NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Kreindler vs......

I stumbled upon two images the day of cobb's death 51 years ago. I know the second artist is very accomplished and probably a great fella but man..
I know now, without of shadow of a doubt, who the best sports artist alive is on this day.
This was very eye opening to me. GK .. you are the shiznit!! Just leaps and bounds beyond everyone else sir.. VERY IMPRESSIVE. RIP TYRUS

http://www.graigkreindler.com/paintings/cobb1910.html

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDeta...ece-in-%22The-

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Agreed. The detail in Graig's is incredible. Almost photo-like.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Agreed. The detail in Graig's is incredible. Almost photo-like.
Not to mention accurate as far as colors, shadowing, weather, ect.
Simply the best in talent, research and being small in stature. A TRUE TRIPLE THREAT!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Phil Nap

I'd have to agree. Legendary dropped the ball and partnered with the wrong artist on this project. The Conlon's Graig has done to date are just spectacular.

This is coming from someone who owns several Dick Perez originals.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
qualitycards

I like Graig's piece better too!
And like that Graig pictured an outfielder, when Dick chose not to
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default What a waste...

It's too bad they decide to waste Conlon's artistic brilliance on Perez!
I've never really thought much of Perez's art. I've always thought it had a cartoony quality to it. This painting is no different.
What I mean s that this one looks like a painting of a picture rather than a real life image. Most of Graig's work is so realistic it is simply incredible.
It's just a shame. Conlon deserves better.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Banned

Let's not kill perez, he has his own style. two different artists. They're not trying to paint it the same way. They are both better than me.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-18-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
It's too bad they decide to waste Conlon's artistic brilliance on Perez!
I've never really thought much of Perez's art. I've always thought it had a cartoony quality to it. This painting is no different.
What I mean s that this one looks like a painting of a picture rather than a real life image. Most of Graig's work is so realistic it is simply incredible.
It's just a shame. Conlon deserves better.

Best,
Mark
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Travis,
My point was not to run down Perez. He is certainly a fine artist. I do realize they each have a different style. My tone is a reflection of my personal comparison of his work to Graig's.
As the appreciation of art is subjective, it is my opinion that the brilliance of Conlon's photos is wasted on Dick Perez. This is not because he can't paint. IMHO, Conlon could somehow capture the soul of the subject. It's difficult for me to explain in a better way. There is an emotional gut response I have to them. Graig's work evokes the same visceral response. He breathes life into the pictures. Perez's work doesn't capture is.
My description of Perez's work as cartoony sounded harsh. I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant is that they look like someone drew/painted them. They look like illustrations.
Edit to Add: Had I never seen Graig's work to compare, I probably would think that Perez's version of Ty sliding was magnificent. It's just once I compare the two, IMHO, it pales.

Conlon

Perez

Kreindler

Who would you have chosen? Sounds like a good poll question.

Do I think Dick Perez is a bad artist? Absolutely not.
Do I think Graig is a better artist? Absolutely.
Are they both better than most of us here? Of course.

Best,
Mark

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-18-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Travis,
My point was not to run down Perez. He is certainly a fine artist. I do realize they each have a different style. My tone is a reflection of my personal comparison of his work to Graig's.
As the appreciation of art is subjective, it is my opinion that the brilliance of Conlon's photos is wasted on Dick Perez. This is not because he can't paint. IMHO, Conlon could somehow capture the soul of the subject. It's difficult for me to explain in a better way. There is an emotional gut response I have to them. Graig's work evokes the same visceral response. He breathes life into the pictures. Perez's work doesn't capture is.
My description of Perez's work as cartoony sounded harsh. I didn't mean it as an insult. What I meant is that they look like someone drew/painted them. They look like illustrations.
Edit to Add: Had I never seen Graig's work to compare, I probably would think that Perez's version of Ty sliding was magnificent. It's just once I compare the two, IMHO, it pales.

Best,
Mark
Mark. You should know by now that you can't reason with Travis...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Let's not kill perez, he has his own style. two different artists. They're not trying to paint it the same way. They are both better than me.
I agree with Travis although I prefer Graig's more realistic approach versus Perez's more colorful approach. That being said I would buy the Perez if I could afford it. Still a very nice painting.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Okay, I don't mean any offense by this, but what is the purpose of these "like" posts? We get it -- you like it, but what did you really add to the discussion?

Is this Facebook, or a sportscard forum? Nothing personal, but these "like" posts and "+1" posts offer nothing of interest to other readers, and they just clog up threads with useless posts of affirmation.

Great. Now I'm becoming part of the "get off my lawn" crowd.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
James Wymer

I actually like the +1 and likes because that gives a person the opportunity to agree with something without taking the time to do a bunch of typing. Just a counterpoint you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Max Weder

delete

Last edited by baseballart; 07-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Dan Bretta

I've never thought of art as a competition...I think both are amazing, but Graig brings a painting to life like I've never seen before.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM

When you think of quality collectibles, you think of Legendary (I guess) and while Perez has had his day in the sun, you would think that an auction outfit as big as them would recognize the Mike Trout of sports art, not the Manny Ramirez.

I'm not taking away anything from Perez (I own one and I'm happy with it), but a lot of his post-early Perez Steele art (IMO) is "cartoonish", not realistic and doesn't compare.

While this Dick Perez Ty Cobb shown isn't the worst thing in the world, when you put it side by side with the Kreindler, there is no comparison at all.

That Kreindler is off the hook, and he is one little talented bastard.

DanC
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Max Weder

I originally posted this, thinking it was Cobb sliding and a vintage comparison to the two paintings. It's from the dust jacket of the 1933 Who's Who in Major League Baseball. However, while the fielder is clearly from the image, the sliding player isn't Cobb, the umpire is in a different spot and the stands are different.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I actually like the +1 and likes because that gives a person the opportunity to agree with something without taking the time to do a bunch of typing. Just a counterpoint you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Yeah, to each their own. I'm definitely not going to lose sleep over it, and didn't intend to single out thekingofclout -- those types of posts just leave me perplexed, I suppose, and I had to ask the purpose.

Life goes on....

...and Kreindler is still the best sports artist out there.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Okay, I don't mean any offense by this, but what is the purpose of these "like" posts? We get it -- you like it, but what did you really add to the discussion?

Is this Facebook, or a sportscard forum? Nothing personal, but these "like" posts and "+1" posts offer nothing of interest to other readers, and they just clog up threads with useless posts of affirmation.

Quote:
Yeah, to each their own. I'm definitely not going to lose sleep over it, and didn't intend to single out thekingofclout -- those types of posts just leave me perplexed, I suppose, and I had to ask the purpose.

Life goes on....

...and Kreindler is still the best sports artist out there.

I'll tell you what Chuck. Before you say that I "offer nothing of interest to other readers" why don't you check all of the threads that I've started over the last 3+ years.

And although you claim that you "didn't intend to single out the kingofclout" that is exactly what you did.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Scott

Mr. Kreindler's work is AMAZING, as has been said in MANY threads over the time..
Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:

Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'll tell you what Chuck. Before you say that I "offer nothing of interest to other readers" why don't you check all of the threads that I've started over the last 3+ years.

And although you claim that you "didn't intend to single out the kingofclout" that is exactly what you did.
I just checked them, and all I can say is...

Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM

PM was sent to thekingofclout a couple days ago with an apology. I should've started a separate thread asking about the real purpose of "like" posts, rather than clogging up this thread and singling him out. My bad.

And I never doubted or called into question theking's contributions or place on this board. My comment was specifically about his, or anyone's, "like" posts. I'll just skip over those posts and not let them bug me so much.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Travis,

Conlon

Perez

Kreindler

Best,
Mark

I had a longer diatribe type rant on here, but i took it off, and make it simple.

they are two different styles. i appreciate your personal preference of kreindler. its mine too. i was just saying that saying he is cleary better is trying to cross compare difference styles which isnt really fair. if they were both trying for realism , i would agree, but i dont think perez was trying for that.

van gogh and picasso and dali and monet would fall short to someone trying to paint it as we see it if that was the way we compared everything. a lot of people love realism better than impressionism or cubism and other styles and i dont know what you would call perez style, or rockwell's but i dont think it is exact realism so comparison turns into personal preference because the styles aren't comparable unless you think perez tried for realism only. i just dont think he did. okay i am done.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-20-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

How come the umpire isn't more on top of the play? It looks like he is over 15 feet away (whether you look at the Conlon, the Kreindler or the Perez).

Was that the norm back then? Nowadays, he would be much closer to the play, and hopefully have a better angle.

How's that for changing gears? FWIW, I would "kill" to own the Kreindler, but can appreciate both styles.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-21-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
How come the umpire isn't more on top of the play? It looks like he is over 15 feet away (whether you look at the Conlon, the Kreindler or the Perez).

Was that the norm back then? Nowadays, he would be much closer to the play, and hopefully have a better angle.

How's that for changing gears? FWIW, I would "kill" to own the Kreindler, but can appreciate both styles.
Mark, I think it's because they had fewer umpires, so he might have been out near the outfield watching other base-runners.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ahhh... interesting.... thanks Scott!

Just curious now - how many umps patrolled the field back then (and when did it change to its present form?)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

"The size of umpiring staffs was also increased. The two-umpire system was the norm during the 1920s, but it became common practice to assign one of the reserve umpires to critical games or series; by 1933 three umpires were assigned routinely to regular-season games. The four-man crew was instituted in 1952. In the World Series the two-man crew, one umpire from each league, was used until 1908, when a pair of two-man teams alternated games. In the third game of the 1909 Series, all four umpires were on the field at the same time, thus establishing the four-umpire tradition that continued through 1946; in 1947 an "alternate" umpire from each league was stationed along a foul line in the outfield, thus creating the current six-umpire crew. Four umpires worked the All-Star Game from 1933 to 1948; the following year it conformed to the World Series format in putting the alternates on the field."
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Jim Murphy

the Perez is my choice
Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
the Perez is my choice
Interesting .. What do you like about the Perez?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Even though there are some tremendous sport artists out there, when it comes to baseball, I firmly believe that Graig is the most talented artist painting today.

What he brings as far as pure talent, as well as the research that he injects into his work, makes him tops in my book.

Keep 'em coming, Graig!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Even though there are some tremendous sport artists out there, when it comes to baseball, I firmly believe that Graig is the most talented artist painting today.

What he brings as far as pure talent, as well as the research that he injects into his work, makes him tops in my book.

Keep 'em coming, Graig!
I love Graigs work as well. However, the beauty of all things is in the eye of the beholder. I could not afford the work of Kriedler or Perez. However, if I could I would buy an original Kadir Nelson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k4.jpg (70.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg k2.jpg (73.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg k5.jpg (63.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg k1.jpg (82.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg k3.jpg (80.0 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by 71buc; 07-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Mike, those are amazing. Realism and style aside, this guy really captures the 'soul'. In the end, art preference is a personal thing.

Last edited by Runscott; 07-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Mike, those are amazing. Realism and style aside, this guy really captures the 'soul'. In the end, art preference is a personal thing.
I agree, Scott. Mike, these paintings are a thing of beauty.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:10 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
I had a longer diatribe type rant on here, but i took it off, and make it simple.

they are two different styles. i appreciate your personal preference of kreindler. its mine too. i was just saying that saying he is cleary better is trying to cross compare difference styles which isnt really fair. if they were both trying for realism , i would agree, but i dont think perez was trying for that.

van gogh and picasso and dali and monet would fall short to someone trying to paint it as we see it if that was the way we compared everything. a lot of people love realism better than impressionism or cubism and other styles and i dont know what you would call perez style, or rockwell's but i dont think it is exact realism so comparison turns into personal preference because the styles aren't comparable unless you think perez tried for realism only. i just dont think he did. okay i am done.
Travis,
I did read your original answer as well as this one.

I don't think we should all have to spell out in each of our answers that the contents of that answer represents our opinion. I would think it is a given. Despite that, I did acknowledge in my answer to your initial post that art appreciation is subjective.

For me, art is about my emotional response to the item. This goes for music, painting, sculpture, written words, movies, and everything else. Does the art speak to me or move me in some way.

While realism in painting is my preference, I'm not knocking others(Perez) because they aren't realistic. I may be critical or think less of their art because they don't move me in any meaningful way. IMHO, Van Gogh, Monet, and a whole host of other artists, while not realistic, still evoke a powerful emotional response. I don't care for Dali or Picasso because they really don't make me feel anything.

As I said previously, to me,and many others, Conlon's pictures really bring to the forefront an emotional response. Graig's artwork art does the same thing. If Conlon's pictures capture the soul of the subject then I would say Graig's painting breathes life into it.

To me, Perez's work, while attractive and colorful, doesn't really bring any emotion to the table. This is why I stated what I did in my original post.

Along the same lines, Kadir Nelson's paintings are fantastic. I agree with both Scotts that they are very beautiful. I think Scott F's description was perfect. They are very soulful. Thanks for posting them Mike.

Best,
Mark

Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Travis,
I did read your original answer as well as this one.

I don't think we should all have to spell out in each of our answers that the contents of that answer represents our opinion. I would think it is a given. Despite that, I did acknowledge in my answer to your initial post that art appreciation is subjective.

For me, art is about my emotional response to the item. This goes for music, painting, sculpture, written words, movies, and everything else. Does the art speak to me or move me in some way.

While realism in painting is my preference, I'm not knocking others(Perez) because they aren't realistic. I may be critical or think less of their art because they don't move me in any meaningful way. IMHO, Van Gogh, Monet, and a whole host of other artists, while not realistic, still evoke a powerful emotional response. I don't care for Dali or Picasso because they really don't make me feel anything.

As I said previously, to me,and many others, Conlon's pictures really bring to the forefront an emotional response. Graig's artwork art does the same thing. If Conlon's pictures capture the soul of the subject then I would say Graig's painting breathes life into it.

To me, Perez's work, while attractive and colorful, doesn't really bring any emotion to the table. This is why I stated what I did in my original post.

Along the same lines, Kadir Nelson's paintings are fantastic. I agree with both Scotts that they are very beautiful. I think Scott F's description was perfect. They are very soulful. Thanks for posting them Mike.

Best,
Mark
Mark. I tried telling you...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
If Conlon's pictures capture the soul of the subject then I would say Graig's painting breathes life into it.
Well said! I think this is my favorite Net54 quote in recent memory!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Mark. I tried telling you...
Jimmy,
It's OK. I have no problem with honest discussion and debate. I like hearing others opinions. It helps me understand them better and sometimes learn something new.
It's really unfortunate when things get heated. I don't like it when disagreement turns into personal attacks. Once that happens, all hope of exchanging meaningful information becomes lost.
Best,
Mark

Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I love Graigs work as well. However, the beauty of all things is in the eye of the beholder. I could not afford the work of Kriedler or Perez. However, if I could I would buy an original Kadir Nelson.
For realism I still put Mr. Kriedler at the top of my list but the Kadir Nelson's you posted are beyond exceptional.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I REALLY appreciate all of the nice things said about me on this thread, but I have to leave it at that in regards to me.

What I really wanted to say is that if you haven't done so, Kadir Nelson's work is DEFINITELY worth seeing. He does some beautiful stuff.

I remember when I first got to art school, he was graduating from Pratt I think, as I saw one of his paintings in the annual Society of Illustrators student competition. Since then, he's just matured into an absolute monster. His book We Are the Ship is also a absolute must for ALL baseball fans:

http://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Ship-Le.../dp/0786808322

I learned last year that one of his teachers at Pratt was one that I had (and still remain very close with) at the School of Visual Arts as well, so I think we tend to think about some aspects of our subjects pretty similarly. It's all VERY much about light.

Check out this Babe Ruth painting he did for Sports Illustrated a decade ago (sorry, I didn't have a proper JPEG):

The man's a mutant. Definitely look him up.

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 07-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
The man's a mutant. Definitely look him up.

Graig
As is his depiction of the Babe!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM

I just wish I could get a professional print of some of Greg's paintings. I can't afford an original right now, but I'd be all over a print of the Cobb sliding as well as several others if they were available.
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums