NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: RP60

I think Jimmy Rollins has a great shot at 44..In this day and age with the crappy pitching, why not? Get hot and who knows how far you can go..Personally I think Joe D's streak will be broken some day...

Old 10-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: barrysloate

We were talking about it last night and I believe that major league baseball does not recognize hitting streaks that are carried over to next season. So unfortunately he will simply run out of season.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: identify7

Barry: I did not know that. Doesn't Hubbell have a two year record for most consecutive wins (or something like that). If pitching is ok, why not hitting?

I know, you are the messenger, not the rule maker. But it does not seem right.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: john/z28jd

According to official baseball rules a guy can have a recognized hit streak over 2 years but he wont break Dimaggio's single season record which will still be intact.So even if Rollins hits in 60 straight technically he will have the hit streak record but DiMaggio will still have the single season record and probably both will be recognized.There wont be any asterisks argument if it should come up because this has been a rule for awhile.

Rollins is almost as good a choice as anyone to have a long hit streak.He bats leadoff,he has great speed,some power,and he doesnt walk alot or strikeout alot

Old 10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: Damian Anderson

I think it might be tougher to put together a long streak over two seasons if the season ended mid stread. Say 30 games or so. 50 game streak and 7 game next season not so tough.

Damian

Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: T206Collector

...Rollins won't get anywhere near DiMaggio.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

The mental pressure to achieve such a fete is enormous.
DiMaggio was able to achieve it in Major League play be-
cause he was well aware of what it takes. You see, he had
been there before. With the San Francisco Seals he ran a
66 game hitting streak just before he came up to the Big
Leagues.

No, I think DiMaggio's 56 - game hitting streak will be
a record that will not be broken for a long, long time.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: Elliot

I believe Dimaggio's minor league streak was 61 games.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: cmoking

His streak right now is 36 games. He needs 20 more to tie Dimaggio.

Assumptions:
he's a true .310 hitter
He gets on average 4.5 at bats a game

the probability of him getting to 56 (20 more games) is 1.5%

the true odds are probably even lower because of all the pressure he'll be on from the media and himself.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: identify7

And what was the chance of Maris hitting 61?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: barrysloate

You know people forget that Maris still holds the AL record for HRs in a season. In my earlier post I mentioned that Rollins's streak could not be carried into next season, but I believe it does count. But who is to say he will be in the same groove in six months. It will be a whole new set of circumstances. And yes, Hubbell won his games over two seasons, and that has always been considered the record.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Streak...

Posted By: Scott Forrest

It's just too easy to come on here and state positively that something won't happen when the odds are incredibly in favor of you being right...doesn't make you clairvoyant.

BTW - if you haven't read "Baseball in 41" by Robert Creamer, you need to. I was convinced after reading this book that 1941 was the best baseball season ever, and I wasn't even born yet - it really brings the DiMaggio streak and Williams' quest for .400 back to life, and also all the other things that were going on in '41 (war starting, life in general).