NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Yaz's grandson to make MLB debut with Giants

After more than six years in the minor leagues, Mike Yastrzemski -- the grandson of Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski -- will make his major league debut Saturday after being called up for the first time.

Yastrzemski will start in left field for the San Francisco Giants and will bat seventh against the Arizona Diamondbacks.-espn
Old 05-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I got to watch him play a lot in the Orioles minor leagues and always thought he'd make a fine 4th outfielder. Nice guy too, glad to see his years of grinding pay off.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 AM
Barry Sloate

When I used to own a weekend home out in eastern Long Island, I would often drive through the town of Bridgehampton and down a bucolic street called Cook's Lane. There were turn of the century wooden homes lined up on one side, and a big cornfield on the other.

Yaz grew up in Bridgehampton, and was a baseball phenom there in the early fifties. And one of those homes on Cook's Lane had a sign nailed to a tree which read "Yazberry Farms." I never learned if that was Yaz's birthplace, a cousin's home, or just a tribute to a local hero. But I always made sure to catch it when I drove by.

Hope Mike makes it in the bigs as I am also a lifelong Giants fan.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Mike has had a great start to his mlb career. He’s been productive and the giants put him in the #2 slot. I got to see him in Baltimore Saturday. Very happy for him.
FFD9D1A6-9202-4520-B25E-98C50BE4A623.jpg
Old 06-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Barry Sloate

Adam- how are you related?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Evan

Always hoped the O's would call him up and give him a chance. Had some decent minor league seasons.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is a photo I took of Mike back in 2013 right after he was drafted out of Vanderbilt with the Class A Aberdeen Ironbirds and the other is one I took of him last Sunday when the Giants were in Baltimore:

Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Adam- how are you related?
Carl’s father and my grandfather are brothers.

Saw mike at Citi too. Great to have another Yastrzemski in the majors. I have to make room for Giants gear with my Sox stuff.
2243E851-4248-4438-AFF9-1DB024DFA036.jpg
Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Carl’s father and my grandfather are brothers.

Saw mike at Citi too. Great to have another Yastrzemski in the majors. I have to make room for Giants gear with my Sox stuff.
Attachment 356309
I think that makes you first cousins once removed? I never get that right.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:44 AM
Barry Sloate

Mike is off to a sensational start, capped by a three home run game last night. He certainly has his grandfather's genes.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Scott Russell

As a 28 Year old rookie whose minor league numbers don't back up his major league production (he's got more HR's in 70 games in the majors than he ever had in a full season in the minors) I have to be skeptical that he's the real deal, but it's been fun to follow.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Jason Wells

I got to see him the last two years play against the Giants organization in Double A here in RVA. In regards to his HR numbers, I think he is one of those late bloomers that found the power swing ala' Jose Bautista. If he would have stayed the year in Sacramento he would have hit over 30 bombs. I believe he had 13-14 at the time of his call up without referencing Baseball Reference.

Last edited by Jason; 08-21-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Just to throw cards into the mix- here is the Mike Yastrzemski rainbow.

4C7F7151-6B0B-41D5-9440-41B0EDA8816A.jpg
Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Barry Sloate

He's batting .282 with 17 HR's and 47 RBI's in an abbreviated season, and is slugging .560.

And tomorrow is his birthday.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Scott Russell

Just sayin, guys who turn 29 in their rookie season rarely turn out to have much of a career. Bautista was a solid Major Leaguer at 25. The 29 year old power surge was weird and if it hadn't happened in the era of drug testing I'd have been incredibly suspicious.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just sayin, guys who turn 29 in their rookie season rarely turn out to have much of a career. Bautista was a solid Major Leaguer at 25. The 29 year old power surge was weird and if it hadn't happened in the era of drug testing I'd have been incredibly suspicious.
Agreed. He is quite old for a rookie.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Garth Guibord

No doubt, I don’t think anyone really thinks he’s the next great player. But it’s a great story, and that’s one great thing about baseball, it lends itself to some great stories. Reminds me a bit of Daniel Nava, who was also a great story and also never going to be a superstar. But he put in a few good years, against the odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I am a distant relative of Mike - I’ve never met him. But it is still exciting to have family playing in mlb and I have been following him since he was drafted. While I appreciate that the Orioles drafted him and worked with him to develop his game, my personal feeling is that the Orioles farm system is a pit of despair. The best thing that could have happened to Mike is that he was traded to the Giants. Mike spent 6 years with the Os - after less than 2 months with the Giants he was in the majors. If you look back at the Orioles top prospects, they are the same year after year. Ryan Mountcastle, Hunter Harvey, Austin Hays, DL Hall, Cody Sedlock, etc have been prospects for years. This is a team that is going nowhere and has nothing to lose. For some reason, they won’t give their kids a chance. Sometimes your prospects will surprise you if they get the opportunity and have a sense of hope.

I hope Mike can put together a few good years. He may be able to put together 10 years if he’s lucky. I’m happy for him being able to achieve his dream. Getting there late is better than never. Our family is proud of him and we love watching him play.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Scott Russell

It's a great story, even as a Dodger fan I can appreciate it, just in all likelihood not an indicator of his future. There are exceptions to every rule, and I think it's cool that he kept going past the age where his father hung up his cleats (with strikingly similar minor league numbers I might add) and has been rewarded for his dedication.