NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 PM
R Dixon

Default More shilling on eBay

I got a couple of second chance offers from the same seller shortly after the auctions ended. This is an automatic red flag for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

After checking the bid history I really think this guy is shilling auctions and then offering second chance offers. I checked a couple of other completed auctions from the same seller and saw more of the same. I wanted to post this to shine some light on this guy.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Jeff

Robert,

Either that or he is the favored seller of the "0" feedback club.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 PM

That looks pretty obvious.

Would you buy from a seller on a second chance
that went that route?. I don't think I would.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 PM
R Dixon

Default .

No...I'm not going to buy those cards, and I won't bid on any more of his auctions.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 PM
FredYoung

It's very possible the "0" FB seller is a newbie who didn't follow thru---He seemed to bid on the T206's but not on the other '50's vintage I cked out.

Usually a shill will bid on the whole selection from the seller, but on the surface it sure looks like a shill..
Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Uh -- these cards sold for approximately $15. And we suspect shill bidding?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
J@son M1ller

Default It's happening to me right now!

I've got 6 t206 cards on ebay and some 0 feedback buyer bid on all of the lots. For some reason, you can't block 0 feedback buyers, only buyers with -1 or lower!

I don't know why someone with 0 feedback would bid on 6 lots of t206s. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't do anything about it except for blocking that specific seller after the fact.

ugh!

-jason

edited to add: I'm assuming if he wins, he won't pay and then I will relist. I don't contact buyers for second chance items for the reasons listed above. It appears as if funny business is going on. I don't have a problem losing the $1 to relist, but now you wait another week, etc. and I don't like the appearance of impropriety.

Last edited by Jaybird; 10-10-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Jeff

Default Double Your Pleasure

Good points.

I believe one of the original auctions had 2 "0" feedback bidders, must be a virus.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-10-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM

delete

Last edited by richieb315; 10-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I've got 6 t206 cards on ebay and some 0 feedback buyer bid on all of the lots. For some reason, you can't block 0 feedback buyers, only buyers with -1 or lower!

I don't know why someone with 0 feedback would bid on 6 lots of t206s. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't do anything about it except for blocking that specific seller after the fact.

ugh!

-jason

edited to add: I'm assuming if he wins, he won't pay and then I will relist. I don't contact buyers for second chance items for the reasons listed above. It appears as if funny business is going on. I don't have a problem losing the $1 to relist, but now you wait another week, etc. and I don't like the appearance of impropriety.

What kind of feedback do you need to have to bid on 6 t206 cards. At one time your feedback was 0 also.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
R Dixon

Default .

The winning bidder in these auctions has 98 total bids on 32 items with 67% bid activity with this seller. 0 Feedback.

The first card listed in the seller's feedback is a 1969 Topps Mantle. The underbidder in this auction had a feedback rating of 2. He has 510 total bids on 147 items. 87% of his bid activity is with this seller. The second underbidder has a feedback of 0. He has 195 total bids on 52 items. His bid activity with this seller is 100%.

These same two bidders also bid on a T206 Shaw that the seller listed a few days earlier. They were also the first and second underbidders on a Dave Winfield RC. Maybe they both collect 74 Topps, 69 Topps, and T206....but I doubt it.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Snipe the shill, don't give 'em time to run it up
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM
J@son M1ller

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb315 View Post
What kind of feedback do you need to have to bid on 6 t206 cards. At one time your feedback was 0 also.
Point taken. I've just been burned by 0 feedback bidders in past. They don't have the feedback and therefore can just drop that name and get another if they decide they don't want an item.

In this case, the buyer contacted me shortly after I posted and asked about combined shipping. He seemed legit and excited about the cards, so there you go. He won and immediately paid after I send him an invoice with combined shipping.

So, my pessimism was unwarranted.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM

EDIT; JayBird it looks like we had the same auction winner tonight**

I had a 1 feedback guy clean up on my stuff tonight (right under $1200). He did request a total with combined shipping, so I am hoping for the best!!

I don't mind the low feedback bidders, it is just that sometimes they don't understand the bidding process I guess. This guy went bid for bid, with nothing more than the the next bid placed every time. I hope he pays, but he sure as hell made it look like I was running dirty this evening.

Take care,
Bob

Last edited by B O'Brien; 10-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 PM

Default Ebay is pretty sad

I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years off, and this just reinforces my negativity towards dealing on ebay. I would just rather deal off the boards or from friends.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Clayton

Well, everythings been covered here, but just wanted to point out that in his description of the Krause T206 seller says there's no paper loss at all, yet when I looked at the back of the card it's pretty obvious to me there is quite a few spots of paper loss.

When I used to buy off of ebay just about every auction I seemed to bid on would start going nuts in the last couple of minutes........maybe this seller was afraid to wait until the end when the real action starts, or have things changed on ebay?

I guess I don't understand why a seller would have shill bidding going on with cards that really aren't worth a whole lot to begin with

Clayton
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Robert Williams

I sell on Ebay and I would NEVER make a 2nd Chance Offer to a buyer. My cards sell so cheaply anymore, that I would just as soon keep them if the winning bidder didn't pay instead of give them away. Just my 2 cents.....