NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-30-2024, 08:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Trout hurt again, naturally

He almost lasted a month this time.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...entire-season/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:57 PM
Ben North

That sucks. I am sure the team he plays for will miss his 220 batting average.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:53 AM
James M.

It's a shame. He was on pace to be an inner circle Hall of Famer with how his career was stacking up in his 20's. Truly mirroring the likes of Mickey Mantle. All the talent in the world, but his body is failing him as he hit his 30's.

3 MVP's, a slew of other awards. I don't think this is the "end" for him, but at this point he needs to consider maybe giving up playing the field.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:34 AM

Giving up playing the field is a really good idea.

The average is low, but he's leading the league in home runs. I'd prefer a high average and home runs, but still, home runs cover a lot of sins.

It's amazing that Trout is going to go down as a disappointment. If reflects just how much promise he had that a guy who was already well-qualified for the hall of fame before he turned 30 is still a "what might have been" story.

Some random facts for Trout-appreciation-purposes:

His career OPS+ (on base percentage plus slugging percentage, adjusted for the park he plays in and normalized so 100 is average) is 173. It's the best among active players. Hank Aaron's was 155 (and 156 through the same age as Trout; Aaron was amazingly consistent). Mike Schmidt's career OPS+ was 148.

His WAR is about 86. That's 50th all-time. Eyeballing the list, the only center fielders ahead of him are Mays, Cobb, Speaker, and Mantle. Before injuries struck he was averaging 9 WAR per season. Age would take some of that naturally, but sans injury (and COVID) he was only about four seasons from overtaking Mantle.

Even with all of his injuries he was still on pace for a 6.5 WAR season this year (until he knee gave out). He is very battered, but he's still all-star quality when he's healthy.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:22 AM
J@mes In.gram

It's how it is today with all your superstars "du jour". Tell me again how much bigger, stronger, faster they are. Whoopee effing do. They all break down.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 05-01-2024 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
It's how it is today with all your superstars "du jour". Tell me again how much bigger, stronger, faster they are. Whoopee effing do. They all break down.
It certainly seems that way. Is there too much emphasis on strength and not enough on flexibility? Is it just that in the past players tended to play through injuries whereas now a hangnail sends them to the DL? Something else?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It certainly seems that way. Is there too much emphasis on strength and not enough on flexibility? Is it just that in the past players tended to play through injuries whereas now a hangnail sends them to the DL? Something else?
It makes me appreciate even more what Hank Aaron achieved. Even though he's carved into the Mount Rushmore of baseball, I think he's probably underrated. Along the same lines, I suspect that the achievements of the lithe Ichiro (with his custom-made flexibility machines) will look even more impressive in hindsight. I was reading somewhere that the guy throws in the upper 80s right now, as a 50 year old.

Last edited by bk400; 05-01-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
It makes me appreciate even more what Hank Aaron achieved. Even though he's carved into the Mount Rushmore of baseball, I think he's probably underrated. Along the same lines, I suspect that the achievements of the lithe Ichiro (with his custom-made flexibility machines) will look even more impressive in hindsight. I was reading somewhere that the guy throws in the upper 80s right now, as a 50 year old.
And recall that Ichiro already had played in Japan for NINE years when he started in Seattle. That's 28 total seasons, one more than Nolan. OK the last one doesn't really count but still.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
And recall that Ichiro already had played in Japan for NINE years when he started in Seattle. That's 28 total seasons, one more than Nolan. OK the last one doesn't really count but still.
I know it may be blasphemy on this forum, but between Ichiro and Pete Rose, I'd take Ichiro all day long. To me, he's the GOAT of pure hitting.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

They are bigger, faster, stronger, better physical specimens. And yet their playing time is poor. Pitchers especially, who are now babied extensively with pitch counts and very low inning totals, are still mostly unable to piece together full careers anymore. The current approach does not seem to work in the long run, but it does work for the short term analytics that everyone is using, playing too, and getting paid on.

A player is incentivized to perform extremely well early on, at the absolute best all-out they can, until their initial contract is up and they get the lifetime mega contract and then it doesn't matter what they do. Teams are revolving around the analytics that are based on current short samples, how much WAR are they producing right now? This year? Last year? They are, for the most part, not looking at the future, even as they hand out hundreds of millions for the extended contracts, they are paying for past performance for young guys and paying them for that until they are old.

In the past, players on single-year-at-a-time contracts and a reserve clause maximized income by playing well for a long time. A team generally paid for the next season, based on past performance but a year at a time. To get that contract again, a player still needed to perform that next year. There is no reason not to go all out everything while young and endure the injuries and problems that the current approach of 100% all out every single pitch and play seems to be creating.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:06 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
They are bigger, faster, stronger, better physical specimens. And yet their playing time is poor. Pitchers especially, who are now babied extensively with pitch counts and very low inning totals, are still mostly unable to piece together full careers anymore. The current approach does not seem to work in the long run, but it does work for the short term analytics that everyone is using, playing too, and getting paid on.

A player is incentivized to perform extremely well early on, at the absolute best all-out they can, until their initial contract is up and they get the lifetime mega contract and then it doesn't matter what they do. Teams are revolving around the analytics that are based on current short samples, how much WAR are they producing right now? This year? Last year? They are, for the most part, not looking at the future, even as they hand out hundreds of millions for the extended contracts, they are paying for past performance for young guys and paying them for that until they are old.

In the past, players on single-year-at-a-time contracts and a reserve clause maximized income by playing well for a long time. A team generally paid for the next season, based on past performance but a year at a time. To get that contract again, a player still needed to perform that next year. There is no reason not to go all out everything while young and endure the injuries and problems that the current approach of 100% all out every single pitch and play seems to be creating.
This is 100% correct, every word.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 05-01-2024, 04:16 PM

Such a bummer. Batting average aside he was off to a great start. I do agree that DH must be in his future now. He's only appeared as a DH in 81 career games up until now.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Such a bummer. Batting average aside he was off to a great start. I do agree that DH must be in his future now. He's only appeared as a DH in 81 career games up until now.
10 HR and only 14 RBI. That could be a record low for 10 HR.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-01-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:48 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
10 HR and only 14 RBI. That could be a record low for 10 HR.
Angels aren't very good and Trout has been leading off lately so probably not a lot of RBI opportunities.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Angels aren't very good and Trout has been leading off lately so probably not a lot of RBI opportunities.
Hitting .200 doesn't help either. When did he last play a full season?

Old 05-01-2024, 05:02 PM

Those 10 home runs were leading all of baseball. His OPS+ was 141. Mortal for Trout, maybe. But not a good start?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:48 PM
Eric Perry

Brilliant start, speed and power before injury issues, 3 MVP Awards, body breaking down in his 30s but still great when healthy.

(sarcasm incoming)

Remind me again why people compared this guy to Mickey Mantle?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-01-2024, 07:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Had his career not been riddled with injuries, he could have been the next Mantle. Prodigious gifts. But can’t stay on the field

Sort of a mocking tone to some of the thread. I don’t get it. Sucks for him. Sucks for his team. Sucks for baseball. Seems like a good guy.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
... the injuries and problems that the current approach of 100% all out every single pitch and play seems to be creating.
I lay a lot of the blame at the feet of the 'Travel Ball / Development $yndicate'. Young kids are training and playing all year long. They are being trained in "explosiveness". It's no wonder why things explode. Redlining any engine will cause it to breakdown sooner than later. I'd wager that most of the pitchers drafted have thrown more innings than a 5 yr minor leaguer who made a MLB roster in the 80's. And many have had a Tommy John or two.

No 12 yr old should be doing medicine ball twist throws in November. Or preparing for a New Year's tournament in FL.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5825337/
Old 05-02-2024, 03:47 PM

I really don't think this is a common issue amongst players who don't pitch. Aside from specific people (like Trout, Anthony Rendon, Stanton, even Judge) there isn't the same injury bug as there is for the pitching side.

I do agree that pitching has been reduced from an art form to trying to throw a ball through a brick wall. It's pretty obvious to this casual observer that if you want to pitch for a long time, you'll need to learn how to actually pitch. And it's no mystery why somebody like Noah Syndergaard gets hurt every year.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:36 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
...pitching has been reduced from an art form to trying to throw a ball through a brick wall...
Very sad and very true.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-05-2024, 12:57 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Or were the recovery benefits from steroid use misunderstood…?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9934...ing%20capacity.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:09 AM
Robert J. Miller

MY son and I would love to see a healthy Trout for 1 whole year. Hopefully soon and in a Phillies uniform
Bob
Old 05-06-2024, 01:52 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Well he was AWFUL for the last 9 seasons so not sure how much of a ringing endorsement his longevity is.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions