NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default scg's getting sloppy!

Posted By: peter ullman

I'm a tad disappointed SCG screwed this one up...one of my favorites!

Item number: 230309034070

Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Peter - I think the grader at SGC just accidentally selected the wrong type for that e90-1, just like you accidentally wrote SCG instead of SGC. happy.gif

I'm sure they'd fix it free of charge.

No one is perfect - the question is, how do you handle it when a mistake is made.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

I had submitted a bunch of '48 Bowmans and they had switched the Slaughter RC and Mize RC slabs on accident. I contacted them, and on my next submission, they switched them back free of charge. Not a big deal.

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

I always mix that up...sports-card-guaranty...scg...no?

Nonetheless...a rookie mistake...from a company I expect more from.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rand

hey peter, are you a psa submitter or sgc person? once i hear your response i'll be able to write my thoughts on the topic.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

I have never submitted a card to psa...maybe 20 or so to sgc...mainly to sell cards. I'm not a huge fan of grading services in general.

I just noticed this while perusing ebay...and thought it was kinda lame...I hold sgc higher than any other service!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

interesting point of view, you say you've submitted about 30 cards to sgc for selling purposes and i assume were happy with the results. psa is not an avenue for your grading purposes. i would think that because sgc does not charge a membership fee? i think the seller tonyetrade, whom i have bought some great cards from over the years, may have missed it as well. he could have sent the card back for a new flip. about 4 years ago a bought a 33 goudey # 92 lou gehrig psa 6 from a buy it now from a dealer on ebay. what i saw in the scans that the dealer didnt see in the listing is the card was actually #160. when i recieved it, it was in fact # 160 although the psa label was #92. a tough card in high grade and worth considerably more than #92. who should be bothered by the mistake.. the submitter, psa labeler/grader, the dealer, or me the buyer for noticing what it was supposed to be. anyhow, why this would be an irritant to you for this post i don't know. i have been submitting to sgc for 5 years, they will go out of there way to work with their customers, a mistake like this is easily fixable. i find your opinion won't carry any weight about your disappointment since you are not really a loyal customer and are so thin skinned about one mistake. how about psa's blunders?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

thin skinned? I'm merely kinda bored and tired...have been remodeling my bathroom all weekend and thought I'd post. merely an observation...and most on this board like Seinfeld...you probably do not. and I said I've sent 20 or so cards...not 30.

peter ullman

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Seinfeld, my favorite show. kenny rogers chicken was a classic, deloris rhyme, the wink, shrinkage, kramer's horse carriage when he fed the horse beef-a-roni... ect..ect.. i got a kick out of jackie the lawyer and i loved the J Peterman character. i would think you'd give sgc a ton more credit and a slight pass than to post they're sloppy. that's all.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Don't forget the 'jerk store" episode...that's a classic!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I just don't get it...

Just a mistake...

They'd fix it if you sent it back...

Slips swapped...

You guys talk about them like they're a grandmother who got mixed up as to which slice of pie you asked for...

Come on. You guys whine about one or two numbers on a grade.

These guys are professional graders. The don't get the do-overs or oops I'm sorry stuff. What about they're sloppy and they don't always know what they're doing? That's the ticket!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator

ummm.... what?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

A mistake yes. I would use the term sloppy when it refers to a grading company that makes serious mistakes with the actual numeric grading of the card. A certain company seems to do this quite often. (Not SGC) This mistake is a slip error that can be easily fixed.....Very minor.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GeorgeHC

I'm so keen-o on BEEFARINO, what a delicious cuisine-o, fit for a king and queen-o.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

More bothered by the seller not seeing this and getting it fixed before posting it. Then again the throwing card is better then the portrait anyway so I don't think this is an issue.

I just picked up a great deal on a card that the seller listed wrong. It happens that is why they have that old adage knowledge is power.

If you know more then the seller, then you can make out.

Nice card and one I don't see much.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Thank you bigfish, I now understand.

Any mistake that a slabbing company makes that is easily fixable is an acceptable mistake. Seems to me that reslabbing and reslipping would be easy... so any mistake (other than ripping a card in half during the entombing process) would be acceptable. So the slabbing companies need not concern themselves with precision nor with accuracy, we collectors will catch their mistakes and eventually get the cards reslabbed. What a wonderful world!! So what exactly is someone paying for when they get a card graded, obviously it isn't accurate identification and grading???

Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Frank, you ever make a mistake?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

They left an entire word off of the T206 Chief Bender I just picked up. Instead of reading "Pitching, With Trees In Background" it says "Pitching With Trees In". I'm sure they would reholder it for me if it bothered me bad enough to send it in because of that. Not that big of a deal IMO.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

I've had mistakes made by both PSA and SGC. It's a bit of a hassle to have fixed. Funny, I've sent a lot of stuff to BVG over the years as well and they've been accurate each sub. I love slabs.

Okay, the real reason I replied...

Setting, Jerry meets a hottie in the antique store. Elaine, after giving up on Jerry assisting her lift a bike off the wall, attempts it herself. But as she raises it, the weight proves too much and she falls backwards, ending up on her back on the floor with the bike pinning her down. She struggles to lift it, but can't make much impression, so she rings the bell on the bike.

CHRISTIE: I think your friend needs some help over there.

JERRY: You know, the only way to really help her is to just let her be.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

The intent of my post was to say it in not a big deal looking at the big picture. I am not real clear about the post you make before and after my post. No big deal. Have a nice holiday!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Cavagnaro

I've recently started getting some cards slabbed by SGC, mostly because of the comments on this board. On my last submission I received a card back with an error on the slip. SGC's response was to send it back in and it would be corrected free of charge. I find that service like that is rare considering that they will have to foot the bill for a new holder, etc.. That would be reason enough for them to be as accurate as possible with all of their grading. Everybody makes an occassional mistake, but when they cost money that's an incentive to keep them to a minimum...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

it only took a few posts to bring up a PSA mistake!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I have made mistakes, I'll make more. Experience comes from recognizing and understanding past mistakes.

That said, when someone holds themselves out to be professionally grading and identifying baseball cards, as a third party, so that the finished product can be trusted and accepted by card collectors, then they have a duty to be right just about all of the time. And if they're rushing along swapping slips, they need to slow down; if they are misidentifying cards, they need to retrain their graders and re-evaluate their grading process.

Here, was my mistake mentioning this concept, being mistaken in my idea, or thinking that folks on this board would understand?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

So if you're a professional then you shouldn't make mistakes?

Like people have said. Its not about the making of mistakes but the accountability you have for your mistakes that matters.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Agree with Frank, the grading companies should have safeguards in place
so the mistakes do not get sent out to the paying customer.

Steve

Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

exactly...steve...frank...where is the quality control here? This should not happen!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Donavon Arabie

I recently had a group of '39 Goudey R303-B's mislabled by PSA as R303-A's. I contacted PSA & they told me just to send them back & they would take care of it free of charge. They also are issueing free submission vouchers to me to cover my expenses for shipping again. I think everyone makes mistakes. It's about how you treat your customer in correcting those mistakes. In my case, I am happy with the way PSA handled my situation.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

alright, enough of this BS. we are talking about friggin pieces of cardboard that morons like all of us are willing to pay tons of money for. someone had a bright idea they could also make money if they put a numerical grade in a plastic slab on any given piece of cardboard. now we have toys infected with lead from china coming into this country, terrorists killing people everyday, a governor in Ill going to jail, medical drug recalls from the FDA, every american car manufacturer recalling 1000's of cars every year for safety defaults, ect.. ect.. ect.. and YOU want to pound your stick in the ground over a grading card company mislabel. please go to Vegas and visit the Bunny Ranch, it won't bother you after that, or maybe it still will.

ps.. no offense here (to the bunny ranch)

Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

you don't have to participate...rand. If I wanted to discuss the ills of the world...I wouldn't be doing it here...with you. Oh and the jerk store called and they're running out of you.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Great tie in there Pete.

Steve

Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

"Who cares? You're their all-time best seller."

Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

In response to the bunny ranch reference.... What is that all about? A petting zoo?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator

c'mon, both of you, think about what you wrote "THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!" exclamation point. its a friggin card.. my point is that it is not a big deal, but you think it is. in the big picture it is meaningless. why not give the seller grief for not having the card fixed before his auction. its rediculous to me that you have a strong opinion about it and basically do not send cards in for grading (of course until you want to sell them). maybe my comment was a bit overboard, i was making a point. do you even know what the bunny ranch is? ha ha "jerk store"

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator

its a brothel outside of Vegas. very famous for years, HBO has a weekly show about it. some guys just need to hire women.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

do women grade cards better than sgc or something? what am i missing?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I was thinking the same thing. Umm Bunny Ranch..Table for two please.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Never been to the Bunny Ranch, but be sure to slab it if you go!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

that'll cost you extra and don't pay for Express, enjoy yourself. happy.gif

Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator

so alterations there are good??? i'm so confused!

back to OP...peter i'll email the seller that it's actually the red portrait version and advise others to do the same.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Administrator

IT WAS ONLY AN OBSERVATION!!!!! I COULDN'T CARE LESS IF THE SELLER IS INFORMED...OR THE CARD IS CORRECTED. IN MY OPINION THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN...THAT'S ALL...END OF STORY.

Red Background throwing, dammit...not a portrait!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

happy.gif

just messing with ya Peter! Known you for a few years always suspected you were a PSA honk. You're right, it's the rare Keeler throwing, left-hand with ball showing and right glove hidden version. wink.gif

(this time I'll add the wink.gif so there won't be confusion)

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

thanks Quan...not only was it 6 am...but I have no shower as I'm remodeling the bathroom...I was easily irritated!!!

I thought you might be kidding...while SCG/PSA makes these types of errors...I know you never would!

pete ullman

Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I'd like to make the same point as rand but a little more subtly. happy.gif not bloomin likely.....

Why would a grading company handling 100's of thousands of individual transactions be expected to never make mistakes, be somehow more perfect than any other human related activity in society.

With reference to something Frank might appreciate, I'm far, FAR FAR more appalled by mistakes in our judicial system that has led to people spending large portions of their lives incarcerated when there was clearly no evidence for such action. 15 years later the person is released and I'm yet to hear a judge or prosecutor PUBLICLY come forward and humble themselves before the larger community and BEG forgiveness for such an extraordinarily heineous mistake. NOT EVEN ONCE!
But sure, pick on your favourite whipping boy for a mis-label. A MIS-LABEL. PLEASE, you're kidding right?
I get it Peter that this is not a public forum discussing the ills of larger society, but this lament regarding mistakes by grading companies is plain old lame (not you or your other observations), and I think Rand was responding to the seemingly petty nature of it.
You think grading isn't worth it - don't participate. You think one company makes more mistakes than another - make the informed choice and pick the one you feel most comfortable.
But please, if this is somehow supposed to convince collectors who chose to enjoy such services that they are being hoodwinked by inferior services I agree with an earlier observation.
Tell whatever company I just bought a car from to stop sending me notices about malfunctions and safety concerns (it's occured in EVERY make of car, local and foreign, that I've owned).
Call Dell and tell them that batteries that spontaneously ignite and set fire to peoples laps are unacceptable.
Or maybe just stage a sit in at McDonalds because their burgers look nothing like the pictures on TV!!!
ALL noble acts of civic responsibility.

Just think, if it weren't for 'production' screw ups we'd never have the variations and oddidities that make the cards we love so unique and interesting. Ted's Monster would be uniform, straightforward and far less interesting. The Leaf Musial missing cyan in Mastro's current auction wouldn't exist and I'd have one less thing to day dream about.

Finding reasons why grading sucks may be Frank's favourite past time, but it really has gotten old when the reasons to be found and discussed here are so frivolous.