NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Phil Garry

Default Negro League Cards/Collectibles Website and/or Book

Is anyone on the board interested in working on a project related to this topic? If so, please send me a PM or e-mail to: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com

What I am looking to do here is put together as comprehensive a database (inlcuding images) as possible of all known paper collectibles, ie - cards, postcards, photos, etc. for every significant Negro League player, starting around 1880 through 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke Baseball's color barrier.

What brought this idea to light for me was the recent offering of Negro League memorabilia presented by Hake's Auctions over the past couple of years. Many of these items were not even known to exist by most serious Negro League collectors such as myself.

Of course, the success of this project depends very much on people coming forward with items that they are aware of as you can't force anyone to disclose information that they do not wish to share.

Hopefully, some fellow board members will be interested enough to pursue this idea.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Negro League collectibles

I totally agree, Phil, the Hake's stuff from the Richard Merkin collection was mind-blowing, as were the prices paid. A comprehensive guide to Negro League collectibles is a great idea. I'd love to help but I don't know what I can do, so let me know if there is a role for me.

Two things do jump out at me: ending in 1947 seems a little abrupt, as there were many, many Negro League players who played after 1947 whose connection to MLB and high-visibility careers would enhance an understanding of the Negro League and an appreciation for the talent, but I would limit collectibles for those players to their Negro League careers, not the MLB careers they may have gone on to.

Second, I would exclude tribute items (but not per se, as some of them bear autographs not otherwise available), as there are so many of them now as to swamp the real collectibles, which I think should be the focus, but that's just my opinion (as a probable user/buyer).

Like many novice collectors, I have a few items here and there, and I'd be happy to contribute the meager catalog of items I do have.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Phil Garry

Great, thank you for the reply, 36GoudeyMan (sorry, I don't know your first name). If you are interested in participating in this project, please send me an e-mail to: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com. Depending on how big of a response I get, there will definitely be a role for you, maybe larger, maybe smaller.

As far as your ideas, both are good ones and I will be sure to incorporate them into the project. Career contemporary items will be at least the primary, if not sole focus, of the database.

I also agree with including prominent Negro Leaguers at least through the early 1950's but only those items picturing them in their Negro League uniforms, ie - Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Phil Garry

Thus far, we have 4 volunteers who are fully committed to this project. I would like to find one more board member as 5 is a nice size group, any more than that and it becomes very difficult to get agreement on anything.

Anyone else?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Phil Garry

This concept seemed to work very well when three extremely knowledgable board members interested in a specific segment of the hobby all got together to produce a masterpiece book pertaining to Old Judge baseball cards.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

I still think that since it's your project (your idea, anyway), YOU need to determine the scope. Use the other guys (as you have) to help you put it in concrete, but write it down - perhaps with mock-ups of web-site and/or book design. Again, let people know your scope - what date ranges, how many players (all info for all players, all for some players, some for some,etc), what info will you present, how, what format.

Once we know what you want to do, and you have a list of 'work areas' for volunteers, I think you'll see more responses.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Hey Phil,

I'd love to help with this project in any way I can. I love the Negro Leagues, however the cost to add it as a focus to my collection is prohibitive (other than some autos and photos). I would be happy to help in any other way I can though. I'll sent you an email shortly.

Thanks a lot,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

As an information junkie, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this project. I think that once you have everything laid out, compile all the known info that the major contributors have and can start giving board members an idea of where the holes are, you will see a lot more response.

At least, I know that's where I might be able to contribute a little, and I'm sure there are many other board members who have a small handful of Negro League pieces that they could contribute images and info on, but don't feel they have nearly enough information or exemplars to be jumping into one of the co-pilot's seats.

It is MUCH easier (and less daunting) to contribute missing pieces to a Standard Catalog than it is to compile and write the initial Catalog. This area of the hobby definitely needs to be covered though, and I for one greatly appreciate you stepping up to head up the effort. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Phil Garry

While it would be great if any of the handful of major Negro League collectors on the board were to come forward and volunteer as that would instantly add a lot of material to the database, I was expecting that to be the exception rather than the case. Maybe as others have mentioned, these individuals will offer their own personal items to be added to the database once the time comes.

What I am really looking for are a few people who are willing and have the time to research old auction archives, both online and catalogues, for every major auction house that has handled Negro League material over the past 20years or so.

Also, looking for research to be done on determining all "significant" Negro League players from the 1880's through the early 1950's, I have no specific number of players in mind and would rather be more liberal than tight with this definition.

Other key areas would be someone to maintain a database, webiste design and someone with connections for book publishing down the road. Possibly, a good writer as well.

Hopefully, this provides an idea of some of the different responsibilities that are out there to assist in this project.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Chris Hicks

I don't necessarily collect negro league memorabilia, I do have a great interest in the negro leagues. I would be more than happy to help with research of any kind. I'm also in the KC area which is home to the negro league museum. If I can be of any use please feel free to contact me.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks, Chris.

I was actually in St. Louis last month and made the four hour drive to the NLM in KC. Not quite Cooperstown but some nice things to see.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Thanks, Chris.

I was actually in St. Louis last month and made the four hour drive to the NLM in KC. Not quite Cooperstown but some nice things to see.
That's the most diplomatic description of it I've heard

I think they must have a funding problem - it was disappointing to see so many replica uniforms. Perhaps some of our collectors will 'will' them some items. I'm not joking about this - I have several items that I plan to leave to museums and I think it's a good idea, especially the local town-ball type items.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Phil Garry

Just to update those who are interested, I was very close to completion of my research and a proof copy of my Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide but decided to go back and make some additions/updates which has set me back a little bit. I still expect to have a proof copy done within the next month or two and I am looking forward to publishing it shortly thereafter.

I am still looking for scans of a number of cards along with any other 1-of-a-kind type photos/postcards. If you have anything that you would like me to include, please e-mail me privately at: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 AM
Phil Garry

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Derek Granger

Default Negro League baseball cards

Sounds awesome Phil !! Looking forward to it! I assume you've picked up my c1940's Dandridge PC. Also, how big is your scope? Are you limiting it to items on cardboard stock, or will you include Broadsides and photo premiums??

I don't have much expertise, but I'd be happy to give it a pre-read...from the eyes/viewpoint of a novice!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks, Derek. Yes, I have your Dandridge postcard included as a c1943 piece based on the uniform style.

As far as types of items, I am including broadsides with player images as well as team premiums, programs & scorecards (cover images only) along with photos, postcards & cabinet cards (only a couple of these).

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 05-23-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
rgpete

Default Ray Dandridge

Dont know if you have this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carmelo 001.jpg (49.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Phil Garry

Yes, thank you for posting the Dandridge card.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

I will try to post a couple of things tonight
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Phil Garry

That would be great, thanks, Jason.