NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Paul

Default Monogamously T206?

Just curious as to how many people who regularly visit this forum are exclusively T206 collectors. I mean, sure, maybe we read general pre-war card discussion because it broadens our perspective on T206 -- but how many people here collect T206, and only T206?

I have occasionally moved outside of T206, but it is always a brief sojourn. I keep getting pulled back, so to speak. Though, full disclaimer, I do have a few non-T206 autographed pre-war cards. I guess that means I have two different collecting interests -- T206 and signed pre-WWI cards.

Anyone monogamously T206? And if so, why are you so faithful?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Because they are so much more readily available

and until you get into the rarer, or more hard to find cards, relatively easy to at least find, even if you can't afford them. Besides, you mention Honus Wagner, and everyone knows what it is you collect.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM

I once loved the T206 set, then I started working in the hobby. If you search the Marianas Trench or Mount Everest, I swear you will find T206 cards (along with Bob Feller autographs). Other than really difficult backs or signed cards, I really don't get the allure anymore. Plus, despite the rationale, I could never consider a set complete without Wagner or Plank.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 06-24-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Archive

I guess you could say that I fit the bill. I only own 5 other pre-war cards ( 2-T205s, T207, 33 Goudey and a 34 Goudey-auto'd). I do have a lot of modern which I trade or sell to purchase more T206s.

Why?.........because of the challenge.

Jantz
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Joe P.

I agree, regardless of the rationale, if you know the check list to any set, and you don't have the card ... you DON'T have a complete set.

I have two T206 sets, and regardless of how close they are to completion, they are incomplete, even though one of them just needs one card.

So what do I do?

I pacify myself by working on the T210 set.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Paul

Default I think part of the allure...

....is that without Wagner you aren't complete. You would have a space in your collection that you dream about filling and yet never do. There's something really nice about that. If you knock of the E95 set -- so what. Too easy. But T206, well now there is an immortal challenge!

@SignedT206
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Joe P.

Default Never say never .....

The Wagner is second by a mile, as the toughest card in the T206 set, but it is the symbol of the the hobby, and the one that I need.
Chances are that it might not come to be in my case, but life is full of surprises.

The Unbelievable we can do ... the Impossible ... will take a little longer.

If you're looking for an immortal challenge ... try the T209 type II set.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM

For the last year I've collected T206 exclusively. I'm a little over 100 all SGC Graded 40-50 and it's been a lot of fun as I've gotten most of the HOF Portraits. But I'm slowing a bit. I'm going to complete T207 & T205 Yankees sets now in addition.

Also I'm not a stickler about the big 4. I consider a master set complete without them. I don't believe the Doyle or Magie errors should be considered a part of the set. Why isn't the no "B" Sweeney then? Is an ink missing card that much different than a swapped plate?

Wagner and Plank have a bit more consideration because they were intended to be a part of the set, but then shouldn't the Proof Cards that never made it also be considered? Is a card that was pulled in the initial press that much different than an unissued proof? So much grey area. These guys were not precise back in the day for sure.

I think there should be designation of a master set and an advanced master set that contains all variations and short prints.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
D.B. Cooper

I've been hitting on other sets on the side.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Joe - There is a T206 Wagner in almost every major auction. All you need to do is have the highest bid. It's not that difficult, is it ?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Seth

Well, T206s are a cheap date, and that how I started in vintage, got to about 75 cards (not much patience), and then sold all but three of my T206s. Comparatively, it's just such an affordable way to get into vintage collecting that it's an easy place to start.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesbro41 View Post
For the last year I've collected T206 exclusively. I'm a little over 100 all SGC Graded 40-50 and it's been a lot of fun as I've gotten most of the HOF Portraits. But I'm slowing a bit. I'm going to complete T207 & T205 Yankees sets now in addition.

Also I'm not a stickler about the big 4. I consider a master set complete without them.
What master set? ... we're talking about the accepted check list of the set.

I don't believe the Doyle or Magie errors should be considered a part of the set.
We're talking about two man made check listed errors.
1. A name error, Magie, instead of Magee.
2. A League designation error, Nat'l, instead of Amer. ... a committed error.
While we're at it, let's add an error of omission ... they didn't replace Nat'l with Amer.

Why isn't the no "B" Sweeney then?
The No "B" Sweeney is an Ink Printing Misstep.

Is an ink missing card that much different than a swapped plate?
YES!

Wagner and Plank have a bit more consideration because they were intended to be a part of the set,
Are you saying that the Magee/Magie, and the Slow Joe Doyle/Nat'l/Amer, were NOT intended to be part of the set?

but then shouldn't the Proof Cards that never made it also be considered? Is a card that was pulled in the initial press that much different than an unissued proof? So much grey area. These guys were not precise back in the day for sure.
They were better than some of today's guys.

I think there should be designation of a master set and an advanced master set that contains all variations and short prints.
They do have it ... It's called a check list ... look up Lipset, and look up Heitman.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Joe - There is a T206 Wagner in almost every major auction. All you need to do is have the highest bid. It's not that difficult, is it ?

Alan, you're not the only one crying poverty.

Buddy, can you spare a dime?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Yank View Post
They do have it ... It's called a check list ... look up Lipset, and look up Heitman.
My opinion is just that, my own. I'm sorry for sharing it. I feel like your post back to me has a condescending tone though.

Last edited by Chesbro41; 06-24-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: didn't want to come off as sour....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Archive

Default Well...

For some collectors its the hunt, not the kill.

You know, like some people use exclamation points!!!!!!! and some people type using bold letters.

Its all a matter of opinion...nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Jantz
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

That's the beauty of collecting Jantz. It's all subjective.
Cobb/Cobb back was considered a part of the set until recently from what I recall.
Magie & Doyle are printing flaws to me. Same as a missing ink.
I'm sure they intended to spell their names and get the teams right.. hence them correcting themselves early.

Burdick never saw the Nat'l card either...
Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Archive

Chesbro41, you are absolutely correct and I agree with you. Thats the best part about collecting. Its all subjective. This set has a lot of depth to it and there is still more to be discovered about it.

I think anyone who attempts to put this set together should make their own checklist. Not one that someone else deems "the correct checklist".

Honestly, its an endless debate.

Jantz
Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Paul

Default I'll play along

"Is an ink missing card that much different than a swapped plate? YES!"

Why? Because one was "man made" and the other was ...er.... uh.... made in nature?

While I draw my line the same as you -- Magie yes; Sweeney no -- that particular line is drawn in the sand.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 06-24-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Jim R

Very interesting. Even with Wags,Doyle, Magie and all the fronts-NOT COMPLETE-The MONSTER is all about the backs-RARE BACKS. I love this set and will collect it all my life -trying to get every front with every back possible. .
I started with 10 examples of each back and then 20 and now 50. I have gathered 75 of the possible 117 Baltimore combos. I am working on the Giants with the sweaters and the HOFers and the commons and it just goes on and on.

I have also gathered the Baltimore issues from the other sets in the same era-T213,T214,T216,e106,C46,CJs,OJs,d303.

I also have gathered examples of Es from e90 to e106-don't have a e107 yet. Also started T210s-have about 100 of them.

I am a T206 guy at heart but have branched out and I am totaly addicted to collecting little pieces of cardboard. Man I am glad this isn't crack..

Last edited by cfc1909; 06-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesbro41 View Post
Cobb/Cobb back was considered a part of the set until recently from what I recall.

Source please.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM

It's an endless debate. Here's the real question...
If Wagner and Plank are never pulled. How does history treat this set? How does history treat all Wagner cards?
Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
David Poses

Default started with the monster

I agree with the previous post about the Monster being the door to vintage- I started with T206, picked up about 75, fell in love with other stuff as I was more exposed to it, and now I have all the Yankees in T206 and am done. It became harder and harder to justify spending money on cards I wasn't crazy about (so much of the set is gorgeous, but one day instead of buying the Dutch Jordan I set out to buy, I picked up an E101 Kleinow and found myself all over the place for about 2 years. Now, finally, I have toned it down and am exclusively collecting any pre-war Yankee. Leaves a lot of wiggle room to buy what I want when I want it. I liked the idea of exclusively collecting The Monster, but after a while I started not liking the idea of self-imposed limits.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Bill Cauley

Default My problem....

is that I have this disease where I can't stay focused like that and I like too many things and too many players. I was going to start a T207 set a couple of years ago but my A.D.D. kicked in and that stopped. After talking with a board member at a show back in January, I'm thinking of possibly starting a H.O.F. type card collection.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Paul

Default Cobb/Cobb

"Cobb/Cobb back was considered a part of the set until recently from what I recall.

Source please."

Regardless of whether you consider the Cobb/Cobb card a T206 card, it is hardly controversial to only collect a set based on the images on the front. I have never found any particular thrill in collecting T206 backs. While I recognize the values of the different backs, when I put my first (only) set together, I used to trade rarer backed cards to get more front backed cards.

@SignedT206
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM

HELLO ALL!!

i only collect t206 freaks!!as u prob know

= )
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Barry Arnold

Default monogamy

I was monogamous---i called it singleminded---until I tamed/completed
the monster(given my definition).
Then I shifted to some T206 era pack collecting and some type collecting,
primarily in order to contextualize my T206 cards, and in part so as to
decorate the walls of my office. I've almost completed these mini- tasks and have
asked the Monster for forgiveness. I realize that it may not come quickly.
In deference to the Monster, please
remember: the Monster wants you to quit; don't listen to it!!
all the best,Paul et al

barry
Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Joe P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
For some collectors its the hunt, not the kill.

You know, like some people use exclamation points!!!!!!! and some people type using bold letters.

Its all a matter of opinion...nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Jantz

Tell that to S. C. Gov Sanford's wife, and kids!

Last edited by Potomac Yank; 06-25-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: left out the kids, just like the Gov.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Another T206 faithful

The only prewar cards I own are T206. Love the color, variety and availability. Availability is important because a card's appearance matters to me. I like that there are plenty of mid to upper grade condition cards for sale at reasonable prices. Occasionally, you can even find some pretty good deals. Like the Old Mill, Dougherty below that I just picked up for under 15 bucks. I've purchased a few other types of prewar cards from time to time, but I've always ended up selling them to buy more of the monster. I don't know if I will every complete even the base set in the condition that I'm looking for, but who knows, I'm stubborn and persistent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (52.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (39.6 KB, 71 views)