NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
tcrowntom

Default Hair is where I get off

An Abraham Lincoln cut signature/hair piece card sold on ebay last month for $17,500. There are random inserts in 2009 packs with 1/1 hair redemptions of anyone from Beethoven to Larry Fine of the 3 Stooges.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5758-Chica...-to-Larry-Fine

Hair is one item I just don't see myself ever collecting. Anyone here into hair collecting?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Johnny S

Default Freaky !!!!!!

I hope it was from the top of his head and not somewhere else. I think it is very creepy and voodoo-ish. My neighbor has some really old freaky china dolls that have hair from her great aunt, grandmother, ect ect and it is scary, I would be scared to be in her living room or house alone at night. I think a card like that could conjure up a ghost or other spirits. Let the dead rest in peace.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM

In a certain way, I can understand the appeal collecting celebrity hair, but could never get involved due to (in most cases) the huge leaps of faith required to buy such material in the first place. Locks of hair, celebrity or otherwise, were commonly collected until the turn of the last century. Heck, women even used to fashion jewelery out of a lock of a departed loved one's strands.

Doesn't eBay have a "no body parts" rule? If hair's OK, then what about finger/toe nails, eyelashes/brows, etc.?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
William Peebles

Thanks Jodi. Now everyone is going to raise my opening bids for celebrity toe nails.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM

Collecting, or at least keeping, hair is an age old thing. A Civil War soldier might carry a locket of his wife's hair into battle. You can find Daguerreotype jewelry with hair of the pictured person inside.

I talked with a science professor about celebrity hair, and, for a celebrity long dead, he didn't know how you would scientifically identify the hair as being his or hers, without already having known genuine hair for comparison. Even if you can identify it as being from the family, as the granddaughter is still living and you can examine her hair, that doesn't by itself match the questioned hair to the individual. After all, if the black hair in auction came from Ted Williams' hairbrush, that doesn't automatically mean Ted was the only one in the Williams family using the brush. He said maybe there were times where the circumstantial evidence, including provenance, is very compelling, and where the hair may have supporting general qualities (black, blonde, thick, etc), but he didn't see how anyone was doing scientific matching of F. Scott Fitzgerald's or John Pershing's hair.

Last edited by drc; 06-11-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

That might be correct about the Woolly Mammoth hair card being more reliable. For positive verification, the scientist only has to narrow it down to the species. I would assume there are many qualified experts out there who can verify the species of animal, especially considering there aren't many hairy elephants walking around anymore.

Last edited by drc; 06-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Scott S

Sounds like it might be easier to authenticate a witch's prayer blanket than 150-year old hair...