NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Sovereigns

I'm sticking with my list of 123 Sovereigns...so I think your 125 number is wrong. Joshua, any luck finding those two cards? If so, I'd love to know!

Take Care,
Geno
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
I'm sticking with my list of 123 Sovereigns...so I think your 125 number is wrong. Joshua, any luck finding those two cards? If so, I'd love to know!

Take Care,
Geno
Hi Geno, I have a feeling that those two don't exist either but just waiting to see if Joshua comes up with the scans first.

Ron
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Pup6913

Ron the Doc white comes with Quotes for all the backs its found with other than PB. Al PB backed Whites will have either No Quotes/partial quotes on right side . I would list the card variation as:
Doc White
Doc White No/Partial Quotes

Also I am arguing the Walsh pink baselines as a variation since none others have been found to exist and the odds of the card stock being subjected to a dye or ink bleed far outweighs the odds of another Walsh being found with the pink base paths.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Geno,
Could not find either scans and I do not own either. I do not have Gardner as a Sovereign in my list. I believe that is a mistake.

Beck is on my list but I could have made a mistake at some point.

Joshua
Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Um...I am not sure about not being able to have both Broadleaf backs. I have never seen one with both AB backs but here is a Phelps with an Olive back. I know for a fact there are at least two different olive ones floating around (one that Patrick Knoll had with a stamped star) and another auctioned a while back without a star stamp.

The Phelps Broadleaf is Olive...see a scan here

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6039172

Downey is in olive as well...a scan can be found by searching here on net54.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Pup6913

I know Downey is olive as I had owned 2 different ones at one point but have never seen a black. As far as phelps I will look at my scans of the one I have and see the color for a positive reference. I will stand behind the BL's being either black or olive and not both. I can see a faded back fooling someone or the olive being really dark and not have great scans a the reason it appears black. Can we see 2 clear scans of any BL double colors side by side?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm going to check all my Broadleaf scans tonight but I do have a theory. Every Drum back has a Broadleaf couterpart. I would think that those 20 broadleaf cards would have the same color back, either black or olive green. Maybe those 20 could have both black and olive green backs or just one color or the other but that 20 Drum printing has to follow a pattern with the Broadleafs somehow. SGC shows a Jack Knight and Fred Payne with Broadeaf backs but the Master Checklist is still blank because of the color question.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Jimi

Green broadleaf Moran No Stray Line on eBay right now.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Pup6913

Ron I think drum was run in less quantity than BL was. If they ran equals then drums and BL would be the same prices
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Ron I think drum was run in less quantity than BL was. If they ran equals then drums and BL would be the same prices
I agree with that but what I was saying is the 20 different cards that have Drum backs also have a Broadleaf card. So say there are 10 or 20 different cards to a sheet, they used the same front plate but changed the back for the Broadleaf run and possibly that same 20 cards have the olive green back and the non Drum Broadleafs are maybe all black backs. I'm just thinking they may have used the same front plate but then they may not have. Just looking for a printing pattern to determine Broadleaf back colors so you can say if a Drum back exists, then the broadleaf back color is olive green and if there is no Drum card, then the Broadleaf has a black back.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here's a couple more to add.

Steve B

Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I agree with that but what I was saying is the 20 different cards that have Drum backs also have a Broadleaf card. So say there are 10 or 20 different cards to a sheet, they used the same front plate but changed the back for the Broadleaf run and possibly that same 20 cards have the olive green back and the non Drum Broadleafs are maybe all black backs. I'm just thinking they may have used the same front plate but then they may not have. Just looking for a printing pattern to determine Broadleaf back colors so you can say if a Drum back exists, then the broadleaf back color is olive green and if there is no Drum card, then the Broadleaf has a black back.
I see what you are saying. Downey is an Olive back and has a Drum counterpart and Hoblitzell is a Black BL and has a Drum back as well. There is no rhyme or reason with the BL colors and a Drum connection. I think it has to do with distribution areas myself. Ted Z has helped me a bit in this area. Same goes for Hindus. This is research that I am not complete with yet to make a final theory but when I do I hope to share it with the board.

Still haven't heard back as to why the Walsh error is on the checklist as an actual variation. Just curious
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Still haven't heard back as to why the Walsh error is on the checklist as an actual variation. Just curious
I added it for three reasons. First, the description of the card states that there was no staining and that the pink was actually printed. If it was missing a color, I wouldn't have added it. Second, I thought maybe listing it would discover others with the pink diamond. Third, If a yellow elephant is accepted, then a pink diamond should be too. I haven't had any other feedback on the pink variation and can be removed at any time. What does everyone else think?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Pup6913

graham sig var backs

Top Left is BL
Top Right is SC
Bottom Left is Cycle
Bottom Right is AB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graham signature variation.jpg (77.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg graham signature variation_0001.jpg (73.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Pup6913; 11-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Pup6913

BL back colors

Blacks are the top 4 group and Olive is the bottom 4 group
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (72.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (71.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I added it for three reasons. First, the description of the card states that there was no staining and that the pink was actually printed. If it was missing a color, I wouldn't have added it. Second, I thought maybe listing it would discover others with the pink diamond. Third, If a yellow elephant is accepted, then a pink diamond should be too. I haven't had any other feedback on the pink variation and can be removed at any time. What does everyone else think?
All the white card stock is pink meaning it is a saturated stain or ink pass. A simple error. The Collins yellow elephant was discovered by Turner and has at least 4 different examples to show, and the yellow is only over the elephants white and none of the other white of the card. Walsh is a simple print anomaly with extra ink no different then the Neal Ball I have missing the red ink. Also not another single card has ever surfaced with pink ink in the white area to even remotely solidify that the card was part of a sheet run.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Good luck with the site, Ron.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Having handled the Walsh I can assure you it was printed that way, no bleed or extra ink. The pink is precisely where the white should have been. Had I not been auctioning the card I would have bought it.

Last edited by sb1; 11-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Having handled the Walsh I can assure you it was printed that way, no bleed or extra ink. The pink is precisely where the white should have been. Had I not been auctioning the card I would have bought it.
I ended up buying the Walsh - Pink from the person who won it in our auction. I don't know what it is exactly but I don't think it's a stain...There are other T205s that have this pink in them and I think it's probably an error...(big scan on purpose)

Last edited by Leon; 11-20-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I too handled that card...in fact, I think it was Scott who sold it to a former board member at a show we were all at many years ago. It is definitely a color pass but I think it could be a pass that was a mistake (white ink pass first that had a bit of red mixed in by mistake). There is a Beck on ebay right now with an odd pink color pass as well. Do not think it is a variation but a true one off mistake at the factory. I have never seen another like it.

Joshua
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Not sure what to call it, one off, variation, etc. but is a legit T205 which saw circulation and is not printer scraps. Regardless of the moniker it's a very neat card. It is entirely possible only one sheet was printed like this due to human error and only 1-2 may survive.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM

I can add one card to the master checklist:

Ford, Black Cap (Sweet Caporal Red)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Pup6913

I agree 100% that the Walsh is a neat card. I have no doubt the card the card is legit in the fact it has a pink pass. Just not in the fact it's a variation. Scott B sold me the Latham that started a 4 yr quest in obtaining or finding other to verify the variation. He also started my AB quest. Thank you Scott for the great transaction and addiction you helped me start.

Last edited by Pup6913; 11-21-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM

Thank you everyone for the recent additions and corrections. I made a temporary change on the Broadleaf part of the checklist. As a Broadleaf back color can be confirmed by an actual card owner or previous owner, the checklist will be highlighted. I'm sure many of the non-highlighted Broadleafs are correct on the checklist but will remain questionable until actual owner scans can be provided. I will keep the checklist this way until all have been determined to be either black or olive green backs.

Yesterday I removed two Sovereign cards, Fred Beck and Clyde Milan. If anyone can confirm that either of these two cards exist with a scan, I will add them back to the checklist.

Thanks again everyone,
Ron - T205Resource.com
Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default so far

Well, I pulled data for my SGC graded cards so far, the raw ones are still a work in progress. I don't think any of the 150 cards are unique to the master checklist already compiled, although I am not completely finished with that comparison...Hey I think I smell Turkey Dinner!

Ron,
If you are lacking scans I can possibly help. I will email you the list. But for this post, I'll just show the breakdown of the SGC portion of my collection. I'm curious as to how this relates to other collectors:

Card Back Count Pct

American Beauty- Black 0 0%
American Beauty- Green 1 1%
Broadleaf -Black 0 0%
Broadleaf -Green 0 0%
Cycle 5 3%
Drum 0 0%
Hassan -Factory 30 13 9%
Hassan -Factory 649 9 6%
Hindu 0 0%
Honest Long Cut 18 12%
Piedmont -Factory 25 44 29%
Piedmont -Factory 42 2 1%
Polar Bear 20 13%
Sovereign 6 4%
Sweet CapFact.25 Black 10 7%
Sweet CapFact.42 Black 11 7%
Sweet Caporal- Red 11 7%
Familytoad SGC 150 cards

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.

Last edited by familytoad; 11-22-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Repair table
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Well, I pulled data for my SGC graded cards so far, the raw ones are still a work in progress. I don't think any of the 150 cards are unique to the master checklist already compiled, although I am not completely finished with that comparison...Hey I think I smell Turkey Dinner!

Ron,
If you are lacking scans I can possibly help. I will email you the list. But for this post, I'll just show the breakdown of the SGC portion of my collection. I'm curious as to how this relates to other collectors:

Card Back Count Pct

American Beauty- Black 0 0%
American Beauty- Green 1 1%
Broadleaf -Black 0 0%
Broadleaf -Green 0 0%
Cycle 5 3%
Hassan -Factory 30 13 9%
Hassan -Factory 649 9 6%
Hindu 0 0%
Honest Long Cut 18 12%
Piedmont -Factory 25 44 29%
Piedmont -Factory 42 2 1%
Polar Bear 20 13%
Sovereign 6 4%
Sweet CapFact.25 Black 10 7%
Sweet CapFact.42 Black 11 7%
Sweet Caporal- Red 11 7%
Sweet Caporal- Red 11 7%
Familytoad SGC 150 cards
Thanks Brian, I received your email and will let you know what scans I need after I finish going through all the ones I have. As far as the T205 breakdown of my collection, I mainly collect Piedmont 42's, American Beauty's, and Cycle's in that order but only in PSA 4/SGC 50 grades. I have a few others also that i've bought when the price is good. For some reason, I buy more T206's than T205's and have well over 1000 different front/back combinations but rare back prices are so out of control that i've been trying to add more to my T205 collection lately.