NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

View Poll Results: How many, if any, BST threads should be allowed in this forum?
Unlimited. As many as members want to post. 12 17.14%
None- that is what the BST area is for. 28 40.00%
A few per member, open at once. 21 30.00%
I don't care *(and do participate in this forum). 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default No more BST in this section- Discussion.

I am modifying this post to open some more dialog concerning this section. There is now a place in the Everything else section of the BST and it specifically says "Football" in the description of what is allowed there. And it also says it in the bold highlighted title (I just changed it). Do you guys really want a ton of BST for football in both places (here in the regular football forum too)? I think we should take a vote and have a better idea..... At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me...whatever the masses want, so be it. My only caveat is that the BST is a tad bit safer than the general forum, as everyone has to be registered to go there. So it is a little safer.

management

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

After a little more thought it seems a bit more discussion on the topic can't hurt.

ps. I voted I don't care and I do participate a tiny bit.

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Tough call. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it.

For what it's worth, I look here fairly regularly, but seldom check the BST "everything else" section.
There's been a lot of BST type posts lately, and I can also see how some might find it annoying.

Steve B
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Mike Dugan

I check this thread each day and after the "NO BST" post I went back several months to check the threads. If you take out the BST this thread would sadly die. There just simply is not a lot of great football info being shared!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I check this thread each day and after the "NO BST" post I went back several months to check the threads. If you take out the BST this thread would sadly die. There just simply is not a lot of great football info being shared!
Sad but true, Mike. I used to start a lot of threads and do a lot of posting here 2 - 3 years ago but got frustrated because hardly anyone else seemed to want to participate actively. I'd be up for doing more posts / conversations if others are willing to get more involved and start threads on various sets, players, teams, etc.

I know it's a small community of football collectors here but if we can't start 2-3 decent threads a week, we're not trying very hard. There's a LOT of sets and cool stuff out there to discuss / explore and a lot of lurkers on this board who know a tremendous amount about some of these sets.

jeff
Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I'd like to see this section be strictly Football topics and not for BST items - but I'd also like for there to be a Football BST section. The 'Everything Else' gets overlooked (by me anyway).
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I would prefer the BST stuff in the BST area. That said, I have no problem with regulars offering stuff here on occasion, same w/any of the lesser fora here, since I know that attracts discussion unless/until it is pure selling spam. Like, on the boxing section I have no problem with Dave B. posting his weekly auction links for eBay. What I don't appreciate are the non-participant professional sellers who spam the discussion areas but add nothing else to the mix.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I would prefer the BST stuff in the BST area. That said, I have no problem with regulars offering stuff here on occasion, same w/any of the lesser fora here, since I know that attracts discussion unless/until it is pure selling spam. Like, on the boxing section I have no problem with Dave B. posting his weekly auction links for eBay. What I don't appreciate are the non-participant professional sellers who spam the discussion areas but add nothing else to the mix.
I agree completely but moderating the non participants is difficult. Let's continue to see what the poll does and go from there. I wish the section got more action but it is what it is.....
Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Carl Lamendola

I am all for democracy. I was thinking a poll was the best way to handle this. I spoke to a few friends of mine and they don't check BST. As someone mentioned, sometimes offering items can spur some conversation.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM
shawn

Default Bst

fairly new here so my posts and comments may not hold much sway. I come straight to the FB forum as that is 99.9% of what i collect and like. I think a little BST won't hurt as long as it doesn't become BST.
A football BST forum may be cool as well, or will that mean you'll eventually have to create a BST forum for Hockey, Boxing, etc. as well? just my thoughts..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Dan Carson

Default B/s/t

I think the way you set it up in the Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc. B/S/T area is o.k.. But a Football B/S/T category would be perfect.....
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carson View Post
I think the way you set it up in the Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc. B/S/T area is o.k.. But a Football B/S/T category would be perfect.....
I can't imagine a whole 'nuther section of the BST. There are a few too many already. I am open to a lot of stuff, but way too many BST forums (imo) not so much.

So that was my first thought...my other thought is if the Football guys want their own BST section, it couldn't hurt to try it....? But if there are more BST posts here in this section, than that one, is it really a good idea to have a Separate one? A tiny bit of activity will mean it meets it's demise....and I really don't care to change stuff back and forth too much. Random thoughts

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Default I would love a Football B/S/T section

Think football needs its own B/S/T, that would be great.

Thanks Tucker
Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Jay Shelton

I think if you offer a football only B/S/T section, then this particular section should be discussion ONLY and no B/S/T. I often check the "Everything Else" B/S/T for football and basketball. I think others would, too, if the B/S/T were eliminated altogether here....
Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 AM
pariah1107

I voted "I don't care" and do participate in this forum. I recently traded 33 - 1959 Football Cards for 32 - 1958 Football cards thanks to a post in the forum under WTTF, but I don't think it was offered in the B/S/T section.

I don't mind the cards being listed, I'd much rather have that than football discussion from the watercooler section moved here.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 AM
J.R. Lebert

I would like to see football have it's own BST section, in the Football forum, not in Everything Else.

Also working on a 1951 Bowman Baseball set, free of gum stains.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebert View Post
I would like to see football have it's own BST section, in the Football forum, not in Everything Else.
Then the question becomes, if there is an independent Football BST section, should BST stuff be allowed in this forum? I am not sure we are close to a consensus yet but the replies are appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If there was a dedicated BST then everything for sale or trade in that category should be there.

Or not...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Then the question becomes, if there is an independent Football BST section, should BST stuff be allowed in this forum? I am not sure we are close to a consensus yet but the replies are appreciated.
No, if a dedicated BST is set up for football, then no BST here.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
No, if a dedicated BST is set up for football, then no BST here.
Dead sections of forums don't do a lot of good and sort of look bad. I know Jeff and a handful of others have participated here, but if we take away all BST, will this forum be barren? Just a thought..... The BST threads here do provide some "action". And as you guys seem to agree to, having Football BST in this forum wouldn't make sense if there is one dedicated to it. Again, just trying to find the right solution. It's not life or death and a lot better than agonizing why I am paying a fee for my cancellation of a doctor's appt. (as I just did) .
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Either way

Adding B/S/T to this existing forum, which it has been for quite sometime, would probably be easiest??

Thanks Tucker
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Adding B/S/T to this existing forum, which it has been for quite sometime, would probably be easiest??

Thanks Tucker
It is what is already happening and why we are discussing this in the first place .
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM
John

I voted "None" on BST - honestly just because I find it kind of annoying. What happens is I get that half second of hope "someone posted something new!?!" and then it just dies when I find out "no, its just someone selling something again". That being said, this is my first post on the subject - I had no plans to be vocal on this topic until I saw this thread and I'm not in favor of severe penalties if someone does start a BST thread from time to time. Ideally, that kind of thing would happen naturally if we had more threads on different sets - and someone posted "pm me I have some dups". Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-27-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Tony. Biviano

Default Football

I'm. For everything in one place. BST football items in the football forum
Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
I'm. For everything in one place. BST football items in the football forum
If I look at the total of a few BST allowed and unlimited allowed it is staying almost exactly the same number as none allowed. Democracy at it's best ....If this stays the same, then what?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

well it is a plurality of none and a majority of either none or a few. Why not start with a max of 1 selling spam thread start per week per person and see how that works out?

Or not...
Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
well it is a plurality of none and a majority of either none or a few. Why not start with a max of 1 selling spam thread start per week per person and see how that works out?
I am game for that or something similar.....I think the previous angst was because there were SO many BST threads here it looked like a BST section and not a forum to talk about cards.

And to further your thought, why not just make it one spam thread per person, period. And they can update their one thread when need be....but only one thread per member for BST in this forum? Then we can also leave the Everything else and Football combined as it seems a lot of football goes there anyway...>AND with the larger FOOTBALL nomenclature added to the title it might help steer Football guys there too. Thoughts??
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Jay Shelton

That sounds like a fine solution, Leon. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If I look at the total of a few BST allowed and unlimited allowed it is staying almost exactly the same number as none allowed. Democracy at it's best ....If this stays the same, then what?
Ok, who put this survey together? You can't start combining votes from various answers to draw this conclusion. Time to break back out a statistics book!

Seriously, the compromise of allowing one BST per week per person seems like a decent solution.

Thanks for your support on all of this, Leon.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 01-28-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Carl Lamendola

Sounds like a good solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Ok, who put this survey together? You can't start combining votes from various answers to draw this conclusion. Time to break back out a statistics book!

Seriously, the compromise of allowing one BST per week per person seems like a decent solution.

Thanks for your support on all of this, Leon.

jeff
My daughter, the senior in high school, might major in statistics. She's an egghead. .... Me? I just want peace and happiness on the board and in the hobby. Is that such a big request? It seems we might have a consensus on 1 BST per member, per week, in this forum and the rest in the Everything Else and Football BST area. Let's leave this debate open a few more days and if nothing changes, we will have a solution. Thanks for everyone's input. I wish it was this easy on the main page.

Last edited by Leon; 01-28-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Ty T.

"Suit yourself. I'm easy!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg igor.jpg (15.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or not...
Old 01-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

OK, so we have a solution. There will be one BST thread per week per member (as plainly stated in the description). Let's see how this works for a while. If you guys will let me know if someone doesn't play by the rules it will be appreciated. I don't care for rules, per se', but this seems like a decent compromise to the issue at hand.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Rob

Personally I think people who get their panties bunched over BST threads needs to get a life. I'd rather have a football forum with a lot of activity in it than no activity in it.

Or how about a Football BST area that's as prominent and easy to find as the baseball ones?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Personally I think people who get their panties bunched over BST threads needs to get a life. I'd rather have a football forum with a lot of activity in it than no activity in it.

Or how about a Football BST area that's as prominent and easy to find as the baseball ones?

Ditto, except the panty part, that's a little too aggressive

I have never been to the BST section, I think you have to get separate permission to enter or post? Too much work so I don't bother.

So the solution is a BST in the football section, which is what decision was arrived at it seems! I vote Adam as BST moderator .....
Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Ditto, except the panty part, that's a little too aggressive

I have never been to the BST section, I think you have to get separate permission to enter or post? Too much work so I don't bother.

So the solution is a BST in the football section, which is what decision was arrived at it seems! I vote Adam as BST moderator .....
Actually all you do is click on the little icon that says Buy/Sell/Trade and it is no different than anything else on the forum. No permission, no nothing...you just need to be logged in. That prevents anyone from randomly going there, which helps a little with security. But yes, "a" BST thread a week, per member, is fine and shouldn't be too complicated for this forum. Next beer on me Joe!!@
Old 01-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Carl Lamendola

Sounds Good. Same rules for boxing, hockey, basketball, golf, etc?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
Sounds Good. Same rules for boxing, hockey, basketball, golf, etc?

My overall preference for the whole board is to have as few rules as possible. Let's not go there unless we really need to. But I will take a gander at those areas. But, without getting political, let's don't let big brother get too big on the board.

Last edited by Leon; 02-01-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
I'd like to see this section be strictly Football topics and not for BST items - but I'd also like for there to be a Football BST section. The 'Everything Else' gets overlooked (by me anyway).
This is my feeling as well. I don't want to have to search through a bunch of "Everything else" when looking for football only stuff.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
This is my feeling as well. I don't want to have to search through a bunch of "Everything else" when looking for football only stuff.
Well, I understand the view and it's not a bad one. So the compromise is that you can put "a" BST thread here and the rest will take all of 15 seconds to look through in the Everything Else section.