NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Planning on traveling to shows in 2020?

I thought this would be interesting to see based on where people are from, what shows and how far they are willing to travel to find vintage cards for their collections. Which shows are you planning to attend in 2020 and how far away are they? Do you have a favorite show?

Other than the National in AC this year, I feel the Philly shows are typically the most consistently impressive shows in the Northeast.

In 2020 I'm planning on attending the following shows:
Philly - 6 hours
Strongsville - 13 hours
Wilmington - 1 hour
Atlantic City - 7 hours
White Plains - 3 hours
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM
Eric Perry

The Philly Show is less than an hour drive for me. So I’ll definitely be there.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

The three shows at the Chantilly/Dulles Expo Center, an hour away in Northern Va.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

The three shows at the Chantilly/Dulles Expo Center, an hour away in Northern Va.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:46 AM
+0m J()rd@N

I'll probably hit one of the Chantilly shows (3 hours) and am planning on at trip to AC (6.5 hours) this summer for the National.

Really, the entire southeast part of the US is generally skipped over as far as shows. Nothing from Chantilly to Florida (except for an occasional show in Raleigh) and heading west, you'd have to go to Cleveland or Cincinnati for a decent show.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:24 PM

Wilmington show ??? Is that any good. Is it in NC ? Not Delaware.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default New Orleans

I travel to shows in Dubuque and LaCrosse, which are 90 minutes one way. Madison and Davenport 2 hours. Eau Claire and Milwaukee 3 hours. I doubt that I will attend shows in Chicago or Minneapolis, which are around 4 hours away. I have tentative plans to go to the New Orleans show again, which is about 16 hours. New Orleans is a surprisingly small show but the gumbo makes up for it.

I remember when we had a show in my hometown, and a dozen or so shows within 40 minutes of my home, but those days are long gone.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Wilmington show ??? Is that any good. Is it in NC ? Not Delaware.
I would guess Mass from the travel times.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Bob Andrews

I hit the two TriStar Houston shows each year. Last year I made the trip to Dallas to the show Leon co-sponsored which was the first time I'd actually traveled to an out-of-town show since the Nationals in Arlington in the 80s.

Lately, I've given some thought to making the Atlantic City National. I grew up and still have family in the NY/NJ metro area. I may try for a 'kitchen pass'.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Jimmy Motz

I will attend all the Chicago Sports Spectacular shows in Rosemont...I live near Madison WI, so only about 2 1/2 hour drive
Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Jeff H

We have it pretty good in Western MI. There are several shows with in 45 minutes of where I live. For the most part there is a decent mix of cards from the 50's to present, which works out well for my son and me. Every once in a while there will be pre 1950 cards. Muskegon, Holland, and a few different venues in the Grand Rapids area. There even more options with in 3 hours over in the Detroit area.
That being said my son and I get to several shows a year.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Strongsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
I thought this would be interesting to see based on where people are from, what shows and how far they are willing to travel to find vintage cards for their collections. Which shows are you planning to attend in 2020 and how far away are they? Do you have a favorite show?

Other than the National in AC this year, I feel the Philly shows are typically the most consistently impressive shows in the Northeast.

In 2020 I'm planning on attending the following shows:
Philly - 6 hours
Strongsville - 13 hours
Wilmington - 1 hour
Atlantic City - 7 hours
White Plains - 3 hours
Is Strongsville that great a show - 13 hours travel??! I've never been.

Definitely hit Philly 1-2 x (2.5-3hours)
A/C - 2.5-3 hours
White Plains - 1 hour
Hofstra - 25min (only because its so close)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM
M@rk Comer

I have to go to AC this year! Missed the last couple of National events. Other than that just some local shows in Jax.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-11-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM

I'm surprised people aren't jumping in their cars for a road trip. Avoid taxes and negotiate better deals in person with cash. Ebay and auction fees increase their asking prices and if your buying a couple big cards together you almost always get a package deal.

Is Strongsville that great of a show? For vintage selection, yeah it's a decent little show of around 130 tables. Decent mix of raw vs graded selection but it's an all vintage show! I don't have to walk by any tables without looking. Is it worth a 13 hour drive, absolutely not but I usually combine my road trip with a few shows on the way back home in PA, NY, or NJ. Also, the football hall of fame in Canton is a short ride from Strongsville.

Wilmington, MA has two shows per year, April and November. The fall show is the one worth traveling to. I wouldn't travel more than an hour tops for the spring show.

I went to Chantilly April '19, I was told 4-5 of the larger vintage dealers went to Strongsville so that was my mistake. Just go to Strongsville if any show overlaps the schedule. My thoughts on Chantilly are that it could be a decent show with the vintage dealers on site. Great food in the area though!

For the MI, MN, WI guys who responded, nobody mentioned the Shakopee show, anyone ever been? Is it any good for graded vintage or more of a collector grade show? I'd love to take a road trip out there and hit up smaller shows you mentioned in Dubuque, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, etc. Never traveled up that way and for that reason alone it's worth a trip.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There isn't much within 300 miles of L.A. I will be missing the National this year for the first time since 2004, but AC just sucked last time and it is hard to get to for me: ends up being a 12+ hour trip each way with either a single flight and a very long ground leg or two flights with a shorter ground leg.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 PM
je.sse @rnot

I won't be traveling out East for any shows this year. I may head to long beach or Frank and Sons if I take a Saturday off but that's it. I do enjoy shows but would rather take the money I'd spend traveling and pick a card up at auction.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 AM

Atlantic City sure isn't a convenient location for a National for anyone other then those already in the Northeast and even coming from MA and dealing with New York and Jersey traffic it isn't ideal. I'm actually surprised it's heading back there so soon, it's only been 4 years since it was there.

I've been to Chicago, Cleveland, and AC and of the three Cleveland was my favorite venue. That building is just massive!
Old 01-13-2020, 02:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
. I'm actually surprised it's heading back there so soon, it's only been 4 years since it was there.
I'm surprised that it's returning to AC for an East Coast venue. Seems like a much better choice would have been Baltimore or DC - both have large convention centers, plenty of hotels, are (fairly) easy to get to and have major league teams. But who knows what the criteria is when choosing a venue. Probably not any of the things I've mentioned above.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I think the only show we have around here is Rich's show in Dallas. Nothing in Shreveport, nothing that I know of in Waco. Those are the closest big cities.

That said, we're trying to get a show/trade day going around here soon. Shooting for mid-March if we can get a date pinned down and get word/advertising out. We're hoping the LCS lets us put a flyer in their store.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I won't be traveling out East for any shows this year. I may head to long beach or Frank and Sons if I take a Saturday off but that's it. I do enjoy shows but would rather take the money I'd spend traveling and pick a card up at auction.
+1

Never been to Frank and Sons. Is it worth a look? Any vintage or is it all Pokemon and magic cards?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I think the only show we have around here is Rich's show in Dallas. Nothing in Shreveport, nothing that I know of in Waco. Those are the closest big cities.

That said, we're trying to get a show/trade day going around here soon. Shooting for mid-March if we can get a date pinned down and get word/advertising out. We're hoping the LCS lets us put a flyer in their store.
To be fair in the DFW area, Kyle Robertson runs a monthly show in Frisco and 2 big 3-day shows in Allen. I have cut back for 2020 because of my wife's recent transplant and the possible need to continue to assist in her recovery. As of today, I have

2 Adat Chaverim shows scheduled (March 8, September 6-7)

One show at Comfort Inn and Suites Plano East (June 6-7)

Regards
Rich
Old 01-14-2020, 10:57 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I stick to the Sports Card Expo in Toronto In May and November as that's the big one around here. Mostly hockey but always find some ok Baseball deals.
Would love to do the National one day but it falls on a week my company puts on a a big tournament so they are blackout days for us.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Colorado shows?

Just moved from Texas to Colorado. Are there any shows that routinely come to/are present in the Denver area?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Dave Carson

We have three monthly shows in the Indianapolis area. The largest is within two miles of my house.

I want to get to the Spring show in Cincy at Moeller High School. That's just under two hours for me. The Fall show is tough for me on Thanksgiving weekend because I'm almost always travelling six plus hours to see family that weekend.

Not sure if I make any others this year. Columbus Ohio and Chicago are both three hours out, Would mind making JD's show at the Franklin County fairgrounds in Columbus sometime this year.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1
The National committee needs to be replaced .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
There isn't much within 300 miles of L.A. I will be missing the National this year for the first time since 2004, but AC just sucked last time and it is hard to get to for me: ends up being a 12+ hour trip each way with either a single flight and a very long ground leg or two flights with a shorter ground leg.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Shakopee

Quote:
I'm surprised people aren't jumping in their cars for a road trip. Avoid taxes and negotiate better deals in person with cash. Ebay and auction fees increase their asking prices and if your buying a couple big cards together you almost always get a package deal.

Is Strongsville that great of a show? For vintage selection, yeah it's a decent little show of around 130 tables. Decent mix of raw vs graded selection but it's an all vintage show! I don't have to walk by any tables without looking. Is it worth a 13 hour drive, absolutely not but I usually combine my road trip with a few shows on the way back home in PA, NY, or NJ. Also, the football hall of fame in Canton is a short ride from Strongsville.

Wilmington, MA has two shows per year, April and November. The fall show is the one worth traveling to. I wouldn't travel more than an hour tops for the spring show.

I went to Chantilly April '19, I was told 4-5 of the larger vintage dealers went to Strongsville so that was my mistake. Just go to Strongsville if any show overlaps the schedule. My thoughts on Chantilly are that it could be a decent show with the vintage dealers on site. Great food in the area though!

For the MI, MN, WI guys who responded, nobody mentioned the Shakopee show, anyone ever been? Is it any good for graded vintage or more of a collector grade show? I'd love to take a road trip out there and hit up smaller shows you mentioned in Dubuque, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, etc. Never traveled up that way and for that reason alone it's worth a trip.
I have never heard of the Shakopee show. They don't advertise on the Beckett Show Calendar or the SCD show calendar.

There are a lot of show promoters who don't take advantage of the free advertising from Beckett and SCD. It can make a big impact on attendance, and it hurts the dealers who set up at the show. It only takes 1 or 2 good customers to turn a crappy show for a dealer into a profitable show.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'll miss the National but I am probably going to book a family vacation instead, so I probably will have to drown my sorrows in mai tais on the beach in Kona...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I usually make all The Philly Shows and this year I plan to hit The National due to it's location in AC
Old 02-01-2020, 11:58 PM
J0hn H@rper

I'm considering making a summer beach vacation at Atlantic City for this year's.

Question for those who have been to the National recently: how were the deals there (especially for postwar vintage cards) compared to what you'd find on ebay? Better, worse, easier to negotiate?

I haven't been since Arlington in the early '90s when I was in high school.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Card Shows

We have 3 monthly shows in the Indianapolis area. All 3 are pretty good. I will make it to at least one of the Moellar shows in in Cincy. I would like to get to Columbus Ohio for one of JD's shows. Great venue at the fairgrounds and lots of dealers new and vintage. Not going to Atlantic City. Sick of all the nationals being east of the Mississippi. I agree with Leon, the National committee needs to acquire some new thinking.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:38 PM
Albert Bee

Default show

National in AyeCee is going to be awesome
Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I'm surprised that it's returning to AC for an East Coast venue. Seems like a much better choice would have been Baltimore or DC - both have large convention centers, plenty of hotels, are (fairly) easy to get to and have major league teams. But who knows what the criteria is when choosing a venue. Probably not any of the things I've mentioned above.
I have a friend who grew up in Baltimore and now lives in Bel Air. he told me there is currently a lot of political unrest and violence in the city. This may play into why Baltimore is being skipped over.

I went to the last 2 Nationals there and they were great and well attended. Outstanding waterfront. Also went to an Orioles game. It is an 8 hr drive for me but I would gladly go back there.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 AM
And.y Ell.is

I will be heading to AC this year, havn't been to The National since the last time in Baltimore. Both are an easy drive for me. I found good bargains my last time in Baltimore !!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:48 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Default Don't believe the hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
I have a friend who grew up in Baltimore and now lives in Bel Air. he told me there is currently a lot of political unrest and violence in the city. This may play into why Baltimore is being skipped over.

I went to the last 2 Nationals there and they were great and well attended. Outstanding waterfront. Also went to an Orioles game. It is an 8 hr drive for me but I would gladly go back there.
Baltimore's violence issues are largely limited to specific areas of the city and do not impact any of the major conventions that happen here. It's a city like any other...there is lots of good and bad, with its fair share of political issues.

With that said, the National is missing out on a great location, as you know based on your quote. The area around the convention center has everything someone could want...great sports venues, casino, great restaurants, lots of hotels, the waterfront, etc. Not too far from the airport. Easy to get in and out of the city.

Hopefully, it will come back!
Old 04-16-2020, 02:37 PM

As a retired law enforcement officer I would never spend a dime again in Baltimore after the way the city administration treated the 6 officers in the Gray case. I know I am not the only one who feels like this.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Today was supposed to be day one of this weekends card show trip starting in Strongsville followed by Troy, MI, and St. Louis. An epic road trip with a buddy seeing 350 tables in a weekend. We have another multi-city trip planned end of September...until then we wait.