NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 AM
B.ob L.amb

Default SGC Gold Club "Specials"

If this is their attempt to compete with PSA and their Collector Club Specials this fails miserably, IMHO!

Monthly Grading Specials

September 2016 Grading Specials
•Non Gold Club Member Special:
$50 per card, 48 hour turnaround time. $5,000 max value per card.

Gold Member Club Specials

ONLY SGC GOLD CLUB MEMBERS MAY SUBMIT UNDER THESE SPECIALS.
FOR INFORMATION ON THE GOLD CLUB OR TO SIGN UP TODAY PLEASE CALL TOLL FREE AT (800)742-9212.
•Gold Club Standard Special:
For any standard issue card. $5 per card, 30 business day turnaround time. $100 max value per card.

Excludes: Cards requiring a custom cut insert & oversized cards (cards larger than 3 1/2 X 5 1/2.

Examples of standard issues are most Topps, Bowman, Fleer, Goudey, Diamond Stars, Leaf, Play Ball, Donruss, Score, Panini, T-Cards, E-Cards, etc..

•Gold Club Hat Trick Special:
$25 per card, 3 business day turnaround time. $2,000 max value per card.

Excludes: Oversized cards

Cards requiring a custom cut insert may be submitted on this special but will experience delays in the turnaround time.

•Gold Club Autograph Special:
Any standard certification (Sticker & Cert card or Encapsulation) $8 per item, minimum 20 items. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey signers only.

Excludes: Any autograph on the SGC list of premium signers, custom cut inserts (Encapsulation only), Oversized cards (Encapsulation only).

The Gold Club specials are for SGC Gold Club members ONLY. SGC reserves the right to correct the amount due on any submission that is sent in prior to the submitter calling to purchase a Gold Club membership.

For more information on the Gold Club please call (800)742-9212 and speak to Matt, Tyler, or Douglas.

•Specials may not be combined.
•Turnaround times are estimates.
•Specials do not apply to On-Site grading rates.
•Orders must be postmarked by the expiration date in order to receive the special
•Cards that require custom inserts cannot be included with these specials
•SGC accepts submissions from all customers. There are no special membership fees to submit cards.
•Questions on bulk-deals please call Sean Skeffington at 1-800-742-9212 ext. 106, or email Sean Skeffington.

Contact Us
Old 09-01-2016, 09:55 AM
B.ob L.amb

Let me just say that my disappointment is in the fact that after paying to become a gold club member( $125 or $300) their $5 special only allows you to submit cards up to $100. I guess if you want to submit T206 commons in lower grade this is a good deal. was just hoping for something better before I joined.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree. A $100 value limit on the $5 special is stupidly low for a company with a $hitty, basically non-existent registry. I can see PSA doing it to try and get people to put in their mainstream postwar cards for registry sets. I'd rather pay the extra buck a card for PSA's special just in case anything comes back a 9 or 10.

Not the way to build business and interest. About the same as PSA won't cut it. SGC has to be Avis: try harder.

I am not going to join the SGC club unless their specials are worthwhile. So far, not.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-01-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Well, in comparison, the PSA special for this month is $6.25 per card for prewar cards with 25 cards minimum, $100 declared value, and 50 business day turnaround. So in SGC's defense, they are cheaper and significantly faster than PSA.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

True, for prewar. I guess I could see sending in a boatload of Exhibits on the $5 deal.

Or not...
Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Luke Lyon

$5 with no minimum is really good. Not sure what more they could do on the low end. I guess it could be $4 and people would like it more, but $5 seems like a nice price to me.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Cheaper and faster than PSA. Not quite sure how this fails miserably. It sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The products aren't equivalents, Jesse. I don't see a dollar difference with the same value ceiling and faster (promised) turnaround as sufficient to differentiate from what PSA offers on its specials. It is basically a mainstream commons and minor stars special, and I don't see the value in sending that type of card to SGC; at PSA you might score a high grade worth real money to a registry geek. Now, with a $200 or $250 ceiling instead, it could really draw in all manner of superstar but lesser grade cards that really need to be slabbed to sell but that exceed the $100 limit at PSA.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-01-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think the $8 auto special is actually pretty nice. And the $5 special is pretty solid. If I had joined the SGC Club, I would be happy with those specials.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Fair enough Adam, I see your point. I still disagree though. 5 bucks to grade a card is very cheap. It's hard to imagine their costs between labor and materials are much less than that. The specials for faster service and more expensive cards don't look bad either.

You could certainly send 200 or 250 value cards and declare them at 100 bucks to take advantage of the special with either company. From my understanding this would only be an issue if your card is damaged by the TPG. Or if you really abuse that policy, for example declaring a CJ jackson at 100 bucks.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Paul

I joined at the Westchester show a couple of weeks ago to get a bunch of express grades. And with the special I am now considering sending in all of my raw T206 commons at $5 per. Definitely a good offer.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
And with the special I am now considering sending in all of my raw T206 commons at $5 per. Definitely a good offer.
Only problem in subbing your cards to SGC is that they will always come back in an SGC slab, not a PSA. The same graded card in PSA is usually going to sell for more. And, SGC apparently has either never seen, or doesn't know what an o/c card looks like. Have seen far too many 84 / 86 / 88 grades that are over graded due to being o/c.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Only problem in subbing your cards to SGC is that they will always come back in an SGC slab, not a PSA. The same graded card in PSA is usually going to sell for more. And, SGC apparently has either never seen, or doesn't know what an o/c card looks like. Have seen far too many 84 / 86 / 88 grades that are over graded due to being o/c.
My family and friends don't really think the amount of coin I spend on baseball cards is that absurd now that I explained how much people spend on little pieces of paper sometimes put in a plastic holder with baseball cards.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Paul

Quote:
I'm okay with fuzzy corners and minor centering issues - I can't live with the PSA 5s with wrinkles. And I am yet to find an SGC 60 with one!

@SignedT206
Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

PSA graded cards sometimes get a premium to SGC? Seriously? I need to look into this immediately. First I've heard of it.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
PSA graded cards sometimes get a premium to SGC? Seriously? I need to look into this immediately. First I've heard of it.
Believe it. A member on PSA is bragging about cracking out his SGC '9' and crossing it to PSA and snagging the exact same grade. His card just tripled in value! You rarely hear of people cracking out PSA cards to send to SGC. Very telling....
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Believe it. A member on PSA is bragging about cracking out his SGC '9' and crossing it to PSA and snagging the exact same grade. His card just tripled in value! You rarely hear of people cracking out PSA cards to send to SGC. Very telling....
Tripled? Really? I agree there is a difference in prices realized, but I've never heard or witnessed anything that extreme.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Tripled? Really? I agree there is a difference in prices realized, but I've never heard or witnessed anything that extreme.
Look at VCP. The data is all there. You can see the purchase price and you can see what PSA 9's typically sell for.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Robert

PSA certainly tightened up their shot group in regards to grading... ... From what I've seen in recently holstered cards
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Look at VCP. The data is all there. You can see the purchase price and you can see what PSA 9's typically sell for.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Purchase price has nothing to do with saying a PSA 9 realizes triple the value of an SGC 96. That is what it appeared to me you were saying the person was claiming.

Unless you're saying he purchased the SGC 96 for 1/3, but that seems more like a fluke great buy than anything consistent.

I sell both though I only use PSA for grading myself, because of the higher prices, but like I said I've never seen anything triple.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
I'm okay with fuzzy corners and minor centering issues - I can't live with the PSA 5s with wrinkles. And I am yet to find an SGC 60 with one!
Since they tightened their grading screws, don't think you will find any? many? PSA 5's with wrinkles, esp. on new flips with their logo.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Paul

Quote:
Since they tightened their grading screws, don't think you will find any? many? PSA 5's with wrinkles, esp. on new flips with their logo.
Don't you understand that in a few years they will change their flips again (or add .25 scale) and then encourage people to keep re-holdering their collection "to keep up with" current grading standards? How people fall for that is beyond me. SGC does the same thing, and it boggles my mind.

But, in this case, what you're saying, is PSA grabbed a significant market share over the past two decades based on over-grading. So don't trust PSA, unless there is a hologram on the flip. Maybe if you look closely at the hologram, it says: "PSA: This Time We've Tightened Our Grading Screws."

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, I just compared what I collect -- both PSA 5 and SGC 60 T206 cards -- on ebay. I see no evidence that PSA 5 T206s are doing better than SGC 60 T206s at market. See for yourself here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=..._skc=100&rt=nc

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-02-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Jason Wells

I like the specials. Only problem is I jumped the gun and send a batch for grading under the 7/card special before they announced the member specials. Oh well im looking forward to getting the sub back.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM
B.ob L.amb

I think that even a $6/$250 max/30 day would have been a better splash to kick start their Gold Club and gain some market share. I mean they are grading the condition of a piece of cardboard, regardless of value. We pay the return insurance so there is no liability there. For a $250 threshold I believe they would have seen a large increase in submissions.

This is great for some. T206Collector contemplating sending a large number of low value T206 cards makes sense to him at $5.

I agree that the $8 autograph authentication is a nice deal if that is your thing.

Just disappointed that before the Gold Club they ran specials for $6-8 per with a $100 threshold and no membership was required. So by becoming a Gold Club Member you get a few vouchers plus you can send the same cards for a couple dollar discount over their previous specials.

Their Non Member $50/2 day special is probably something I would never have a use for.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I like the specials. Only problem is I jumped the gun and send a batch for grading under the 7/card special before they announced the member specials. Oh well im looking forward to getting the sub back.
Hey there Jason,

KeepiN Everthin iN Perspective...
SGC's Customer Service is Heads Above the Rest!
I'd Give'em a Call, I'm Sure They'll Understand
And Compensate You the Best they are able to!
Truly can't hurt... RiGHT!?!?

I'm Gunna wait a bit and Join as Need be...
SGC is Still evolving inta what the forefront Will
And Should LooK Like iN the time to come...

Of Course THiS JuST One Irishmen's Humble Opinion
Old 09-03-2016, 04:24 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
As the population of PSA cards is significantly higher for any given issue - I routinely search out good deals on PSA slabs and submit to SGC for crossover. The only problem I have is that my successful crossover rate (PSA to SGC) runs around 50% success.

However the resale of "non crossable" PSA Slabs is never a problem. For this reason - I dont crack - just send slabs for crossover.

Note that my collecting interests are post war mid 50s. BTW - I havent seen much difference in success even with the new PSA "Hologram" slabs.

Not looking for flames - just posting my personal experience. In my mind SGC hands down offers a more consistently graded product in a better looking holder.

SGC Gold Club -Not a fan but thats another post.

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 09-03-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
As the population of PSA cards is significantly higher for any given issue - I routinely search out good deals on PSA slabs and submit to SGC for crossover. The only problem I have is that my successful crossover rate (PSA to SGC) runs around 50% success.

However the resale of "non crossable" PSA Slabs is never a problem. For this reason - I dont crack - just send slabs for crossover.

Note that my collecting interests are post war mid 50s. BTW - I havent seen much difference in success even with the new PSA "Hologram" slabs.

Not looking for flames - just posting my personal experience. In my mind SGC hands down offers a more consistently graded product in a better looking holder.

SGC Gold Club -Not a fan but thats another post.

And therein lies the rub. A successful crossover rate from SGC to PSA is also around 40-50%. It seems like these two companies refuse to accept the others work as valid. You also get the same thing in the art industry. I watched an episode of "Fake or Fortune" where one art gallery said a painting was a Renoir, and their competition refused to acknowledge it as such. It's like these two card grading giants refuse to acknowledge that their competitor is any good.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
And therein lies the rub. A successful crossover rate from SGC to PSA is also around 40-50%. It seems like these two companies refuse to accept the others work as valid. You also get the same thing in the art industry. I watched an episode of "Fake or Fortune" where one art gallery said a painting was a Renoir, and their competition refused to acknowledge it as such. It's like these two card grading giants refuse to acknowledge that their competitor is any good.
I think the bad crossover rate is because they grade so much differently. SGC gives a little more on off center and PSA gives a little more for wrinkles. There are a few other differences but those seem to be the main two.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:

+1
Old 11-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Further discussion

I am bringing this thread back to the top to see what our members think *now* of the SGC membership club.

It's been a few months since it was introduced...do you think it's worth it?
I am considering joining.

I have quite a few SGC cards , all of my prewar sets and HOF singles for example.
It's been a relatively slow Prewar year for me, but I have gathered up a stash of cards that I would like to slab.

Any new experiences with the Gold club (or whatever it's called) that you care to share?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Ken McMillan

Talked to SGC the other day and on the 125 dollar membership, the 10 cards are submitted as 2 5 card vouchers for submission. Probably an average deal overall and if you submitted frequently might pay for itself. For us little guys nothing spectacular here. With all this said, you do get a free tshirt. LOL
Old 11-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Glyn Parson

Default sounds like ok deal

the $5 deal doesn't sound to bad. I wonder why add this though when it is one of the biggest gripes people had about PSA. Having to join to get the best prices.

Last edited by glynparson; 11-20-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
the $5 deal doesn't sound to bad. I wonder why add this though when it is one of the biggest gripes people had about PSA. Having to join to get the best prices.
Clubs aren't a bad idea to potentially increase revenue and loyalty. I will be sending in a submission very soon to keep my 17 yrs straight of submitting to them...

Invoice No Date Received Date Shipped Total Items
83161 7/2/2015 7/6/2015 1
83089 1/22/2015 2/3/2015 27
83087 1/16/2015 2/3/2015 19
83060 11/7/2014 11/20/2014 8
13620 8/1/2014 1
83009 7/2/2014 5/21/2015 17
83004 6/3/2014 6/6/2014 4
82197 1/28/2014 2/7/2014 25
82185 12/30/2013 1/28/2014 32
13532 8/5/2013 8/7/2013 2
82081 12/10/2012 12/17/2012 32
12952 8/6/2012 8/31/2012 20
82041 6/11/2012 6/20/2012 12
81990 12/1/2011 12/12/2011 14
12901 11/12/2011 11/14/2011 5
12877 8/4/2011 8/9/2011 13
81879 8/23/2010 9/2/2010 24
81875 8/9/2010 9/2/2010 9
12706 2/3/2010 2/4/2010 5
12752 12/21/2009 1/6/2010 13
12759 12/7/2009 12/15/2009 11
12759 12/6/2009 12/7/2009 2
12710 8/1/2009 8/1/2009 9
12707 7/30/2009 7/31/2009 1
12645 6/23/2009 6/25/2009 3
81774 5/18/2009 5/29/2009 5
81771 5/4/2009 5/14/2009 9
12644 3/26/2009 4/9/2009 19
81735 12/9/2008 12/23/2008 57
81721 10/8/2008 10/22/2008 11
81716 9/16/2008 9/30/2008 3
81709 8/20/2008 9/4/2008 14
81701 7/17/2008 7/30/2008 34
81682 4/25/2008 5/8/2008 23
12412 3/28/2008 4/16/2008 19
81659 2/6/2008 2/6/2008 1
12505 12/21/2007 12/31/2007 2
12519 /19/2007 11/27/2007 7
12507 10/5/2007 10/8/2007 1
81626 9/4/2007 9/14/2007 25
12433 4/5/2007 4/16/2007 6
12317 12/27/2006 1/9/2007 1
12481 12/21/2006 1
12316 11/17/2006 12/6/2006 11
12232 10/13/2006 10/23/2006 15
12232 9/27/2006 10/12/2006 6
81571 8/17/2006 8/31/2006 6
12334 /27/2006 8/11/2006 1
12399 6/14/2006 6/20/2006 46
12397 6/2/2006 6/12/2006 18
81759 4/18/2006 4/21/2006 20
81733 4/4/2006 4/6/2006 1
81531 2/8/2006 3/1/2006 6
12324 1/20/2006 1/20/2006 1
12339 1/17/2006 2/1/2006 2
81523 12/28/2005 1/4/2006 4
81521 1/30/2005 12/7/2005 20
12242 11/10/2005 11/11/2005 1
12243 10/17/2005 11/1/2005 9
81514 10/5/2005 10/14/2005 5
81511 9/8/2005 9/27/2005 13
12295 7/28/2005 8/3/2005 1
12295 7/28/2005 8/4/2005 9
81479 3/23/2005 4/8/2005 13
81464 1/11/2005 1/11/2005 1
81602 11/16/2004 11/17/2004 1
81575 10/20/2004 10/27/2004 13
81575 10/20/2004 11/2/2004 15
81565 10/7/2004 10/12/2004 3
12193 7/24/2004 7/24/2004 1
12192 7/23/2004 7/28/2004 8
81390 3/11/2004 3/16/2004 18
81348 1/30/2004 2/9/2004 9
81324 1/5/2004 1/8/2004 2
81289 10/13/2003 11/14/2003 128
12062 7/25/2003 9/16/2003 51
80925 9/12/2002 9/12/2002 1
11835 8/11/2002 8/14/2002 5
11930 8/8/2002 8/13/2002 1
80595 10/25/2001 10/30/2001 1
80546 9/12/2001 9/12/2001 1
11674 6/30/2001 7/1/2001 5
10923 1/8/2000 1/12/2000 1
80071 12/21/1999 12/23/1999 6
80033 9/20/1999 9/21/1999 7

Last edited by Leon; 11-20-2016 at 12:16 PM.