy done today!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

After some thought and a simple wiki search on auction types to get the actual name. Technically, make and offer ads are auctions and should accordingly be listed in the auction section....These would fall under "First-price sealed-bid auction", with an undetermined reserve(since the seller doesn't have to sell)..

Last edited by novakjr; 10-25-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Patrick N.

Default Some

Some people don't know what a card is worth and so the "best offer" option allows them to guage what that # it might be...If they get offers of $100, 200, 300, etc. they can atleast get a ballpark figure. Pre-war cards don't tend to have a long paper trail and so oftentimes this is the only way to go. To assume these folks aren't trying to actually sell is just that, an assumption...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Frank Wakefield

Some sellers ask for an offer when they are unsure of demand, and want as much as they can get... maybe we should get mad at everyone in that situation; no.

Some buyers only want to grab up a steal or a bargain, and aren't 'person' enough (just staying gender neutral) to make that offer. Maybe they too are unsure of demand, and want to buy something for as little as possible. Are we going to get mad at them, too? Naaahhhh.

Having been guilty of it many times before, I try to hold onto something I think I picked up on this board, don't blah someone else's bling. Easy to say, difficult to do.

I believe I ran the first 'auction' on BST... that's kind of a 'make offer' situation.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:24 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Patrick, you're spot on. They definitely belong in the BST, and there's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes the listings aren't necessarily intended to sell, and other times they are. Either way, the cards either aren't for sale, or are an auction. And rightfully belong in the auction section, or their own "make offers" section.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Jeff

I have always thought that most of the type of listings we are talking about were from fairly savvy collectors/sellers. Some cards are thinly traded for sure.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Fred

I figure if someone asks for an offer and doesn't provide a price then they shouldn't be annoyed if the low ball offers come in.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I figure if someone asks for an offer and doesn't provide a price then they shouldn't be annoyed if the low ball offers come in.
That's true too. Or they shouldn't be mad if we ask for a ball park (which hasn't happened to me).

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Paul

I sometimes will do "make me an offer" posts. It helps me gauge interest in an item and identify potential buyers. That allows me to have a constructive dialogue, particularly when I fear that my price would be too high to even spur an offer.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM
T0dd M@rcum

The last time I made an offer, it was deemed offensive. And I am not a very offensive type of guy. Generally.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
A "taking offers" section would be a nice thought to add to the BST, since the listed items aren't necessarily for sale. Only potentially for sale.
I feel the same way as the OP. I like David’s idea about having a separate “taking offers” section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Some people don't know what a card is worth and so the "best offer" option allows them to guage what that # it might be.
I disagree. Unless the card just fell into their lap, they know what they paid for it and that should at least get the seller in the ballpark of what to ask for the card.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 10-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Dean

There's always the simplistic selling approach of listing at a healthy price you'd be thrilled with but is almost certainly too high, then saying "OBO". You've effectively gotten around the gripe concerning "make me an offer" threads. No one seems to care about OBO listings.

my eBay auctions
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Offers vs auctions

The "make me an offer" posts are really auctions with hidden reserves. I don't think there's a fundamental problem with them, although I avoid them personally. I think if they were on the auction page, I'd be more inclined to "bid" on the card. People understand reserves and accept them...while the "make me an offer" turns many off. Just call it what it is...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
I guess after venting, I do feel a lot better and really now I realize that it isn't that big of a deal! I guess I just needed something to gripe about since I had a colonoscopy done today!

Tim- I agree with you 100%.
Be careful about getting on the internet (ebay) after being knocked out for a colonoscopy, I have heard a lot of stories about people who bought boats and other items while still "under the influence."
Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
Did you have to mention the "C" word?

Mine's on the 10th of November and I had conveniently forgotten about it...

Til NOW!!!

And I thought the Fishermen on the BST were annoying...