NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I hope someone will contact SGC about this!
Old 10-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Anson

It takes some giant "berries" to doctor some of these already high-end cards. I cant imagine taking a risk on a PSA 8 Gehrig.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

That card was a ugly PSA 8 the first time.
For this card to be trimmed this badly and to get a 9 with SGC that looks bad.....real bad.
Would like to know two things;
Whom submitted the card for grading to SGC?
Will SGC honor their guarantee, buy the card back reholder it properly in a A.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-28-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:16 PM
pete ullman

that doctor sure "centered" that gehrig right up!!!
Old 10-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I hope someone will contact SGC about this!
Perhaps one of Heritage's friends will contact them so they can do nothing about it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
That card was a ugly PSA 8 the first time.
For this card to be trimmed this badly and to get a 9 with SGC that looks bad.....real bad.
Would like to know two things;
Whom submitted the card for grading to SGC?
Will SGC honor their guarantee, buy the card back reholder it properly in a A.
Restitution for that Gehrig Card alone might bankrupt SGC. I wonder what (if anything) they’ll do if legal recourse is pursued? And who makes this enormous claim? The consignor? The “winning” bidder? Heritage? The person who sold it to the consignor?

What a mess. Just once it would be nice to hear from a major auction house, with specific action that was actually taken to resolve one of these issues. The silence is becoming deafening, and is sucking the trust right out of the hobby.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Restitution for that Gehrig Card alone might bankrupt SGC. I wonder what (if anything) they’ll do if legal recourse is pursued? And who makes this enormous claim? The consignor? The “winning” bidder? Heritage? The person who sold it to the consignor?

What a mess. Just once it would be nice to hear from a major auction house, with specific action that was actually taken to resolve one of these issues. The silence is becoming deafening, and is sucking the trust right out of the hobby.
Agree....
Who sent the card in for grading and who consigned the card ? If someone knowingly alters a card in bad faith to defraud the TPG breaking their good faith clause wouldn’t said grader have civil monetary restitution suit against submitter ? Or is that all BS too ?
Finger pointing and coverup to follow. Or even worse the owner loves the card no issues...guess that’s
The same as cover up.
So many theories all very interesting and extremely saddening.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Two days until the next CLCT earnings release and conference call. No doubt there will be some very tough analyst questions .... not. No doubt Joe will have a candid discussion of the scandal.... not.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colle...130005352.html

Meanwhile the stock is flirting with 30. Anyone want to short it? LOL.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-29-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:16 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

[QUOTE=Throttlesteer;1926894]It takes some giant "berries" to doctor some of these already high-end cards. I cant imagine taking a risk on a PSA 8 Gehrig.[/QUOT

What if they are not taking a chance? What if somehow the submitter knows ahead of time the grade that will be assigned by a specific grader or graders by one of the tpg's. Hmmmm.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Two days until the next CLCT earnings release and conference call. No doubt there will be some very tough analyst questions .... not. No doubt Joe will have a candid discussion of the scandal.... not.

Here's a short video from their public relations agent reassuring everyone all is well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-29-2019, 01:11 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Here's a short video from their public relations agent reassuring everyone all is well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro
haha...love it!!!!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

so the claims are either too small (under 10,000) according to 'Peter C' or they are too enormous...
Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Sadly the high end graded card market must crash first for any of this to positively recover and move in the proper direction. Right now it’s all a Fraud.
I’m not insane I’m just keeping it real to the bottom line.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
so the claims are either too small (under 10,000) according to 'Peter C' or they are too enormous...
And you’re still a bottom-feeding idiot both in the legal profession and the hobby. Actually the Gehrig card is being addressed. But you don’t know how because, well, you don’t matter.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am glad to hear something is being done about the Gehrig. Slabbing the mini-Goudey was not S_C's finest hour.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

And the Hull as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Does anyone know if action is being taken to only address trimmed cards?
How about cards that were cleaned, soaked or whatever method that does not leave evidence? I believe these are flying under the radar by the mass. Betting #’s on par with trim jobs.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Does anyone know if action is being taken to only address trimmed cards?
How about cards that were cleaned, soaked or whatever method that does not leave evidence? I believe these are flying under the radar by the mass. Betting #’s on par with trim jobs.
Ask your friend Brent, as many are his own creations, no?

Old 10-29-2019, 05:55 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Ask your friend Brent, as many are his own creations, no?
I appreciate the suggestion Peter. Perhaps others here have some information as well.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestion Peter. Perhaps others here have some information as well.
To the best of my knowledge, this category of cards is not the focus of the investigation, and I don't believe any initiative is being taken to issue refunds for them. Now in specific cases if the owners press the issue, they may have obtained a refund.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Actually the Gehrig card is being addressed... And the Hull is as well.
Can you explain what you mean by "addressed"? I'm inferring refunded and then provided to the FBI and/or reholdered as AUTH, but it could mean something else.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I’m not convinced, the 34 Gehrig in the PSA 8 holder is the same card as the SGC 9 Gehrig, I believe it is NOT THE SAME CARD.

Look Close the right border on the PSA 8 shown, it’s substantially narrower on the PSA Card then the SGC Card in a 9 holder.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-30-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

As I read this thread it appears all the examples are from AH sales.
What about the scenarios in private deals?
What if a buyer ends up with that Gehrig or Hull in a private sale? What recourse is there?

Pretty soon many of these examples will have traded hands multiple times before being identified. Who is liable at that point?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What if a buyer ends up with that Gehrig or Hull in a private sale? What recourse is there?

Pretty soon many of these examples will have traded hands multiple times before being identified. Who is liable at that point?
That's the whole point of the third party guarantees, or was anyhow.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
And you’re still a bottom-feeding idiot both in the legal profession and the hobby. Actually the Gehrig card is being addressed. But you don’t know how because, well, you don’t matter.
Another bully comment, nice one Peter C.

Glad to see now they you are volunteering previously unknown information to the board as being 'addressed' I am sure you will advise exactly how it was addressed as that would be the point of it. Everything in life is being 'addressed'.

Anyway, if it can be addressed where everybody is happy and no lawsuit needs to be filed then that would be the best option..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-30-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I’m not convinced, the 34 Gehrig in the PSA 8 holder is the same card as the SGC 9 Gehrig, I believe it is NOT THE SAME CARD.

Look Close the right border on the PSA 8 shown, it’s substantially narrower on the PSA Card then the SGC Card in a 9 holder.

Dont worry its being 'addressed' Saying its not the same card or the same card when its about a 40k or whatever purchase is no big deal. They will work it out.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-30-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

This has already happened on thousands of occasions. It dates back much further than the "current scandal". It's just that the doctors and corrupt dealers were caught earlier this year. There are infinitely more tainted/altered cards currently in private hands than those which have been exposed. It is very difficult to track down the cards' histories, so only a small percentage can be positively identified.

As far as who's liable... PSA needs to be challenged on their supposed guarantee. If the dealer or previous seller is unavailable/untraceable/unable to comply, or if you don't recall where the card originated, then the TPG is your source for compensation. The tainted card was authenticated - slabbed - sold - traded under their "authenticity guarantee".

If PSA isn't willing to comply, or it's a non-PSA Card in question, then it might be time to contact an attorney. And it appears that one is available right here!

Last edited by perezfan; 10-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Peter Chao claimed to be an attorney. Just noting that.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Peter Chao claimed to be an attorney. Just noting that.
I sent a link earlier in some other thread -- his linked in page also has him as an attorney. He has not been active for a while on that forum but it was the same gentleman who posted on 54

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-chao-71a84863/

Rich
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I sent a link earlier in some other thread -- his linked in page also has him as an attorney. He has not been active for a while on that forum but it was the same gentleman who posted on 54

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-chao-71a84863/

Rich
Just goes to show the value of a law degree.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I think we’ve seen the value of a law degree here. Or an alleged one at least.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Like there arent enough lawyers already. There isnt a lot of value in a lot of degrees these days actually.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I think we’ve seen the value of a law degree here. Or an alleged one at least.
I agree with that.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-re...ng-Income.html

All is well!!

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-31-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Joe Orlando says "Customer demand has never been higher for our services, and customer satisfaction is our priority."
I'm no longer a customer as they've revoked my submission privileges. Any of you other customers unhappy with their services? You might get banned too.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Fake news from Newport Beach

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-31-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I'm no longer a customer as they've revoked my submission privileges. Any of you other customers unhappy with their services? You might get banned too.
Now I understand where your PSA sentiment comes from John. I could not quite put my finger on it all this time.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

American Greed...

Start taking notes for a future blockbuster episode!

Old 10-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Fake news from Newport Beach
You didn’t get the newsletter that PSA just graded it’s 1 millionth Pokémon card?
We should not just make assumptions from our own little vintage world bubble. There is a large spectrum in the collectors universe as you know.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:17 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I see a low teens company right here 12 months to 16 months out.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:

I just listened to the 17 minute conference call. There were no questions during the Q&A segment. They announced having record revenue, a record backlog and plan to expand. This can only mean adding neophyte graders to the staff. Indeed, all is well.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
I just listened to the 17 minute conference call. There were no questions during the Q&A segment. They announced having record revenue, a record backlog and plan to expand. This can only mean adding neophyte graders to the staff. Indeed, all is well.
LOL no questions. At least there were some softballs last time with no follow up and Joe skipped past the one guy who persisted. Poof. LOLOL. In my next career I am going to be an analyst. Let me practice here: "Nice quarter, guys!!"

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-31-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I see a low teens company right here 12 months to 16 months out.
Sure bro, then short it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Sure bro, then short it
Don’t do options trading
Old 10-31-2019, 05:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Now I understand where your PSA sentiment comes from John. I could not quite put my finger on it all this time.
Oh, that just happened this week. I hate companies that lie to me, but they owed me $100 from a delayed order voucher that I figured I should try to redeem. Maybe they'll let Bobby apply it to the next Net54 submission special...
Old 10-31-2019, 06:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Measuring with the cursor, it's the same. And the 11 marks/flaws are like a fingerprint.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=5709

Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
As an actual bottom feeder in the hobby.... I'm slightly offended.

Now where did my monster box of 88 score get to?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Sure bro, then short it
right easy to say, put money where mouth is....low teens may be 100 and thirteen...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Peter, you should consider working on Wall Street with that precise call on the short. Down over $3 today. Any other winners you want to share with us?

Quote: