NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 PM

Default c1896 cabinet photo of bicycle race broadside…Show your vintage photos of broadsides!

photo CabinetPhoto_zpsa3650150.jpg

photo CloseIn_zps41b25e8b.jpg

Broadside posters that advertise athletic events are one of my favorite areas of collecting. Rarely do I see period photos showing them hung up actually in use ….when I do it’s exciting…I picked this one up a couple weeks ago on eBay for the whopping price of $16.00 plus $4.00 shipping…Sure would like to come across a bicycle race broadside like that sometime…

I looked into the info on the broadside a little and found a NY times reference on the race…Also the name Sanger is on the broadside…W.C. Sanger was apparently a big name racer…I found quite a few references to him on the net..

photo TaggedPhoto_zps3cca23ea.jpg

photo Sanger_zpsbd546079.jpg

photo NYT_top2_zps7b17835c.jpg
 photo NYT_bottom2_zps264a66b9.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-07-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Verbage clarity
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Here is one i own.1880s young ladies baseball club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140407_183531.jpg (33.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 20140407_184231.jpg (34.4 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by khkco4bls; 04-07-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM
chris

Nice work Carlton!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Sorry for confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Here is one i own.1880s young ladies baseball club
Hey Kevin...I apolgize for that...the verbage of the title was confusing...when I said:

"c1896 cabinet photo of bicycle race broadside…Let’s see your photos of broadsides!"

I meant antique/vintage photos that show broadsides...so I changed it for clarity to:

"...Show your vintage photos of broadsides!"

Nevertheless I always like seeing antique/vintage broadsides so thanks for posting...that's an interesting one!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Kevin O'Gara

My bad..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Clint

Can't help with the broadside part but here is a photo that has Sanger in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 075.jpg (63.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Can't help with the broadside part but here is a photo that has Sanger in it.
What the heck!!!...wow that's incredible!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Madison Square Garden, the Mecca of boxing, This mailing card-backed picture of the second [1890-1925] stadium of that name caught my eye because of the lower corner of the building, which plainly shows advertising for the Jim Corbett-Charlie McCoy bout on August 30, 1900. Here is a close-up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Madison Square Garden, the Mecca of boxing, This mailing card-backed picture of the second [1890-1925] stadium of that name caught my eye because of the lower corner of the building, which plainly shows advertising for the Jim Corbett-Charlie McCoy bout on August 30, 1900. Here is a close-up.

Very cool...I've probably had a few of those over the years and never noticed.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Eddie Bald was also a famous racer. He went on as so many 1890's bicycle racers did to racing cars. Others who changed sports later went into some newfangled thing called "aeroplanes" Where the appearance money was often better than the already crazy pay for bicycle or car racers.

Here's an article about a guy who became a pro by beating Bald. Starting contract of 10K, plus 1500 in endorsements!

http://www.m-bike.org/blog/tags/eddie-bald/

I'd also love to find a cycling broadside, they're probably tougher than baseball ones.

Very cool picture.

Steve B
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default one of the biggest problems

is that generally they were too large to glue into albums and lacked graphic elements that would broaden the base of their desirability. A few should survive as part of family archive collections.
Super group photo. Bicycling was quite popular around the turn of the century. Major Taylor comes to mind. I'm probably mistaken as I'm old with CRS but I believe for a year or two he was the highest paid athlete in any sport. Probably open to interpretation or just wrong and no time to look :-) In general my experience is that aren't a lot of bicycle collectors and that they tend to be more fixed in terms of what they collect. Cheap too! I have some pins and sadly sold my Newsboy of Sanger. I have another Newsboy bicycle rider but off hand don't remember which one, a few smalls, and a few tintypes. One of my holy grails is to get a bonecrusher or other early form. Of course I run across them as often as the pillbox hat and fingerless glove I'm looking to display with my "orbs". Sorry to be off topic as usual. MAYBE SOMEONE COULD START A CYCLING THREAD - just for me! Sorry I have no advertising with bicycle broadsides.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Eddie Bald was also a famous racer. He went on as so many 1890's bicycle racers did to racing cars. Others who changed sports later went into some newfangled thing called "aeroplanes" Where the appearance money was often better than the already crazy pay for bicycle or car racers.

Here's an article about a guy who became a pro by beating Bald. Starting contract of 10K, plus 1500 in endorsements!

http://www.m-bike.org/blog/tags/eddie-bald/

I'd also love to find a cycling broadside, they're probably tougher than baseball ones.

Very cool picture.

Steve B
 photo TaggedPhoto3_zps18512442.jpg

Steve, Thanks...It was hard to make out but you gave me enough insight to determine the name left of Sanger is Bald...it appears the race wasn't just for some local riders, like I thought when I bought the photo...but was on a national level...

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2011_nat_carlton_buys.htm
Very good story in the link you provided...Coincidently at the 2011 National I bought a large advertising photo for "The White" brand bicycle (or perhaps tires) featuring Tom Cooper....he died in a car wreck in Central Park New York City...It's been a while since I researched him but as I recall he was racing someone when it happened...very early A.M...like after a night out on the town I think it was...

16" tall x 13 1/2" wide
TOM COOPER 1890's World Champion Bicycle Racer
1874-1906

Later switched to auto racing, teamed up with Barney Oldfield before forming partership with Henry Ford. Killed in off track auto accident in New York's Central Park November 16, 1906

Aprox. 40" x 30"

http://www.sportsantiques.com/whatsnewarchivepage.htm
Steve, you mentioned you'd love to find a cycling broadside...check out this one above I saw at a show in 2006...It was bought at the show by high profile dealer Peter Sidlow who I've seen around at shows the last 25 years....saw him once on pickers...you can read more about the poster at the bottom of the page in the link above.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 04-10-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's a really great one.

The closest I have is this

The thing on the left is a thin paper poster about 8 1/2 x11 showing German Alonso and Julio Capdepont who were apparently sponsored by Bianchi. They won the Uruguayan national championship in "inseparable pairs" which I think was a two person team time trial, in 1925. The other stuff is all Capdeponts. A photo, his racing license, and a few medals including the national champion medal.

What's a bit sad is that I got it all on Ebay from a seller in Uruguay, All individually, and for roughly the price of a nice lunch including the shipping.

Cycling was huge at the time. There were a couple competing top level circuits, both pro and amateur, often with little difference in the quality of competition. There were some regularly scheduled meets for the pros, and in between a lot of local races for the amateurs. The pro races usually had a full day of amateur racing the day before. The more local amateur races would hire pros to do special events like Balds record attempt, or a special head to head race. Top pros made very good money in appearance fees.

Steve B
Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Not a broadside, but a banner

Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Sweet!...California baseball...or at least left coast...at someplace named Crutes Park...

Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM
J@son M1ller

Chutes Park in Los Angeles was an amusement park that had a ballfield attached. First ballpark in Los Angeles for the PCL.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Chutes Park in Los Angeles was an amusement park that had a ballfield attached. First ballpark in Los Angeles for the PCL.
SHOOT THE CHUTES!!! A very popular amusement ride from the 1890s to early 1910s. Chris Von der Ahe the owner of the St Louis Browns (NL) installed a Shoot The Chutes ride in the outfield at Sportsman's Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shootthechutessmallow6.jpg (30.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 AM

Default neat collage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a really great one.

The closest I have is this

The thing on the left is a thin paper poster about 8 1/2 x11 showing German Alonso and Julio Capdepont who were apparently sponsored by Bianchi. They won the Uruguayan national championship in "inseparable pairs" which I think was a two person team time trial, in 1925. The other stuff is all Capdeponts. A photo, his racing license, and a few medals including the national champion medal.

What's a bit sad is that I got it all on Ebay from a seller in Uruguay, All individually, and for roughly the price of a nice lunch including the shipping.

Cycling was huge at the time. There were a couple competing top level circuits, both pro and amateur, often with little difference in the quality of competition. There were some regularly scheduled meets for the pros, and in between a lot of local races for the amateurs. The pro races usually had a full day of amateur racing the day before. The more local amateur races would hire pros to do special events like Balds record attempt, or a special head to head race. Top pros made very good money in appearance fees.

Steve B
http://www.sportsantiques.com/pg5brimstory.htm
Neat collage Steve...Since you like bike stuff take a look below at a generic c1920 26" tall Johnson and Johnson advertising display or kidney plaster I got at the 2011 Brimfield, link above to story