NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Incredible Baseball Tintype Auction Yesterday

Hi-

What does everyone think about the incredible baseball tintype auction that happened yesterday morning? Below is a link to the auction.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-c...log_TYJP3649QZ

There were some amazing tintypes but unfortunately, I did not win anything. Even though it was outside of the hobby, I thought the prices were fairly strong. Did anyone win anything? I was amazed that the Cap Anson cigar box went so high but it was a beautiful example (I can't remember seeing another). There were a few tintypes with purported major league players and a Cap Anson team tintype sold for a similar price as the cigar box.

Alan
Old 06-28-2020, 07:07 PM

Default New Haven

I was aware of the auction and was the underbidder on the cigar box that went for $5k more than I thought it would or should. I did win the inkwell piece. I was not interested in the tin types but did see that the Cap Anson tin type went for $13kish.

Last edited by bobfreedman; 06-28-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 PM

That’s the largest number of baseball tintypes I’ve seen in an auction.

Rob M
Old 06-28-2020, 11:44 PM
Jay Cee

Wish I would have known about it. If the Anson winner would like to flip for profit then PM me.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 AM
GaryPassamonte

Which lot is the Anson tintype?

I found it. What is the ID based on? The description mentions the Burns association, but absent some provenance or other evidence, how de we know this is Anson?

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 06-29-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:40 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Which lot is the Anson tintype?

I found it. What is the ID based on? The description mentions the Burns association, but absent some provenance or other evidence, how de we know this is Anson?

+1

There was no clear provenance and it was on eBay at some point prior to this auction. The same image is also in the Rucker Archive.

http://theruckerarchive.com/projects...ucker-archive/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 AM

I don’t know about the Anson, but I do not think the one described as 1869 Cincinnati red Stockings is accurate. Hat, bib front and “C” are all wrong, aside from unidentifiable face.
That said, an amazing group, very interesting. Thanks Alan.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 AM
Alan Elefson

Bob, The inkwell was one of my favorite items in the auction; congratulations on the acquisition! I too was curious how Anson was identified in the Marshalltown tintype. The auction site said it was used in Ken Burns' documentary, but I believe I have read in other board threads that the photos used during that show were not always properly identified. I agree there were more tintypes (at least quality ones) in this auction than I have ever seen before. I remember REA had a number of them about five years ago but the quality of these seemed better. Bruce I wish that tintype was a Red Stocking player but I am glad you got a chance to review it.

Alan
Old 06-29-2020, 10:42 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

For purposes of full disclosure, I am the person who purchased the Anson tintype.

In regard to how one knows it is Anson, I too asked the same questions. I did not take into account at all that Ken Burns identified it as such, as I have no information how he came to that determination.

The basis for my ID is the extraordinary resemblance of the person identified as Anson in the tintype compared to two closely-dated images of him – the c. 1868 Marshalltown team shot and the 1874 Studdards & Fennmore cabinet. Yes, I am aware how easy it is for different people to resemble each other, but I simply could not get over the resemblances in this instance. Anson’s hair and the way he parts it is distinct, and they match very well. His eyes are a distinct blue, which when one has the tintype in hand show perfectly. In sum, I (and all others I showed it too, most of whom never heard of Anson) thought the images matched. Other corroborating aspects are his central position in the photo (middle of the front row), exactly where one would expect to see the team’s most important player, and the strong familial resemblance of the person in the middle of the back row to Anson, something I regarded as noteworthy as Anson's brother was on the team.

As to whether other players match up to players in the c. 1868 Marshalltown, that is a difficult comparison to make because in that image the other players are not wearing caps, which they are in the tintype (though Anson is not, thankfully). Also, because Anson played on Marshalltown for several years, the images could be from different years when the team composition could have changed.

At the end of the day each of us makes collecting decisions based on his/her subjective comfort level, and with this image I felt really good it was Anson.

To be totally transparent, SABR’s pictorial committee newsletter several years ago concluded the image does not depict Anson, something I was well aware of when I reached the opposite conclusion. The flaw with the newsletter’s analysis is that it does not take into account the tintype is a reverse image, so all the comparisons it makes to the corresponding features on the comparison images were based on the opposite-side’s feature. The human face is not symmetrical, thereby IMO rendering the analysis flawed. I also strongly believe that even if done properly, between the fact that certain facial features change over time (e.g., ears) coupled with the difficulty in taking exact measurements due to resolution and distortion effects, the comparison is simply not precise enough to rule out Anson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anson_tintype.jpg (69.8 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpg Anson_with_1867_Marshalltown_BBC.jpg (47.9 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg Anson.1874.jpg (78.5 KB, 639 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
At the end of the day each of us makes collecting decisions based on his/her subjective comfort level, and with this image I felt really good it was Anson.
Hi Corey, that's the most important part. What are your thoughts on the dating of the tintype?

Last edited by aquarius31; 06-29-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:11 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
Hi Corey, that's the most important part. What are your thoughts on the dating of the tintype?
c. 1870
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Alan Elefson

Congratulations Corey! The facial matching process is beyond my knowledge. I am glad you did your own research and am sure you are excited to add it to your collection.

Alan
Old 06-29-2020, 11:25 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Congratulations Corey! The facial matching process is beyond my knowledge. I am glad you did your own research and am sure you are excited to add it to your collection.

Alan
Thank you Alan. In all my years in the hobby, I have never seen an auction with the quantity and quality of baseball tintypes as in this auction. And too there were other items, some absolutely spectacular.

Last edited by benjulmag; 06-29-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:58 AM

Congrats on the pick up. amazing!
Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Default Inkwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I was aware of the auction and was the underbidder on the cigar box that went for $5k more than I thought it would or should. I did win the inkwell piece. I was not interested in the tin types but did see that the Cap Anson tin type went for $13kish.

Nice pick up Bob. That had you’re name on it.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 PM

Mark Rucker’s auction a few decades ago was as close as I’ve seen to this one. It was an absolutely fantastic collection but the one fault was that several images were identified with very weak provenance and were later disproved. That aside, it was the singular auction that stoked my interest in 19th century base ball.

Rob
Old 06-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Historical

Love the San Francisco Earthquake photo sales box. $240 seems like a steal for that. If I'd have known about the auction, that might be going on my wall!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Inkwell

Here is an image of the inkwell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC18525B-1804-4579-BA7F-5758E7A195B9.jpg (12.9 KB, 569 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:11 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Here is an image of the inkwell
Wonderful piece, Bob.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 AM
GaryPassamonte

Bob- I have a bell using same batter figure on top of the bell. I think the maker is James W Tufts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bell1.jpg (68.9 KB, 546 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default so many auctions

easy to miss a couple along the long and winding road to a collection. I would have liked to add a couple of special examples to go along with Mark's book. There were quite a few images I would have chased. Likely I'll go back and register so I can see the prices realized for the hierarchical perspective.
Not likely I'll see such an accumulation again at auction I'm too old.....
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Dan Bretta

Seems an odd place to have this auction. How do you guys who saw it think it went? I imagine REA, Heritage or any other house that specializes in baseball would have done better.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:53 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Seems an odd place to have this auction. How do you guys who saw it think it went? I imagine REA, Heritage or any other house that specializes in baseball would have done better.
I was wondering the same thing. There were several of the tintypes that sold <$200 which is obviously low but then again, it's likely that they would have been sold as a lot of 3 or more in REA or Heritage. I do think that perhaps a subset of the tintypes (particularly the ones that appear to be 1860's) may have gone for more in a different AH. It was neat though to see the variety of tintypes and memorabilia that were available...you'd be hard pressed to not find at least 1 item that peaked your interest. I was watching over 20 items (some non-baseball), put bids on 2 items and won 1.

Last edited by aquarius31; 07-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Dan, I think prices were pretty strong across the board for the tintypes, so I'm not sure if a different venue would have increased the final hammer prices. They might have been even stronger with one of the big guys though like REA. As mentioned, an accumulation like this is rarely if ever seen.

Henry, you don't have to register to see the prices realized, just click on any item you want to see, the final price is listed.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Bry@n

They had the Jack Ryan photo (which is pretty awesome) id'd as Dan Brouthers until I shared some research to demonstrate to them it is Ryan. To their credit, they changed the listing.

I only ended up with one photo - I thought these guys were too fun to pass up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tintype.jpg (70.1 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by Jobu; 07-01-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Ron V

They were all really nice. I tried for this one but didn't win it. I really liked this one.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-l...ts_803458DA39/
Old 07-01-2020, 02:52 PM
GaryPassamonte

Regardless of the auction house, prices would be kept down with so many offered at one time. This is a thin market. I experienced a similar result when I sold a large portion of my baseball cdv collection over a couple auctions a number of years ago. The top examples brought strong results, the more common examples not so much. Also, I think the perception is that the images being auctioned are more common than they really are because so many are auctioned at the same time. This of course is not true. However, I do believe a sports auction would have brought more eyes to the tintypes.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 07-01-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Dan, I think prices were pretty strong across the board for the tintypes, so I'm not sure if a different venue would have increased the final hammer prices. They might have been even stronger with one of the big guys though like REA. As mentioned, an accumulation like this is rarely if ever seen.

Henry, you don't have to register to see the prices realized, just click on any item you want to see, the final price is listed.
I would have raised some of those bids had I seen the auction. Not a big deal. I have plenty to concentrate on.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I was watching for someone to post something about this auction, didn't think to look on the memorabilia side. I too was very impressed with the auction offerings.

I bid on four lots, won three. Nothing in the auction was directly within my collecting scope but I couldn't help myself, guilty of scope creep.

Lot #1 - Loved the Civil War tax stamp. A 5 cent tax meant this tintype cost between $0.51 - $1.00 which was a healthy sum for a single photo. The tintype is tinted (green pants) and likely purchased with a frame, both driving cost up (current frame could very well be original to tintype). Most canceled stamps lack a date but this photographer had a cancel stamp much like the post office with a clear March 10th, 1865 cancel. Neat cross-over collectable of early baseball image that can be precisely dated via a legible canceled Civil War tax stamp.

Lot #18 - While advertised as "circa 1869 Cincy", I too had and have some doubts. However, as I studied the 1868-1870 Cincinnati teams I found some of the 1870 uniforms are good match for the "C" but the bibs are not outlined as shown on tintype. This could be a good match for the 1871 uniform had the team not dissolved . . . Nov 1870 newspaper mentions a new traveling uniform for 1871, maybe striped cap? I'm interested enough to keep researching, not sure anything conclusive will turn up. At a minimum, appears to be a well financed club, great looking early uniform. PS - I reversed the image left-to-right to correct the image.

Lot #21 - Not even sure which club this would be but again a great image of a well dressed early player. Success for me on this tintype would simply be to identify possible team(s).

Lot #47 - Jack Ryan - This was the 4th and final tintype of interest but I bowed out. Would have been very different if he were a member of the Detroit Wolverines. I too sent images to auction house on this lot. I didn't know it was Jack Ryan until auction house updated the listing, well done Bryan!

Corey, I believe the same gal who helped me out with phone bids called you at about lot #46 as I recall her saying "hello Corey" and she then put you on hold until Anson came up a few lots later. Great items in this auction, too interesting to pass up.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 07-01-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default thanks for the info Brent

Joey boy - that first image is sweeeet!! I'm going to have to find something you need badly! More interesting than the stamping to me is the irony of the angled pose the man took with the righting stand behind him that serves to keep him still AND those green tinted pantaloons - well 'nuff said. Obviously it's more about the aesthetics to me.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:53 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Default a prediction....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Corey, I believe the same gal who helped me out with phone bids called you at about lot #46 as I recall her saying "hello Corey" and she then put you on hold until Anson came up a few lots later. Great items in this auction, too interesting to pass up.
Joe, congrats on the pickups! Wasn't this an amazing auction?!
Old 07-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Mike

Funny no one posted this auction it until it was over.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 07-02-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Joey boy - that first image is sweeeet!! I'm going to have to find something you need badly! More interesting than the stamping to me is the irony of the angled pose the man took with the righting stand behind him that serves to keep him still AND those green tinted pantaloons - well 'nuff said. Obviously it's more about the aesthetics to me.
Thanks Henry I was very happy to win lot #1, it is an interesting and well preserved tintype. I'm sure we both have great items to trade, let's keep those items safe for a bit and talk later

Quote:
Joe, congrats on the pickups! Wasn't this an amazing auction?!
Yes indeed Corey, great auction material. I likewise had some interest in the Anson tintype as Marshalltown is about 40 miles from my home, neat little town. Congrats on the pickup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Funny no one posted this auction until it was over.
Hey Mike, probably several reasons but I too was surprised it received no mention. I did share it with a couple friends but the response was "not interested in tintypes". Some likely didn't want competition, others feared retaliation for outing auction, not a paid advertiser, etc. I would have missed it myself had a couple friends not brought it to my attention.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 07-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Mike

Hi Joe, I wasn't interested in buying any either, but the items were very interesting and collectable. I only have one tin type, and that is of Sy Sutcliffe.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Hi Joe, I wasn't interested in buying any either, but the items were very interesting and collectable. I only have one tin type, and that is of Sy Sutcliffe.
Please share . . . Is Sy with Detroit, Cleveland, or other?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 AM
Bry@n

Great pick ups! Your top 4 were also among my top lots - I guess that means we share great taste.

I am just relieved they changed the Ryan listing. If that had been sold as Brouthers, who looks quite a bit like Ryan in that photo, it would have gone for a ton and probably been impossible to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Lot #47 - Jack Ryan - This was the 4th and final tintype of interest but I bowed out. Would have been very different if he were a member of the Detroit Wolverines. I too sent images to auction house on this lot. I didn't know it was Jack Ryan until auction house updated the listing, well done Bryan!
Old 07-04-2020, 12:18 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Corey-For what it is worth I agree with the SABR guys, I don’t think it is Anson. Anson has a weak chin and the subject in the tintype does not. Could easily be a relative though.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It is Anson or at least looks like him to me.

Last edited by Leon; 07-04-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=Joe_G.;1995479]I was watching for someone to post something about this auction, didn't think to look on the memorabilia side. I too was very impressed with the auction offerings.

I bid on four lots, won three. Nothing in the auction was directly within my collecting scope but I couldn't help myself, guilty of scope creep.

Lot #1 - Loved the Civil War tax stamp. A 5 cent tax meant this tintype cost between $0.51 - $1.00 which was a healthy sum for a single photo. The tintype is tinted (green pants) and likely purchased with a frame, both driving cost up (current frame could very well be original to tintype). Most canceled stamps lack a date but this photographer had a cancel stamp much like the post office with a clear March 10th, 1865 cancel. Neat cross-over collectable of early baseball image that can be precisely dated via a legible canceled Civil War tax stamp.

Due to the date stamp it is possible that the person was or had been in the military. Even though the rest of his outfit does not suggest it there were several military units during the Civil War that wore green pants, usually with piping:

1st U.S. Sharpshooters aka Berdan's Sharpshooters
Troy (N.Y.) Citizen's Corps
Portland (ME) Rifle Corps

The pants being short leads me to think that they have been re-purposed for baseball. I do not know how common piping was in civilian clothing back them but it was a bit more common in military uniforms.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-04-2020, 02:35 PM
edward

The green pants tin type is possibly from Ludlow, Vermont according to Langdonroad.com. Photographer may be Horatio N. Roberts, Ludlow, VT 1860's.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Jay Cee

Its Anson, and Corey you can sell it to me if you agree with Jays opinion.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 PM
George

Very nice Joe especially the VT tintype.

Here's the one I picked up. It was a unique horizontal pose and I liked the fact that it was a quarter plate. Based on the frame and the photographer mark, my hope was that it was an ambrotype but it's not. I'm still very happy with it and I think it's pre 1870 although could be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860s Tintype.jpg (75.9 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Its Anson, and Corey you can sell it to me if you agree with Jays opinion.
Looking similar to someone doesn’t make you that person. I’ll stick with my opinion. I think the best you can say is that it might be a relative; it’s not Cap Anson.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 PM

George - It looks like it found its way into that case more recently considering that mat is from an 1850's daguerreotype. I'd agree that the image is most likely late 1860's based on their "uniforms". It does present very nice as a horizontal pose and the case just adds more to the presentation. Nice pick up.

Rob M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
Very nice Joe especially the VT tintype.

Here's the one I picked up. It was a unique horizontal pose and I liked the fact that it was a quarter plate. Based on the frame and the photographer mark, my hope was that it was an ambrotype but it's not. I'm still very happy with it and I think it's pre 1870 although could be wrong.

Last edited by ramram; 07-05-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Mark

Quote:
For purposes of full disclosure, I am the person who purchased the Anson tintype...To be totally transparent, SABR’s pictorial committee newsletter several years ago concluded the image does not depict Anson, something I was well aware of when I reached the opposite conclusion. The flaw with the newsletter’s analysis is that it does not take into account the tintype is a reverse image, so all the comparisons it makes to the corresponding features on the comparison images were based on the opposite-side’s feature. The human face is not symmetrical, thereby IMO rendering the analysis flawed. I also strongly believe that even if done properly, between the fact that certain facial features change over time (e.g., ears) coupled with the difficulty in taking exact measurements due to resolution and distortion effects, the comparison is simply not precise enough to rule out Anson.
Corey is quite right in pointing out that when I wrote the article in 2016, I did not know the image in question was a tintype. I saw it in a John Thorn article - indeed I had it flipped the wrong way . However with the image in question oriented correctly, each and every argument I made still applies. The tintype does not depict Anson. I will post a revision here.

>> certain facial features change over time (e.g., ears)...

They don't change in such a gross manner as would be required to support this guy being Anson. Ear changes in men of baseball playing age are extremely hard to see in photos.

>> difficulty in taking exact measurements due to resolution and distortion effects...

The differences are gross - sub-millimeter resolution is not needed and I would not attempt it. Exactly what has caused the claimed very large distortion?

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 07-05-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 PM
Mark

revised:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP 1-2016 draft23x_Page_1d.jpg (78.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg RTP 1-2016 draft23x_Page_2d.jpg (75.7 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 07-09-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: imag deleted during database problem
Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
revised:
Mark,

I have no dog in this fight. It makes no matter to me if it is Anson or not. You seem to have developed a very good method for analyzing facial features. As a long time photographer (40+ years) and photo collector (35 years) sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the forest for the trees. Looking at the photo that is/is not Anson the one feature that jumps out to me even more than the ears is the eyebrows and forehead. That is clearly not discussed. However, from how I view it I don't see how a person who is known to be Anson could go from very arched eyebrows and bulging forehead over the bridge of the nose to very straight eyebrows and a less pronounced, almost flat forehead. I doubt he was tweezing or had a facelift. Just an observation. I could NOT care less one way or the other as it would not fit in my photography collection.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-06-2020, 03:59 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Mark,

This appears to be an instance where we are going to agree to disagree.

To respond briefly to your revised analysis:

1. Comparison of ears from images 30 years apart means little. Ears change. An analogy would be analyzing handwriting; exemplars made years apart from the sample at issue have little value and are not used.

2. Your analysis of ear location is dependent on identical angles of the comparison faces, something that can be easily demonstrated when looking at yourself in the mirror and then noticing the changes in the separation between the eye and the ear as you change the tilt of your face. The face in your comparison image has a different tilt angle.

3. The distinctiveness of a shadow below the lower lip would depend in large measure on the light source used and its location, something we have no information about in any of these images.

I dated the Marshalltown tintype as c. 1870, because in it Anson seems more developed than in the albumen image dated c. 1868. The question rises, even if the images are from different years, whether there are any overlap of players, as one would reasonably expect at least a few. Logic would suggest starting one's search by focusing on the players sitting to Anson's right and left, as by their prominent positions in the front of the photo adjacent to Anson they would seem to be good candidates to be team veterans. The person on the front right in the tintype bears a strong resemblance to the person standing in the middle of the albumen image. Among its consistencies are a comparable tilting of the lips when the reverse image of the tintype is factored in.

I have long surmised that the bearded person in the c. 1868 image next to Anson is his father, who was known to be on the team. That person resembles the person at the top left in the tintype (next to "Anson's brother"). Because in one image he is bearded and in the other clean shaven, comparison is fraught with error. But the person does look older than the other players, and in each instance is standing next to a person who very well might be his son, as one would expect when father and son position for a group photo.

As I said in my earlier post, collecting is subjective, including one's comfort level. Based on all I know and have seen, my view as to whether Anson is depicted in the tintype is unchanged. That others may differ I totally respect.

Last edited by benjulmag; 07-06-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Mark

Hi Corey,

1) It is well known that ears change little from young teens (or some say even younger) until old age (some say age 60, some say aged 70 at which point lobe droop may accelerate for some). Ears are not autographs.

2) I am comparing horizontal ear location, not vertical ear location to which your argument does apply.

3) I am not arguing about the distinctiveness of the shallow below the lower lip but it's location which is considered to be a key identifying factor.

There are quite a few known images of Anson, all of which as far as I know do not have these problems.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 07-06-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
George - It looks like it found its way into that case more recently considering that mat is from an 1850's daguerreotype. I'd agree that the image is most likely late 1860's based on their "uniforms". It does present very nice as a horizontal pose and the case just adds more to the presentation. Nice pick up.

Rob M
Thanks Rob! I carefully took it out of case and confirmed that it's a tintype. It has been in that case for a long time.

Anyone else pick up items from this auction?