NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default Need Help Identifying this Horner photo

Posted By: prewarsports

I just picked up 2 cabinet photos in Chicago and need help identifying one of them. I listed them both on ebay tonight but the one I am having a bit of trouble with is from the catalogued 1905-09 Horner cabinet set (page 174 of the 2004 standard catlog). It was told to me when I bought it that it was either Carl Lundgren or Ed Ruelbach. At first I thought it was Ed, but now I cant tell. I have searched through every known composite from the cubs and can match the uniform exactly but not the player. Since this is in the card catalog now I thought this might be of interest.

Thanks for any help

Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

It's Rube Kroh. In most composites his hair is parted on the opposite side. It's a beautiful cabinet, and one I've never personally held. I have cabinets of Reulbach and Lundgren, but this is surely a much rarer pitcher. It would be remarkable if it were from 1908, as Kroh pitched but 12 innings that year--none in the Series.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

I will add that to my item discription, thanks for the information. I think it is the first Cubs player to be found in this particular set of cabinets (at least from the 2004 guide) but I am not positive.

Rhys

Old 02-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Excluding from the equation the identity of the player, that is an amazing example of a Horner photograph. The finest I've seen.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

What Horners does the current SCD catalog? Are they those larger printed examples with the black mounts, or does it include the smaller real photo cabinets?

Old 02-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

What a great picture - thanks for posting it.

I like Kroh - he has a cool T206 where he looks kinda crafty, like he's going to let loose with a mean spitter.

Apparently he's not a big fan of ironing though...

Old 02-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Nobody was a big fan of ironing. I was going to say, that's a truly AMAZING photo. It' so clear and sharp! But I'd never seen a Horner photo before, and thought maybe they were all that way...so I didn't.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

The new SCD (2004) lists cabinets from this particular set that mine is from in their new book. A few of the prices are from recent auctions while the $400 near mint price tag for commons is a bit off.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

I'm not as knowedgeable about Horner pricing as Elliot and others, but I've never seen a Horner cabinet of a Major Leaguer that has Horner's name on the mount sell for less than $1,000.