NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Jason

Default Graig, you know what you could have suggested....

With that T206 Wagner commission?? Oh this would have made for SUCH a cool piece!

Paint Honus posing in the artist's studio for the portrait that was used to make the card. Now, while the original was a Horner cabinet (is that right?), wouldn't that be a fun piece, to re-create a scene where the T206 card was being painted, and Honus himself was sitting for the work in the studio? That way you could have taken license with the rest of his body and clothing as he sat there, as well as re-created what an artist's studio might have looked like at the time!
It would be like taking a picture of the scene when the card was created.
Well, maybe that's a little corny or folksy, but you could probably have some fun with that. could probably apply that concept to some other baseball scnes of the past century as well...might require some thought, though.

excellent work, once again, by the way. and thank you again for continuing to share these and your thoughts with us...
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Graig Kreindler

Jason,

I agree with you 199%. 1999% even. I actually brought that up to the client when he approached me, but he didn't seem interested. For whatever reason, I guess he had some money and just wanted to have somewhat of a companion piece to his friend's (who bought the SGC 4), as he couldn't afford the $925,000 for another one.

But what you bring up is actually what I plan on doing. I really like the idea of doing the original photos used for cards, especially that Horner portrait. Painting the actual scene of Honus sitting there having his photo taken is MUCH more appealing than painting the card itself. I know that I'll also do a painting of the image used for the '52 Topps Mantle and treat it the same way. It's cool to take those iconic images and paint them as they were seen with human eyes, not through a camera, or on a card. Now, I just need to find the time to do all of this stuff!!

Either way, thanks for the input, as well as the compliments. I'm just so glad that people don't yell at me for wasting space on the board! I'll keep posting as long as you will keep enjoying it. Which I hope you will.

Graig
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Jason,

I agree with you 199%. 1999% even. I actually brought that up to the client when he approached me, but he didn't seem interested. For whatever reason, I guess he had some money and just wanted to have somewhat of a companion piece to his friend's (who bought the SGC 4), as he couldn't afford the $925,000 for another one.

But what you bring up is actually what I plan on doing. I really like the idea of doing the original photos used for cards, especially that Horner portrait. Painting the actual scene of Honus sitting there having his photo taken is MUCH more appealing than painting the card itself. I know that I'll also do a painting of the image used for the '52 Topps Mantle and treat it the same way. It's cool to take those iconic images and paint them as they were seen with human eyes, not through a camera, or on a card. Now, I just need to find the time to do all of this stuff!!

Either way, thanks for the input, as well as the compliments. I'm just so glad that people don't yell at me for wasting space on the board! I'll keep posting as long as you will keep enjoying it. Which I hope you will.

Graig
Wasting space???? Are you kidding me?????
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Scott

Graig's work is exemplary and incredible, and he certainly isn't wasting space. Honestly tho, the comments about criticisms and I hope I'm doing the picture Justice do get a bit old.

I mean, I know there's being modest, but lets not get crazy. An Incredible talent is just that.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Sean Brennan

so um...when you gonna do some affordable wee little paintings for us cheapskates?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Sean Brennan

seriously though I think you are my official fave baseball painter. There are a few other good painters out there but yours seems to lack pretentiousness which seems to be quite a hard thing to accomplish. I can actually look real quick at one of your paintings and for a second make myself think its a real picture. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for those nice words, milkit1. I'm hoping to have some smaller things for sale in the future, though I just don't know when. I'm pretty backed up on commissions so there's not much time lately to do stuff for the inventory. Every now and then though, I'll start something small to have a nice break from whatever I'm painting, and can come back to it for a couple of hours every so often. And I promise, one day it will be a Hal Chase!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Jason,

But what you bring up is actually what I plan on doing. I really like the idea of doing the original photos used for cards, especially that Horner portrait. Painting the actual scene of Honus sitting there having his photo taken is MUCH more appealing than painting the card itself.
FYI, Here is one artist's interpretation of that scene.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=14429
Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Rob G.

Default wow

Graig, terrific work! If (and I just may!) I printed a color picture of the scans u've put up in this thread, they'd look better than any other sports photo or card that i own! Especially the matty, jackson, and wagner batter. They are truly amazing!

Keep the scans coming, very enjoyable!

Rob
Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, Rob! I'm glad you're enjoying the work!! Now, if I can only get the paintings to rise in price like the original cards of the guys you just mentioned.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I've been working on this Gehrig piece a bit, and it's almost there. The surface is a little bit smoother than I normally like, so the paint is handling itself a little differently than what I'm used to, but I think I'm starting to pull it out.

I'm starting to think that a whole series on Gehrig's day at Briggs might be just as powerful as one from his farewell day. Actually, I'm sure I'll end up doing all of them anyways. That is, when I get the time.

I'll be getting the Bobby Jones painting professionally shot later this week, so I'm hoping to have that posted soon as well. From then on, more commissions, including some for fellow board members.

Hope y'all dig!

Graig
Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Hey all,

I've been working on this Gehrig piece a bit, and it's almost there. The surface is a little bit smoother than I normally like, so the paint is handling itself a little differently than what I'm used to, but I think I'm starting to pull it out.

I'm starting to think that a whole series on Gehrig's day at Briggs might be just as powerful as one from his farewell day. Actually, I'm sure I'll end up doing all of them anyways. That is, when I get the time.

I'll be getting the Bobby Jones painting professionally shot later this week, so I'm hoping to have that posted soon as well. From then on, more commissions, including some for fellow board members.

Hope y'all dig!

Graig
----------------------
WOW dude....this is going to be a good one....

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection